What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

So a killer has to meet a certain amount of artistic merit before the FBI gets involved?

Local police- Help us please, the Jersey killer-rapist has raped and killed 50 people in the last two years, and we haven't the resources nor expertise to catch him!

Jack Crawford- I'm sorry, we've looked at his work and we won't be offering him a position in our caseload at this time. Perhaps if he enhances his portfolio, maybe starts painting impressionistic portraits from his victims lymph or turning their bones into swiss clocks that keep impeccable time.

Local police- But he's killing and raping so many people!

Jack Crawford- Yes, but until you can suggest a suitable wine pairing to go with his spree or provide a walking tour audio guide to his murders narrated by Morgan Freeman then there really is nothing left to discuss.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So a killer has to meet a certain amount of artistic merit before the FBI gets involved?

Local police- Help us please, the Jersey killer-rapist has raped and killed 50 people in the last two years, and we haven't the resources nor expertise to catch him!

Jack Crawford- I'm sorry, we've looked at his work and we won't be offering him a position in our caseload at this time. Perhaps if he enhances his portfolio, maybe starts painting impressionistic portraits from his victims lymph or turning their bones into swiss clocks that keep impeccable time.

Local police- But he's killing and raping so many people!

Jack Crawford- Yes, but until you can suggest a suitable wine pairing to go with his spree or provide a walking tour audio guide to his murders narrated by Morgan Freeman then there really is nothing left to discuss.

If it's ok to read that in the voice of Laurence Fishburne, then yes, that is exactly how it goes.

Because I don't want to spend £15 on the only showing of The Raid 2 tonight (cheaper showings in the next couple of days) I'm upping my martial arts commitment with a long overdue rewatch of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, maybe to be followed with Ong Bak. Basically the headline martial arts mold-breaking films of the last 15 years. Might get fancy and take Hero and House of Flying Daggers with me on my trip this week.

I rewatched The Amazing Spider-Man for the first time in a couple years tonight.

I don't really know why, but something about it clicked so much more than in previous viewings. Previously I'd been somewhere between lukewarm and outright negative on the movie, but this time everything seemed to work so much better. Honestly, it's probably that I was paying more attention to the subtler details and my expectations weren't set by the Raimi films. I formerly thought Peter was too unlikable in ASM, but this time I seriously rooted for the guy.

I do still have complaints. There's some rubbery CGI, the tone is too serious overall, and the movie is TOO DARK. Visually, that is. Every Spidey action scene aside from the short one in the school is set at night, and Spidey himself is barely lit. He's not Batman; he wears a bright red and blue outfit. I get it, "by the chill of night / at the scene of a crime" and all that, but seriously, Spider-Man should be brighter than this. Dark moments, sure, but not all the time. Even his heroic final web-slinging montage is dark as all get-out.

But in any case, I did very much like the movie. It feels nice to have a positive opinion on it for a change.

I was actually going and looking for a video clip to post to prove you wrong, but it turned out that wasn't the case. Looks like the CG in the Raimi Spider-Mans never advanced past 2004 with SM2. It looked gorgeous at the time, but it is pretty silly by modern standards. Weirdly, though, I think the final swing scene from SM1 is probably the best-looking thing thus far.

• 3 weeks later...

ExoSquad - I absolutely loved this. I only remembered the most basic outline of the show from childhood. But damn, this cartoon is just made of awesome. From start to finish, an epic story. And so many characters. Off the top of my head, I count 20+ characters and it never felt like too many people. And lots of people die every episode. Granted, nameless people, but they dead. The animation can be off at times (you can tell when a back-up studio was used during season 2) but on the whole is pretty solid. I put the ending (5-part + epilogue) off for months because I didn't want to be annoyed with a non-series finale. But it actually has an ending, which makes me really happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Orphan Black - The series has been slowing down a bit but it's still good. I love Helena so much.

Penny Dreadful - Just watched the first episode and it was pretty intriguing. I love the cast, and airing it now, when every insect is back from hell is appropriate.

Megan and I have been watching Psych. It's a little shaky at the beginning. Like they're trying too hard and unconfident. But I like the premise and the leads are great. Corbin Bernsen I'll basically watch in anything too. But, not unlike many other movies and TV shows, my hometown and surrounding areas double for all sorts of settings. On this show, it constantly shows over head shots of Santa Barbara California and then cuts to a closer shot that takes place in Vancouver or White Rock. It's pretty funny how much it rains in the second episode.

But the best part is when they get their office (pilot or second episode, can't remember). Their actual office is an old train station on the beach. At one point they must have shot the same scene in two different locations as the pier was out the window to the left from their office in one shot and out the window to the right in another, meaning they must have shot the alternate take in a tourist info kiosk. Fun fact: I once watched a guy with a katana get shot and killed by the police right outside of their office on the same night I got beat up by skinheads.

Edit: also, this is one of the finest examples of recasting after a pilot I've ever seen. They keep everyone except for the cute blonde detective, who is replaced by a cuter blonde detective. They reference the original character several times in the first few episodes.

Psych is a perfect example of a show that I can watch all day and then not remember a single detail about when it's over. A great way to kill an hour, and Dule Hill is hysterically funny, but about as featherlight as summer TV gets.

Psych is a perfect example of a show that I can watch all day and then not remember a single detail about when it's over. A great way to kill an hour, and Dule Hill is hysterically funny, but about as featherlight as summer TV gets.

This.

I always found Psych to be the more joyously infantile (and less grating) version of Monk.