What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

I'm rewatching The Sopranos from start to finish. Previously I only made it up to the fourth season, but that was a few years ago, so I figure starting from scratch is the best bet.

Season 4 is not the best but it has a great final episode. I really liked Season 5 and thought it was a step up from Season 4 which is arguably one of the worst seasons of the series which is still better than 99% of everything else that's on.

I love the Sopranos.

Been watching the anime Berserk (on Episode 7 now), which at times I think is awesome but mostly reminds me why I don't watch anime anymore.

Also X-men: Evolution which I started a couple of months ago. I'm near the end of Season 3 which was pretty damn good and honestly, this series just got better and better as it went along (although it started terribly in Season 1, was average for most of Season 2, but the by the final episodes of Season 2 it just got good borderline awesome. Should finish season 3 soon and then I stop the youtube videos and move to the Marvel site for season 4.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also X-men: Evolution which I started a couple of months ago. I'm near the end of Season 3 which was pretty damn good and honestly, this series just got better and better as it went along (although it started terribly in Season 1, was average for most of Season 2, but the by the final episodes of Season 2 it just got good borderline awesome. Should finish season 3 soon and then I stop the youtube videos and move to the Marvel site for season 4.

I totally agree.

One of my favorite episodes has to be the one with Juggernaut on the Dam. Anything that actually

is amazing in my book.

Season 4 has a great finale, though it doesn't resolve everything.

Oh, and by the way, Hulu has all the episodes:

http://www.hulu.com/x-men-evolution

:)

Just watched Shawshank Redemption for the first time.

Wow.

Yeah, I put that one off far longer than I should have as well. I mean, I'm pretty much a huge film fan but I still had never seen Shawshank until last year, I figured it couldn't live up to the hype. Of course as soon as I'd seen it I considered it one of my favourite movies ever, its just awesome to watch, and one of very few films that I could watch repeatedly from beginning to end without being tired of it because of the wonderful pacing and the slow progression of the score.

final destination 3. I remember liking the first two and I've like the lead in this one (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) for a while, but this really didn't advance the concept of this series at all, in fact it suckled asshole. Not one death was more inventive than the awesome dentist-office fakeout to falling plate glass death in 2. Hoping that The Final Destination does better.

Watching Princess Bride at work, because I just found out that the computer plays DVDs. Probably my favorite romance of all time (yes I am a sap shut your mouth).

"As you wish."

Princess Bride rules. That sword fight is amazing.

Just watched The 'Burbs after a oouple of years of one of my regular podcasts recommending it. It pretty much sucked, I wasn't impressed at all. I think its just part of that podcasts blind Tom Hanks love.

Watched Jackie Brown last night; I liked, just for the complexity and all the conversations.

It's going to be Kill Bill up next, I think, then Resevoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Everyone's told me not to even bother with Death Proof/Grindhouse as it apparently sucks something awful.

Kurt Russells performance in Death Proof is nothing short of Kurtacular.

The rest of the movie is bland though, so yeah, don't really bother with them till you have to.

Daredevil: Directors Cut- Huge improvement. My problems with Daredevil are basically that its Spider-man meets The Crow meets Batman 1989. It struggled to find its own identity outside of those films. The added scenes and changes give the whole thing more character and makes the overall plot far more coherent.

What I'd like to see with the reboot is a move away from the big cgi/wire-fu stuff, they should dial back the unrealistic aspects and do the action and movement with more of a parkour twist, make it more urgent and less stagey. That's the best way for the franchise to find its feet, instead of treating it like a superhero film they should treat it as a cutting edge action/detective flick. Yes the more real superhero stuff was done in Dark Knight but I think that's a better influence for DD than the rest of the Superhero genre, plus DD has a different dynamic and a totally different sort of supporting cast. They can even use the treatment of Ra's Al Ghul's League of Assassins in Batman Begins as a sort of example for introducing The Hand in the series.

Watching Kill Bill tonight. Might watch both volumes if it's not too late, we'll see.

Also, question. Dad and I are probably going to have a me and him night this week, I'm going to suggest a movie. Would District 9 or Inglourious Basterds be a better choice, in your guys' opinion?

I preferred District 9 overall, but it depends on what sort of thing he usually likes. If he's not adverse to hard sci-fi dealing with moral ambiguity and the darker nature of man the D9 might be the better choice, if he wants humour, dialogue and violence then IB.

I really did freaking LOVE District 9. Not a perfect film by any stretch but it felt like such a nice natural evolution of the solo sci-fi concept from Cloverfield and Children of Men. I'm REALLY hoping that more such experiments get the green light, and I'm especially hoping that Halo gets made by the same director.

Hm. I think I might suggest IB, then. I mean, the man's watched Van Helsing with me when I had horrible taste way back when, so he'll probably be good with anything, but I think he might actually like IB.

Or I'll just pose it as a choice. That works, too. xD

Watched both Kill Bills last night. The first one was fun for the fights, and the scene where she wakes up from the coma is amazing, but I liked the second one more for all the backstory, frankly, and the fight scenes were on another level. Plus, the whole Texas funeral thing gave me spontaneous-onset claustrophobia. WHEE!

Downloading Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs now.