What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

It's a film you really have to think about and one of my favorites.

And we're back where we started. Like I said, I really liked the film when I finished it, it was only later when I thought about the few things that really bothered me, that I started to change my opinion on the film.

When I say "you" there, it wasn't directed at you^, I just meant any viewer of the film. And I was more-less just reinforcing that the film is meant to be viewed more as a social commentary rather than just a story about college kid who had an affair.

One thing I found funny was Hoffman using a cross to keep back Elaine's family, just the possible symbolism of him using their own religion as a defence against these crazy people was funny to me.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. Just another great image that gives the film just another layer of depth and topicality. Just how the adults are muted out, he sees them as almost vampire creatures, pushing back the evil with the holy cross. Genius.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a film you really have to think about and one of my favorites.

And we're back where we started. Like I said, I really liked the film when I finished it, it was only later when I thought about the few things that really bothered me, that I started to change my opinion on the film.

When I say "you" there, it wasn't directed at you^, I just meant any viewer of the film. And I was more-less just reinforcing that the film is meant to be viewed more as a social commentary rather than just a story about college kid who had an affair.

One thing I found funny was Hoffman using a cross to keep back Elaine's family, just the possible symbolism of him using their own religion as a defence against these crazy people was funny to me.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. Just another great image that gives the film just another layer of depth and topicality. Just how the adults are muted out, he sees them as almost vampire creatures, pushing back the evil with the holy cross. Genius.

Viewing this post independently of others I first thought it was about a film from the Saw franchise due to the Hoffman reference. You can imagine how confused I was by the time I got to the affair bit.

But yeah, I love The Graduate. Just visually it's astounding for its era. Plus Katherine Ross is gorgeous in it.

Blade Runner: It was the final cut, by the way. I fucking loved this movie. I hadn't seen it before but, by the halfway point, I realized how much I loved it. The style of the world, the hinting at a larger mythology hidden behind it all, the music. It was so well acted as well. I could watch this movie so many times and still not pick up on some of the subtleties.

The Living Daylights: This is more like it. After some less than good movies with Moore, Dalton was a breath of fresh air. I really think that Dalton should have gotten a few more movies but he made the most of the years that were given to him. We had what was a pretty good villain scheme and a Bond girl that could actually do something. John Rhys-Davies was just awesome here.

License to Kill: Another great Bond film. It's so dark yet Bond still gets the time to quip here and there. The thing that really works for me in the movie is that Dalton really does convey that Bond has lost everything and is willing to rish what he has left for the sake of this friend who was viciously attacked.

Big Trouble in Little Tokyo: Another terrific one. For starters, Lo Pan is one of the greatest film villains of the 90s. For that matter, Jack Burton is one of the best action heroes ever. So much of the film reminds me of dialogue in 30s movies and it works so well as an action film. I would watch so many sequels to this movie.

The Man with the Iron Fists: As long as you don't go into it expecting something Oscar worthy, this one is fun. It's got three things going for it. 1. Wire work kung fu 2. Enough blood and guts to fill a swimming pool 3. Asians in 80s hair metal wigs

Special props to Batista for ripping out a child's throat "Roadhouse style" just to get someone's attention.

The Expendables 2: Nowhere near as good as the first one. It just sort of goes on and tick off every cliche it can. Like introducing a new character, then killing them off, just to show off how much of a bad guy, the villain really is.

I just watched this as well and I agree. If you kill someone off, make it Jet Li (because he fucks off ten minutes in anyways) or Randy Couture (because he really adds nothing and is easily the least memorable of the group).

Big Trouble in Little Tokyo: Another terrific one. For starters, Lo Pan is one of the greatest film villains of the 90s. For that matter, Jack Burton is one of the best action heroes ever. So much of the film reminds me of dialogue in 30s movies and it works so well as an action film. I would watch so many sequels to this movie.

You are aware that Jack Burton isn't the hero, right? He's just the sidekick...

Santa and The Ice Cream Bunny: Jesus Christ... It's a movie from the 70s about Santa Claus getting stuck on a beach in Florida, telepathically summoning children to get his sleigh out of the sand, and then, about a quarter in, the movie turns into a film about Thumbelina FOR NO REASON! After all that, then Santa gets saved by a nightmare fuel rabbit who, I guess, drives him to the north pole? I dunno, just so sucky. This is on the level of Manos.

A Smokey Mountain Christmas: Dolly Parton and her boobs star as a country singer with big boobs who decides to get away from it all by renting a cabin in the woods where she meets 7 runaway orphans. She also gets terrorized by a Stevie Nicks impersonator who hates her for some poorly defined reason and she's also a witch. Add in Lee Majors as a character named Mountain Dan and it turns out it's all a retelling of Snow White also.

Gravity Falls: Finally got around to really watching this. I regret not having started sooner. I'm almost through season 1 and it is such a fun show with an actual mystery arc going on. Between this, Adventure Time, Regular Show, and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, I believe we are living in a new golden age of Children's animation. Just go ahead and try the show. You will not regret it one single bit.

