What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glee: This is officially the best episode of the series so far. Outside of just humanizing Santana and making her place as this show's best character nearly secure, it treated teen sex much better than Secret Life, Skins, or any of the stupid other teen shows does.

So I finally saw this this morning.

I kind of hated it. It made pretty much everyone who believes in teen abstinence out to be a complete moron with actual mental issues.

The talk between Kurt and his dad was great (and it actually laid the facts out, rather than just yelling at the audience that celibacy/abstinence is idiotic). The rest of it was honestly just stupid. Even the stuff with Santana seemed a bit disingenuous. She's cynical and mean to people because she wants to have a real relationship with Brittany? What? I can see that being part of the problem, but that's nowhere near deep enough to be such a major part of her life. Her being insecure makes a lot more sense; the Brittany thing just felt forced in. (that's what she said)

It made pretty much everyone who believes in teen abstinence out to be a complete moron with actual mental issues.

This was my problem with it too. My concern is not that I think all teenagers should refrain from sex, but there are some (not mentally unstable) people who actually just don't want to do it. Episodes like this one make it seem like every teenager is making with the babies, and that's just not true. Some young, impressionable teenagers who actually do want to remain abstinent might be discouraged by seeing TV episodes like this because it seems like the only people who aren't having sex are either the mentally unstable ones or the people who just don't know exactly what sex is.

It was cute, and it was really beautifully animated. I liked it. Plus, I want my own pet dragon.

Rewatching the theatre cut of LotR: Two Towers today, and the extended cut of Return of the King later. Forgot how awesome these films were. Also, fuck yeah Rohan and Gimli. (Also, younger self, why did you have a crush on Legolas?)

Kung Fu Panda: I'm going to blame the fact that I had to restart the film three times, due to the disc being fucked (Someone had literally pawed all over the underside and scratched the shit out of it) and the crappy ending for the fact that I just generally disliked this movie, and probably will never bother watching it again.

The difference between Pixar and Dreamworks is quality vs quantity. Pixar puts out a single film every year that's almost always excellent. Dreamworks puts out three or four and knows that all of them will recoup their investment and turn a profit. Doesn't matter if Shrek The Final Chapter is a steam load. It makes money! Once again, this is jaded Will who longs for the days of hand-drawn animation and will probably see Winnie The Pooh two or three times when it comes out.

The Dilbert Animated Series:

The total reverse of the Dilbert strips: Funny, relevant and well done. Daniel Stern, Larry Miller and Chris Elliot are perfectly cast and I don't hate Kathy Griffin. Plus Tom Kenny and Maurice LeMarche are skulking around, and if you know voice actors, you know what that means.

Stern is a personal favorite actor of mine, dude is really talented and super-hilarious. I can watch him in anything.

And Larry Charles, the Producer, is the guy who produced: Entourage, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Live Action Tick, and fucking Seinfeld. Gives you a measure of the quality of the show.

Jason Alexander is a JOY as Catbert, too.

Short answer, I like this show because it's a paycheck for a pile of actors I enjoy.

The Wrestler: First half was better than the second. Everybody bar Rourke felt unrealistic, and were just boring to watch. It wouldn't be worth watching again. The only thing I took away from the film is how sad and fucked up that life really is. It's just a shame that the second half of the film just bored the shit out of me.

I don't care about his daughter, who has two scenes, and I don't give fucks about the stripped woman or her life away from the club, that is barely developed. She's incredibly generic, and the actress plays her like she's working for a pay cheque.

Next up: Changeling.

Changeling: It started off so damn slow. But then, it hit the ground running. So many fucking plot threads all going at once, and it didn't feel overcrowded, it just kept me on the edge my seat throughout, and at an hour in, I thought how could they keep it going for another hour, and they did, and it didn't feel like an hour, it was so intense.

Great film.

Oliver and Company: I really wanted to like this. But at the end of the day, it was good, but nothing special. The villain isn't really relevant, and the scenes with him seem like "Oh....there has to be a villain....fuck it, slum lord!" and the voices are grating at times, especially Cheech Marin. I get it, he's supposed to be funny, and he is, at times, when used sparingly, but every other fucking minute it feels like he has a line.

Ending came out of nowhere, and it's great to see how much this little girls parents care about her, she gets kidnapped by a Disney villain, and they don't even bother making it for her birthday party, that's just grand.

Zombieland Saw it at the cinema, but bought the bluray the other day. Damn if Emma Stone isn't one of the most adorable women in the business at the moment. I know she's meant to be all hard and bitchy in this, but she just oozes cutesy girl next door whenever she is on screen. I could watch Woody Harrelson in roles like this all day, he is fantastic in it.

Thought I'd put this here rather than an old WFP thread:

Been going through Gotham Knights recently by production order. Saw "The Ultimate Thrill", "Over the Edge", and "Mean Seasons". Latter of the three almost made me pull a Mike and bash my head through the wicker coffee table on which my laptop was perched. A lot of it, though, was stuff I had apparently blocked out. Next up: "Critters".