What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

It Might Get Loud - I have been contemplating getting this from work for a few years. Having found this was available uncut on youtube, I am glad that I did not. I was under the impression that this would be a documentary watching Jimmy Page, Jack White & (sigh) The Edge sitting in a room with guitars and talking shop. Nope. More of a slight biography on each and very little of them together. Very disappointing. I come out with the same ideas I had going in: Jack White is a bit eccentric, Jimmy Page is a legend and (sigh) The Edge is just there. Only real take away was Jimmy Page's house. His record collection and basement of guitars? Just beautiful.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From Russia With Love: I liked Dr. No, don't me wrong, but From Russia With Love is just a vastly better movie. Bond has enough of his seriousness with some of the quips that we'll get used to, Tatiana is a million times more useful than Honey Ryder ever was and such a better love interest, and I gotta say that the villains were so much better as well. Grant works so well as an assassin and we get the first "appearance" of Ernst Blofeld who is actually threatening despite never seeing his face. Overall, this is probably one of the best Bond films I have seen. Mind you it's one of the half of the films I have seen before but regardless, still love it.

30 for 30: King's Ransom - Not the strongest of the documentaries to start with I must admit. I think that comes down to the subject matter being a little on the light side. It was a trade. I get that it was for Gretzky and all, but it was still just a trade of a player in the last year of his contract. It happens. And nothing about the deal seemed outrageous, so I am left thinking this was longer than it needed to be. What really shocked me was Gretzky was traded in the summer of 88, when I was two, yet I always remember him as an Oiler.

30 for 30: The Band That Would Not Die - Nice documentary about the Baltimore Colts band and them surviving without an NFL team until the Brown moved in 95. One little thing that I really like was that members of the band where not overjoyed when they got a team back, because they did to Cleveland what Indy did to them, so to speak. At least they acknowledged that.

Once Upon a Time - I wasn't expecting much but the writing for this show is amazing. The way characters and seemingly throwaway lines come back and mean something is really impressive, and the way characters intertwine is pretty awesome. It's as if they wrote the whole season before filming it instead of writing them as they went like shows usually do. Since it's on ABC, which is owned by Disney, any Disney fan will go nuts for all the references

30 for 30: Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL? - Donald Trump. I may be off, but I do think that the USFL could have made a good run of things if not for Donald Trump insisting on moving to the fall and thus directly against the NFL. And looking back at the players they had, the NFL would be a different place had the USFL not existed or existed longer. I mean, what if Jim Kelly never plays for the Bills, or Steve Young never ends up a 49er?

30 for 30: Muhammad and Larry - Just depressing. Seeing Ali at the end, still trying to 'The Greatest' yet when he clearly is not is just heartbreaking. What makes it worse is everyone involved seemed to know it was not a good idea to have this fight. Larry Holmes looked so sad after giving Ali the beating that he did. Such a shame.

The Newsroom - If you stick with it past the first couple episodes it gets really good, but can we all admit it borrowed heavily from The Office? Jim/Maggie = Jim/Pam. Jim Harper is way too close to Jim Halpert to be a coincidence. They even have a "quirky Indian".

Modern Family - I just watched season 1 and it's really funny but should have been titled Awkward Family.

30 for 30: The U - Very good documentary about the rise and fall of the University of Miami football team. What stands out for me is how smug some of these former players are. I understand the athletes are confident, but they still seem to think they were God's gift to football. Also, I think they try and play the race card too much. "Oh, the man doesn't understand. Blah, blah, blah." Sure, race played a part, but you were stealing car stereos and hanging out with drug dealers. You are not innocent.

And random extreme nitpick by me: You are doing a documentary on "The U" and you don't interview the biggest name on those teams? I get that Jimmy Johnson, Bernie Kosar (who seemed incredible drunk), and Michael Irvin are big football names, but Dwayne Johnson is the biggest name that was on any of those teams. Yeah, he was a shit player, but he was still a player on the 91 national championship team.

Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated continues to be awesome. I'm watch an episode guest-starring Blue Falcon and Dynomutt. Outside of totally having a cameo by Quest Industries, the most awesome part was that Blue Falcon is pretty much Frank Miller Batman with much of his model reminiscent of The Dark Knight Returns Batman.

Just finished the first season of the X-Men 90s cartoon. What I really enjoyed was the constant "To Be Continued" nature of the episodes. Always something to make you need to watch the next one. What I didn't enjoy was most everything else. The stories are fine, but the dialogue can be just horrid. Storm is the worst offender. Granted, these are my X-Men and still hear these voices in my head when reading a comic. I shall continue with this, but might hold off for a while to avoid burnout.

30 for 30: Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The Knicks - Reggie Miller is just an annoying douche. And not in the annoying guy you hate on that team, but would love on your team way. He is just unlikable in my book.

30 for 30: The Guru of Go - Interesting look at a style of basketball that is destined to fail.

30 for 30: Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The Knicks - Reggie Miller is just an annoying douche. And not in the annoying guy you hate on that team, but would love on your team way. He is just unlikable in my book.

30 for 30: The Guru of Go - Interesting look at a style of basketball that is destined to fail.

What is your favourite 30 for 30 ? I've only seen about 6 or 8 of them but I think on the whole most of them are amazing. Once Brothers I could watch over and over again, and could easily be a feature in high school history classes about the breakdown of the former Yugoslavia.

Of the actual set, I would go with Once Brothers or Pony Express (SMU death penalty). If we go with everything from the ESPN Films Presents, I have to go with Catching Hell. I love how they break down everything to a "Who Shot JFK" level. Also, as a Reds fan, I take delight in the Cubs losing. And losing. And losing.

• 3 weeks later...

Three episodes in, I am still enjoying The New Normal. It's legitimately funny with just the right mix of weird Roseanne drama. That said, I fear that it and American Horror Story are going to continue my history with Ryan Murphy shows. Basically, it's like my actual relationships: They start out really good. We laugh, there's some awkwardness but, despite the weirdness, it's pretty awesome. Then it starts to dip in quality. I want something normal but they always become preachy which just gets on my nerves to no end. However, I can't end it. Slowly, I stick with them despite privately hating every moment, mentally projecting improvement where there is none. Then comes the self-loathing and I just want the network to end my misery.

What I'm saying is that I should really stop watching Glee.

I finished THE MERRY WIDOW (1925) last night. While containing some of problems with early romance films (the lovers falling in love without much depth, etc), it's a pretty great silent drama. Erich von Stroheim's direction was excellent, with meticulous sets and cinematography. I was particularly impressed by the dinner scene between Sally and Prince Danilo that conveyed both the dramatic and comedic sides of their romantic tension cinematically. Mae Murray, who played Sally, was over the top most of the time, but when she held back, she gave an effective performance. John Gilbert was fantastic as Danilo, displaying a wide range of emotions without going over the top; one of my favorite silent actors. And then there's Roy D'Arcy as Danilo's villainous cousin Prince Mirko. While completely over the top, his performance was the best part of the film. He's the classic stereotypical cinematic villain in all his glory. He did the traditional villain acts like interfere with his cousin's romance and throw crazy parties with other government officials, he also knocked a random old man down and started kicking him repeatedly. All while wearing a monocle, Dali moustache, and evil grin through almost the entire film. I mean, just look at the guy. It was amazing. Between the direction and the performances, THE MERRY WIDOW is a perfect example of combining artistry with entertainment.