What are you watching and enjoying?

Three episodes into Enterprise, and it's a pretty decent show. Archer doesn't really register with me, Bakula always has that furrowed brow expression and some really odd delivery at times. T'Pol is a much more engaging lead but so far a lot of her good material is reactive. I do appreciate how much she gets to take charge though.

The bickering and anxieties in this show are something else compared to the other Trek I've watched (first season and a couple episodes of TOS, four seasons of TNG). It's hard to take in the first two episodes (counting the pilot as one thing), but I can see where it's coming from. I'm hoping this show is solid enough, even if I have some hesitation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/17/2020 at 7:53 AM, James D. said:

Watching Norsemen right now. Really enjoying it--hilarious dialogue and a shout-out to the great costuming.

That rape joke in season 2 (I believe?) is top ten hardest I've laughed in my life.

"My wife would be very uncomfortable with the amount of raping I'm doing versus pillaging." Something to that effect.

Just watched the first two episodes of the 1994 Fantastic Four animated series. I got it and the X-Men discs in the mail today. They're corny AF but still kind of fun. That theme song though...yikes.

On 8/18/2020 at 6:31 PM, Dread said:

That rape joke in season 2 (I believe?) is top ten hardest I've laughed in my life.

"My wife would be very uncomfortable with the amount of raping I'm doing versus pillaging." Something to that effect.

Yeah, that one is fantastic. Another one I loved was, "The sea giveth and the sea taketh away...and this time, the sea......tooketh......my sword...."

1 hour ago, James D. said:

Yeah, that one is fantastic. Another one I loved was, "The sea giveth and the sea taketh away...and this time, the sea......tooketh......my sword...."

Haha!

On 8/18/2020 at 8:06 PM, Molly said:

The second season of that show is miles better. 

It definitely gets better animation and story-wise halfway through season one (with the introduction of Doom).

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to finishing Swamp Thing.  I watched the first eight episodes awhile ago and then not entirely sure why I didn't finish.  What I will say is that I remembered pretty much everything after a months long gap.  That doesn't happen often for me. 

I enjoyed the show.  Probably the 'best' live-action show that DC Universe put out, but I enjoyed Doom Patrol more.  Just personal preference.  I can only think of two negatives.  The first being some bad CG.  Swamp Thing himself looks great, but thinks like blood are PS2 levels bad.  The other negative is the entire Ian Ziering plot feeling incredibly backdoor pilot.

But an important positive for me was how they handled the behind the scenes.  Cutting down from 13 to 10 cannot be easy.  And it was way less cliffhanger-y that I had expected.

21 hours ago, The Master said:

Isn't it?! Have you made it all the way through?

Yeah, I finished last night. Episode 9 might be the finest hour of television I've ever seen, setting up one of my favourite TV moments of all-time in episode 10.

Really digging Kobra Kai, seven episodes in.

The lifetime ban on Kobra Kai in the eponymous TV show makes no sense. This isn't the same business, and is not run by the same people. It's almost certainly a brand new corporate entity with a brand new EIN filed with the IRS and new incorporation paperwork filed with the state.

(Which does raise questions how Johnny doesn't get into a trademark dispute over the name, but that's another nitpick for another time.)

By this standard, if some random person named Bubba who was born in 1990 started a dojo and named it Kobra Kai, his school would be banned from the tournament. I'm not sure that would even be legal.

And Daniel really needs to get over Johnny being a bully in 1984. I was bullied too. I was a nerd. But come on man, it's been 35 years. Move on.

The dojo being banned makes sense if The Karate Kid Part III is considered to be part of continuity. In that movie, the owner of the Cobra Kai franchise was legit trying to murder Daniel, and his students threatened to rape his female friend. If news of that reached the governing body, a perma-ban makes sense.

The grudge against Johnny, however, not so much. At the end of the first movie, Johnny seemingly makes up with Daniel. So Daniel needs to get over himself.

1 hour ago, The Master said:

The dojo being banned makes sense if The Karate Kid Part III is considered to be part of continuity.

Yes, but only if Johnny’s dojo is a continuation of the previous dojo, instead of a new business. If the latter, they’re punishing a separate entity because it shares the name as a previous entity. (Trademark infringement issues aside.)

Hence my example of how that standard could be applied to the hypothetical Bubba’s dojo. Bubba wasn’t even born when the events of Karate Kid 1 and 3 went down.