What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just watched Undocumented, a political survival horror/found footage film. It's a great idea but it is very heavy-handed. I'm sure that there's a huge portion of those who would call themselves Republicans who could not stand this film and the light it paints on those who don't like illegal immigrants. That said, it's pretty effective thanks to a chilling performance from Peter Stormare.

On the other side of things: Raiders of the Lost Ark has to be the most overrated film of all time. It was a snooze. Karen Allen was cute and Ford has his moments. But, for a pulp adventure film, it was boring as fuck. I'm in a series of showing my kids the movies I watched when I was their age (the ones Megan will let me show them) and they were bored for the most part. Cade, even today (we watched it 2 or 3 days ago) shook his head and said, "Raiders needed mummies." Half the film is people talking. The other half is action and only about half of that action is effective. Temple of Doom, which I've always thought was better, is up next. I'll have to convince the boys it's worth watching.

While I enjoyed the original Power Rangers back in the day, I tried to watch one of the other ones the other day and it was the worst thing I've seen in a long time. It's like they went out of the way to find the worst actors in SAG. I belive it was Jungle Fury. I even saw the first movie the other day and still enjoyed it. I'd disown my kid if he liked that other shit.

Jungle Fury might be the worst Power Rangers series ever. At the very least, it's down there with Operation Overdrive and Turbo. I didn't even make it through the first episode.

On the other side of things: Raiders of the Lost Ark has to be the most overrated film of all time. It was a snooze. Karen Allen was cute and Ford has his moments. But, for a pulp adventure film, it was boring as fuck. I'm in a series of showing my kids the movies I watched when I was their age (the ones Megan will let me show them) and they were bored for the most part. Cade, even today (we watched it 2 or 3 days ago) shook his head and said, "Raiders needed mummies." Half the film is people talking. The other half is action and only about half of that action is effective. Temple of Doom, which I've always thought was better, is up next. I'll have to convince the boys it's worth watching.

I don't even know what to say to that. I think I need some kind of adorable animal meme...

Hedwig! Help me out here!

HedwigIsSerious.jpg

There we go.

Temple of Doom, which I've always thought was better, is up next. I'll have to convince the boys it's worth watching.

I'm sure once you point out that they exchanged a strong female character for a stereotypical one that screamed and cried through the whole thing, added a kid sidekick, and came up with inferior dialogue and set pieces, they'll agree with you. ;)

They are going to love Shortround. He is the Jar Jar of the Indy franchise, only less annoying. The only reason he's there is to please the kids. The scared woman screaming at every turn is also fun for kids. The problem is that other than the mine car chase and heart ripping out stuff, it's a damn boring movie.

Pulp adventure stuff like that needs context though so it might not work for young kids, the talking and the mystery is a big part of what makes it work for me. Both the action and mystery are validated in the modern success of all the Indy Knockoffs, like National Treasure or the Da Vinci Code.

Besides films you show a bored 5 year old will captivate a 7 year old, take it from me. My godson was bored the first time he watched Star Wars, young kids gravitate towards the Madagascar-style CGI adventures first and build towards live action adventure. I showed him Miyazaki films (Spirited Away, Laputa and Howls Moving Castle) and he loved those, and it's not like those are catering towards fart jokes or cheap laughs.

"Foul Play in the Sky" is easily the best episode of Power Rangers thus far. Amy Jo Johnson shows off her acting chops by playing a very scared teenager who's stuck in an impossible situation. Over the course of the episode, she slowly gains confidence, but never changes into a calm, cool superhero.

For the first time ever, I think, most of the episode is dedicated to the American footage. Maybe five minutes are spent with the monster and Power Rangers. And, for I believe the third time, the Pink Ranger defeats a monster all by herself. Coupled with Amy Jo's acting, they're really making her the strongest character on the show.

There's also a nice bit where we learn that Bulk and Skull want to be pilots, and they actually act like human beings instead of bullies. (Though, for no good reason, they're made fools of by the end. Sigh.) Skull has a cute moment where he salutes a girl in a thong as she walks by. I have to think Jason Narvy improvised that, and it works for his character.

