What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

It's a shame that Larry Drake didn't become a bigger star.

Hello!

DrGiggles.jpg

Dr. Giggles!

Fight Club: Slick, memorable and immensely quoteable, but as I get older, it's easier to see that this just isn't a very good movie. It's everything that it's meant to rail againist. It's a fun ride, but outside of Norton's great monologues and Brad Pitt's abs, it's ultimately hollow.

Storywise it is pretty one-sided, but cinematically I think it really is one of the few perfect films.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The integration of CGI in Fight Club really stands as the perfect example how to use it. That being, only when you have to, and very, very sparingly.

Yeah, it was where Fincher first gave you impossible shots and convinced you they were real.

Psychoville episodes one and two, three is on tonight.

This is an awesome mystery comedy from two of the members of the league of gentlemen.

What I love about this show in particualr is how they make Dawn French actually menacing, and slightly psychotic which is a character role, she thrives in to me. She plays a mid-wife who lost a child(We're not told how or if the child was ever real yet) and she carrys a doll around and treats it like a real baby. It sounds like it's meant to be funny, but the way she plays it, you are actually scared of her, and it just feels quite eerie.

When I was reading the Harry Potter and the order of the pheonix, I saw Dawn French playing Dolores Umbridge as she seemed to be so menacing and eerily nice, which is what Dawn French does best, she takes all the niceness of a character and accentuates them to complete disgust of the viewer in these roles(Like certain episodes of Murder Most Horrid.) and she would have been perfect casting to me, and when I saw the movie and it was someone else, and the role was really underused I was taken out of the movie. I mean the woman looked the part, but I would have preffered Dawn French in this role.

But yeah, Dawn French is awesome in this show and people should get the DVD when it comes out.

Oh, and I wasn't a fan of Vicar of Dibley.

Also, Ian and Stavros, have you guys watched the show on after that mitchell and Webb look on BBC2?

Anyway, catch this online, my pitch for watching this show is over.

I saw some of it on iplayer because I do want to get into it. Dawn French was great but then the guy turns up in the clown suit and I was totally taken out of it. It was the League of Gentlemen all voer, and I love that show but I've no desire to watch a watered down version. I'll try it again, it was just a bit disappointing to have the exact same act in what felt like wrong setting.

Yeah, some of the storys feel like league of gentlemen, the clown and the family of murders feel that way, the one that is the worst is the blind man with the obsession with the stuffed toys.

Those felt like they would have suited the final season of the league of gentlemen where they had single character episodes(It was my favourite season because of that.)

Darkman II: The Return of Durant:

Dear sweet unholy fuck, where to begin?

The characterization of Westlake/Darkman from the first movie is totally forgotten. This isn't a man who's become a monster, this is the same tortured soul looking for redemption that we lost halfway through the first film. His rages are so stupidly contained, and he's far, far too restrained. Nothing againist, Arnold Vosloo, who does an admirable job replacing Liam Neeson, but this was poorly written.

Durant, who is an amazing villian in the first film, is reduced to spouting cliches, and posturing, rather than his calm sense of collection. Ignoring the fact that he shouldn't even be alive. Larry Drake is wasted in this mess.

This movie sucked and completely misunderstood who Darkman is.

Onto, Darkman III: Die, Darkman, Die!

Darkman III: Die, Darkman, Die!: A much, much better film than the second. It restored most of Darkman's operatic, tragic nature. I was mildly annoyed at the reusing of about five minutes of footage from the second film, and the new villain wasn't a big enough departure from Durant. I'm very pleased that they didn't go with the 'happy' ending, too, as that would have closed the trilogy on a huge plot hole.

In short:

Darkman: A-

Darkman II: The Return of Durant: D

Darkman III: Die, Darkman, Die!: C+

So watched the latest episode of Psychoville.

It was hit and miss, I really hated the close up angle they used on some scenes and the story didn't seem to flow that well.

Though the ending was great and does set up an interesting episode next week.

Also watched the first episode of season two of Reaper.

This show is utter crap, not because of crap writing, or crap acting, or even crap directing, this shows main problem is that it refuses to change anything and everything stays the same and nothing advances.

In this episode, nearly every bad thing that had to be dealt with at the end of the first season was quietly swepped under the carpet, or completely ignored.

I hate this show, as it could be good, if it wasn't made by idiots worried about being cancelled. Which ironically I hear it has been.

I've just watched Carry On Abroad, which was the first one of the 30 films in my Carry On boxset that I've sat down and watched. I chose it purposefully as one of the films I haven't seen yet and as one of the 1970s films, as that was when the quality of films really started to nosedive. Then again, Abroad is a film before 1974 when a lot of the series mainstays departed, so it was still a starry film and pretty enjoyable to boot.

Young Frankenstien: No sick day of watching movies is complete without this gem. It loses nothing, no matter how many times I see it. Gene Wilder is amazing and Peter Boyle rocks in what is almost a silent part. The film looks ancient, which was Brooks' intention. Probably the best Mel Brooks film. A+

To finish out the marathon of insanity:

Strange Brew: The Adventures of Bob and Doug McKenzie: Take Hamlet. Set it in a brewery. Make Rosencrantz and Guilderstern into Des and Daryl, and give it a happy ending. What do you get?

One of my favorite comedies from my formative years. Tremendously fun movie and the banter between Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas is spectacular. Canada's finest film.

A

Then I decided to watch Edwar Norton in the Incredible hulk.

Is that movie supposed to suck?

I agree that is wasn't great, but I'd really like to see the Edward Norton cut of the film. The final version cut huge chunks out of Norton's version and you can really tell. I think the extended version would be well worth checking out if only they'd release it ala Daredevils Directors cut.

I agree that is wasn't great, but I'd really like to see the Edward Norton cut of the film. The final version cut huge chunks out of Norton's version and you can really tell. I think the extended version would be well worth checking out if only they'd release it ala Daredevils Directors cut.

Yeah, I heard he helped write a draft of the script.

Is Liv Tyler supposed to be an actress?

True.