Once Upon a Time: I've been dragging my feet on really watch this show. I'll admit now, it's fun. There are times that it dives into camp, something I don't dislike, just a causal observation. Really, outside of the viewpoint character kinda being an idiot, most of the characters are freaking awesome. It's so much better when you realize that the entire show is pretty much The Evil Queen vs Rumpelstiltskin with everyone else pretty much just being pawns in their game. It's even better since both characters are, themselves, very mulch-faceted characters. I'm only about halfway through season 1 but will probably watch some more in the next couple of days.

Gravity Falls: Finally got around to really watching this. I regret not having started sooner. I'm almost through season 1 and it is such a fun show with an actual mystery arc going on. Between this, Adventure Time, Regular Show, and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, I believe we are living in a new golden age of Children's animation. Just go ahead and try the show. You will not regret it one single bit.

tumblr_m8vl5tkkSO1qf3vl2o1_1280_zpsdca7df06.jpg

Fantastic show. Kristen Schaal kills it, as is to be expected, but who knew Jason Ritter could crush as a cartoon voice?

Even though I think Ritter does the part fine; it's also super obvious that it's a fully grown man voicing a 12 year old. That kind of threw me off the first time I saw the show.

Ted - It was funnier than I expected, and a lot more screwball than I thought it would be. It has a parody scene of Airplane, which is a parody itself. The Flash Gordon party scene was amazing.

Taken 2 - Enjoyable, but not as good as the first one. I'm just throwing this out there,

but I would have let the mom go. She was not worth the trouble of saving. He sure does love that family of assholes that doesn't really care about him.

Wreck-It Ralph is excellent. Everyone should go see it. Now.

Watched this yesterday and thought it was really great. I went in expecting it to be a wannabe cross between Toy Story and Roger Rabbit and in the end it was close to an Alice in Wonderland crossed with Wizard of Oz. My girlfriend put it best, they had all these balls rolling down the hill and you didn't know which one was going to get to the bottom first.

So, watched a good part of Rent for the first time, and all of Snow White and the Huntman, cause the sisters got them as Christmas gifts.

Rent: There's parts of it that I will admit are genuinely sweet, but the entitledness of some of the characters really grates quickly. Probably got about halfway through it.

Snow White and the Huntmsan: Holy fucksticks this was awful. Dragged on forever, I felt more sympathy for the villainess than I did for Stewart's character (and when your villainess has more character and backstory than your main lady, that's a huge problem), and they probably could've excised about half the movie. It was very pretty, and very Celtic/German based for some reason, but that's about all that it had going for it.

In this, it's because she's apparently so pure that she's LIFE ITSELF, and in Once, it's mostly because she's leading an uprising against the Queen, which, I love badass SW, especially in the latter show (the former has a hell of an about face in being suddenly a badass, it's kinda weird and abrupt and I'm really going to need to talk more about this at some point).

From my trip to the movies yesterday:

Silver Linings Playbook: The performances here are fucking phenomenal. Jennifer Lawrence is getting her second nomination here, possibly her first win. She just has this beautiful rawness to her performance. Robert De Niro is back in form like he hasn't been since probably the 90s. Bradley Cooper is showing the potential I always knew he had. What I really commend about this movie is it's treatment of mental illness. Three of the main characters are all dealing with some kinda mental illness whether it's Bipolar, Depression, Obsessive-compulsive disorder, or whatever. This film is definitely going to be shown in any Mental Health in Cinema university class taught in the next few years.

Lincoln: It's not so much a biopic about Lincoln as it is about Lincoln trying to get the 13th amendment passed. There are three stand-out actors here also. Tommy Lee-Jones as the tart-toungued and often witty Abolitionist House Member Thaddeus Stevens is brilliant. There are so many layers to the character, it'll be a wonder if he doesn't win best supporting actor. Sally Field as Mary Todd Lincoln is also so subtle but she also has moments of intensity that just scream out. Once again, she's playing a character dealing with mental illness, forced to hold it back because of her position in life. Finally, Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln himself. Of the three, he's probably the most subdued but the way he inhabits Lincoln is so breathtaking, it's easy to forget you're watching a movie about Abe Lincoln and not the real thing. If I have one complaint about the movie , it's that it has the perfect ending point then goes on an extra five minutes. Those five minutes are completely unnecessary because we know where their going.

Django Unchained: First off, you will never hear the N word more in a movie. Secondly, it's Tarantino so there are buckets of Fake-blood but at least one scene where it's more visceral then he has ever done. Is this Tarantino's best work? No, it's probably toward the middle but we're talking about a guy who's middle works include Reservoir Dogs and Kill Bill. It's still brilliant and a great tribute to the Spaghetti Western. Jamie Foxx blows you away. He's smart, viscous, and charismatic the entire film through. The real stars though are Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio. Leo is looking more to be getting the supporting actor nod but they both should be getting one. Both are intense, funny, and all kinda of messed up. For that matter, Sam Jackson's character is just as messed up and awesome. Once again, only complaint is that the film goes on longer then it needs to but oh well. We get an awesome closing sequence as a result.

tumblr_m8vl5tkkSO1qf3vl2o1_1280_zpsdca7df06.jpg

So, WIll and Matt are showing me Gravity Falls tonight. This just happened:

tumblr_m7d6q4yj6R1qehpn8o5_500.gif

tumblr_m7d6q4yj6R1qehpn8o6_500.gif

No context for you.