Also, Zack's love interest was introduced, thus ending whatever was going on between him and Trini, I assume. Jason has a few good bits of acting, and I think Billy was nowhere to be found.

By no means is "Dark Warrior" bad, but it's utterly forgettable and bland.

Billy is given false development in the form of a yellow belt, but there's no depth or heart behind it. The monster is generic, and the plot is, even for Power Rangers, nonsensical: Rita wants to steal Trini's uncle's invisibility formula "to make the Power Rangers disappear forever!" Okay, one, she's a witch. She could make her own invisibility potion. Two, we see on screen that the formula only lasts for a few minutes. Not forever. And three, wouldn't the Rangers be more powerful if they were invisible? Rita would no longer be able to track them, and they'd always have the upper hand in a fight.

I used to think that too.

"Switching Places" is a very odd episode. It's so poorly edited, we're never grounded in one place or the story. Within a few minutes, we're in three or four different places. In fact, the first battle (used loosely) with the genie lasts maybe 10 seconds before the Power Rangers are brought back to the Command Center to be taught a lesson in teamwork. What? It's almost like they didn't have enough footage to make their brain-switching plot fit with the original genie plot, so they cobbled this together.

When it comes to the device Billy used to accidentally switch his brain with Kimberly, if Bulk and Skull were able to use it minutes later, why did Billy have to wait an entire day to fix the machine to switch them back? Clearly it worked fine, at least in that regard.

Next up, the five-part Green with Evil saga. I think I'll hold off on watching it 'til tomorrow, though.

The "Green with Evil" saga is damn near perfect! The fights are intense, the drama is high, Rita kicks the shit of the team for over four full episodes, the Zords are surprisingly destroyed (then brought back), and the new Zord looks awesome!

From this point forward, I know I'll start feeling bad for Jason. Just as a did as a kid. He goes from being the leader to redundant, what with the cooler guy around.

During my run-thru, I was surprised how much I liked Jason. Specially after Tommy loses his powers, Jason firmly asserts himself as a leader. Plus, he carries the guilt (deserved or not) of not saving Tommy's powers even after he comes back which really adds depth to the character. It was sad that he left the show when he did, as he was really doing a great job.

Dead Again: A terrifically acted and scored film. Kenneth Brannagh and Emma Thompson just hit it out of the park and there are heavy undercurrents of Noir to the entire kit and kaboodle. I can see myself watching this several times just because there are a lot of "Ah-ha" moments that you don't catch on the first watch through.

Rules of attraction: I don't know, I expected it to be better. 2 out of 5

Real Steel: A fun boxing movie.Enjoyable 4 out of 5

Green Zone: Really goes nowhere. 1 out of 5

30 Rock: I don't know. The first episode of series six really didn't stand out to me. I'm sure it'll get better, but still, I felt a little letdown.

Colombiana: Enjoyable, it was a simple revenge film, but was enjoyable. It's what Salt really should have been. 3 out of 5

I'm not that big a fan of the Indiana Jones films as a whole. None of them are terrible (except whenever the useless wench from Temple of Doom opens her mouth) or are a waste of two hours, but I wouldn't call any of them spectacular. I'm also surprised how readily accepting Indy is of whatever cockamamie prophecy or legend it is that leads him to the treasure (granted, he needs to buy into them in order for him to go searching for the treasure in the first place, but how do you believe in both Shiva and the Old Testament?)

A legend would be more likely to be real than the actual supernatural entity itself. Indy notes in almost every film that he believes there's some accuracy to the legend (e.g. there's a temple in the canyon of the crescent moon) but not necessarily the supernatural elements themselves. At least until he ends up staring those supernatural elements in the face, that is.

I'm not that big a fan of the Indiana Jones films as a whole. None of them are terrible (except whenever the useless wench from Temple of Doom opens her mouth) or are a waste of two hours, but I wouldn't call any of them spectacular. I'm also surprised how readily accepting Indy is of whatever cockamamie prophecy or legend it is that leads him to the treasure (granted, he needs to buy into them in order for him to go searching for the treasure in the first place, but how do you believe in both Shiva and the Old Testament?)

I only really like the last crusade. And that's mostly because of the banter between Ford and Connery. The rest of the films I can take or leave.