What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can we just have a moratorium on action movie heroes named Jack, in general?

Elsewhere I have a "Jack or John" thread running attempting to catalogue all the major characters with that name. So far-

Jack Sparrow- Pirates of the Carribean

Little John - Robin Hood

Jack Shephard - Lost

John Anderton- Minority Report

John Hammond - Jurassic Park

Jack Bauer - 24

John Locke - LOST

Johnny alpha - strontium dog

Johnny 5 - Short Circuit

Jack Reacher- Jack Reacher

Johnny Mnemonic- Johnny Mnemonic

John Conner- Terminator

Johnny Utah- Point Break

Jack Ryan, Tom Clancy novels

John Francis "Jack" Donaghy- 30 Rock

Jack Knight- Starman

John Sheridan - Babylon 5

John Doggett- The X-Files

John Clark- Tom Clancy novels

Jack Harper- Oblivion

Dr. John Watson- Sherlock Holmes

Jack Ryan Jr. Also Tom Clancy novels

Rambo, John. J- First Blood

Johnny Sack -The Sopranos

Jack O'the Green- Legend

Jack Tripper- Three's Company

John Carter- John Carter of Mars

Jack O'Neill, Stargate SG-1

Johnny Fontane- The Godfather

John McClane--Die Hard

J'Onn J'Onzz The Martian Manhunter

Jack Woltz- The Godfather

Jack Slater- Last Action Hero

John Corben/Metallo - various Superman comics/TV shows

Dr. John Zoidberg- Futurama

Jack of Fables- Fables

Johnny Drama- Entourage

John Stewart - Green Lantern

John Sheppard- Stargate Atlantis

John Henry Irons- Steel

Captain Jack Harkness - Doctor Who/Torchwood

Jack Torrance- The Shining

Jack of Blades- Fable I

John Proudstar/Thunderbird - X-Men

John Blake - The Dark Knight Rises

John Dillinger, Public Enemies

Samurai Jack- Samurai Jack

Johnny Bravo - Johnny Bravo

Jack The Ripper - From Hell

Jack Dawson - Titanic

Jack Travers - Speed

Jack Schitt - The Thursday Next

John Jameson- Man-Wolf

Jack Kelly - Newsies

Jack Clompus - Seinfeld

Jack Napier - Batman

John Cena- WWE

John Doe- Se7en

John Koesthler- Knowing

Jack Pumpkinhead - Return to Oz

Johnny Blaze- Ghost Rider

John Spartan- Demolition Man

This list could run forever.

So, finally rectified my great shame tonight and watched Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz all the way through in anticipation of seeing the World's End tomorrow.

Both were great movies and had me laughing out loud at several points. I'm a bit more partial to Shaun, as I'd seen more of it prior to tonight, and I like the slowly encroaching horror/buddy comediness of it all (and the end kind of made me sob, fuck off it's been a fucking long week). Hot Fuzz was a damn funny movie, but I feel like I'm lacking the context of English village life for the full hilarity of it.

We're the Millers - The definition of cliche. And massively unfunny. In other words, exactly as I figured it would be. At least I got in for free.

R.I.P.D. - Disappointing. I like the people involved in this, but everyone seemed rather bored and phoning it in. The really bad CGI didn't help matters much either. About ten minutes I realized this is 'Men in Black, but with dead people'.

Pain & Gain - The trailers really didn't reflect what this movie was. I thought it would be a bumbling heist comedy with some jacked guys. What I got was a slow, long, boring movie with some jacked guys. The attempts at comedy fall very flat. Being two hours is way too long and I lost interest around the 70 minute mark and just skimmed that last 50. (Tangent: Wahlberg looks ridiculous. Then the Rock shows up and makes him look tiny. Just damn.)

Pain & Gain - The trailers really didn't reflect what this movie was. I thought it would be a bumbling heist comedy with some jacked guys. What I got was a slow, long, boring movie with some jacked guys. The attempts at comedy fall very flat. Being two hours is way too long and I lost interest around the 70 minute mark and just skimmed that last 50. (Tangent: Wahlberg looks ridiculous. Then the Rock shows up and makes him look tiny. Just damn.)

I thought the movie just sort of fell apart after they started the heist. The only person any good in the film was The Rock, which seems to be the theme for all his films I've seen, a good actor in a shit film.

Just saw Charade with Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant. Freaking loved it. So much fun and so witty. At this point I've seen five of her movies and I'd rank them:

1. Funny Face - Mostly for the songs. I watch the numbers when I'm having a bad day.

2. Charade

3. How To Steal A Million - Another really fun one.

4. Wait Until Dark - Very suspenseful stuff.

5. Breakfast at Tiffany's - I have some fun with this but it mostly doesn't stick with me.

Daredevil: Director's Cut - Ever since the 'Ben Affleck as Batman' news broke, I felt like re-watching this. And it didn't hold up to what my brain made it into. This cut really disjointed doesn't flow at all. And I think that if this movie was made in a post Iron Man world, this story would have been broken into 3 movies and not 'Spider-Man 3'-ed.

I rewatched Gandhi last night. It has the classic biopic problem of eulogising the central figure overtly (although I've seen far worse examples) and the film is 3 hours long, with an Indian music-backed intermission halfway through. Despite that, I loved it. Ben Kingsley is amazing in it, the direction by Richard Attenborough is excellent and it genuinely made me hate the British establishment characters. And let it not be said that the movie portrayed them unfairly as villains - Edward Fox's General Dyer was as monstrous in real life, yet was widely praised for his actions by the Empire's ruling class.