What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

Balance of Terror. It's great to see how this one episode influenced entire plots in TNG. The basic idea of the unknown enemy attacking bases along the neutral zone was used again for that series, with the implication that it was once again the Romulans but in the end it was used to bring in another known but inactive threat, the Borg. There's just a nice continuity to the whole thing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

And Des? You don't even know, man. You don't even know.

Maybe I should give the show another chance. I watched the pilot and then never watched it again. It completely failed to grab my attention. Or I could be suffering from an overexposure of Doctor Hannibal Lecter, PhD...

Penny Dreadful: Basically LXG done right. Pretty as hell. They squeeze way too many plotlines into eight episodes to the extent that none of them feel satisfying or resolved, but the direction is good, the cast is fun, and I'm looking forward to Season Two.

Deadwood: I can't believe it took me this long to finally sit down and watch this. I love Westerns and this was a huge hole in my viewing. This is terrific. Fucking Ian McShane, man.

I never give shows much leeway, but you should always watch one more than the pilot. Today's a weird time for TV. It is the best time creatively, that the format has ever had, and yet, the pilots are always aired. Pilots are for the Studio, not the audience. I suppose that it's to save money, but the idea to air them started a while back and has totally caught on. Weird.

A pilot is a "tone print" and a foundation for a story framework. I was not a fan of Hannibal after the pilot. I thought it was stilted and treated its characters in a juvenile way (especially the females), but on episode two, that all changed.

I never give shows much leeway, but you should always watch one more than the pilot. Today's a weird time for TV. It is the best time creatively, that the format has ever had, and yet, the pilots are always aired. Pilots are for the Studio, not the audience. I suppose that it's to save money, but the idea to air them started a while back and has totally caught on. Weird.

A pilot is a "tone print" and a foundation for a story framework. I was not a fan of Hannibal after the pilot. I thought it was stilted and treated its characters in a juvenile way (especially the females), but on episode two, that all changed.

I give new shows the pilot to impress me. Sometimes, if I am interested in the concept, I will stick around for one or three episodes for a second chance. If If they don't, I'm out.

That said, I have watched most of the first season of Breaking Bad because people keep saying its incredible... and I can't see it.

It was actually a show I merely liked as above average until the very final season, I sorta put it on Dexter levels, interesting but inconsistent for my tastes. Some great moments but some filler in there too. That final two part season though, that was phenomenal, some of the best tv of all time.

Honestly, the first season is one of favorites overall. I guess I'm a purist but I can't imagine anyone bored or uninterested in one second of the entire show, I don't think there was an ounce of filler. It just connected with me on such a personal level, especially early on.

And oddly enough, Season 5 Part 1 is probably my least favorite.

Oh no, I gave up at the end of season 6, which really was a waste of Colin Hanks and Admiral Adama.

I hung on till the end of season 7. I still haven't seen season 8.

Same as Stav-bro. I've been told that season 7 was awful but season 8 is ridiculous fun. Not inspired enough to try yet.

Just saw "Captain Harlock: Space Pirate." Even though the story is confusing, it was visually stunning. I was told it is Toei Animations second most expensive project, and it shows. I never thought a studio would be able to combine grimy steam-punk aesthetics with the majesty of ships flying through outer space but they did it. The only Harlock story I have seen was the retelling of Wagner's Ring cycle, and the soundtrack definitely has elements of Wagner in it. That and Danny Elfmans Batman score. The choreography definitely was inspired by batman.

It is currently streaming on Netflix.

High Moon: SyFy decided to show the failed pilot for a potential show they would have run. What we get is delightfully insane. Written by Bryan Fuller, it reminds me of the good old days of Pushing Daisies. Colorfulm campy while being cool at the same time, I wish this had been picked up to series. As is, it'll exist to remind us of when we need to see something totally batshit insane.