What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

However, Ryan Hurst's Opie has got to be my favorite on the show. Maybe it's his roots in Ophelia and Laertes, maybe it's his "biker samurai" look, but everytime he comes on screen, I'm rooting for him. Since he's pretty clearly the children of Polonious, I expect a messy death for him, soon and given his actions at the end of the season, I fully expect Clay or Tig to be involved.

Love. This. Show.

I've been off SOA for several weeks because Megan found it too intense. I need to get back into it.

But Opie has been my favorite character from the get-go. He's truly relatable, but also the most badass motherfucker on earth when he has to be.

If you speak of the last ever Twilight movie, I have mixed feelings about it. I watched all the movies - mostly to laugh and repeatedly mock - but during the last one...

Oh god, the horror of the realization...

..I...I... actually sort-of... liked... it.

After several viewings I've concluded that Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master was by far the best film of 2012. How it wasn't nominated for Best Picture is utterly baffling to me but whatever that's the Academy for you.

To anyone who hasn't seen it I highly recommend it. Not as a biopic on L. Ron Hubbard, or even a discussion of Scientology but just as a character study and a view into the enter-workings of a cult. Truly brilliant and a fantastic addition to Paul Thomas Andersons incredible body of work, who is quickly becoming one of my favorite filmmakers.

On a completely different note, I'm watching Spider-Man 2 and I'm being reminded what a good movie it is, just good old-fashion fun. It's also reminding me how bad Amazing Spider-Man was. Raimi wasn't trying to say anything, he wasn't trying to do something new and modern, he didn't want to make it super dark, he's not making art, he's just making entertaining movies.

Also, while Garfield's performance was probably technically better, I think a prefer Maguire's performance. Maybe it's for the reasons I just stated, maybe it's just nostalgia, or maybe it's just that the character's better written, but whatever the reason I enjoy Maguire more in this role.

I really enjoyed watching Spider-Man 2, it's not a movie that should be taken too seriously. It's almost like the Teen Titans cartoon in that respect. Yeah it would make no sense in the real world that no one took a picture of Spider-Man in the train but in the world of the film it fits perfectly.

Maybe its just because I watch it more as a fun movie than as a superhero adaption, but Raimi's tongue and cheek directorial style creates this zany comic book world only partially based on reality. If you really want to analyse it there are tons of logical errors. But if you are willing to just give yourself to this logic of the movie it's really fun. Which is what I think a comic book movie needs to be.

I'm kind of tired of these super dark, super realistic comic book movies. Just embrace the absurdity of the concept and make an entertaining movie. Look at Richard Donner's Superman, my favorite comic book movie because it knows when to be corny and when to be serious. Honestly I think people sound dumb when arguing that it makes no sense that no one took a picture of Spider-Man in the train in a movie about a man with the powers of a spider trying to stop an octopus man from making a sun in New York City. Raimi's asking you to just embrace the absurdity in his films and once you do you'll see it's a really fun movie.

As far as the special effects goes. That's generally what happens to a movie after ten years, the effects become dated. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Spider-Man 2 is awesome, but I'd struggle to call it fun. Peter Parker's life throughout the whole runtime is pretty much misery piled upon misery, with a reprieve at the end. Also, Maguire's Parker isn't an arsehole like Garfield's interpretation.....apart from parts of the third film, and even then, he's hilarious!

Not everything holds up, but it's the most watchable Spider-Man film of the lot.

I had a blast watching it last night. I don't think the protagonists conflicts necessary corresponds with a movie being fun or not. And the movies overall goofy tone (offset by Peter's struggles) make for a really enjoyable movie, much more so than Amazing Spider-Man.

This season of Shameless is getting really good. Everyone on that show is amazing.

On Amazing Spider-Man, someone from a podcast said something that made me realize why I didn't like it. He said they made Peter cool before he got his powers. Instead of a nerd that can't even talk to girls, he's a skater that already has Gwen in his life. Like I've said before, this version of Spider-Man isn't for me. It's for today's teenagers, where being a nerd is cool instead of making you an outcast. His old origin doesn't translate anymore.