What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

Went and saw D9 tonight. I wasn't expecting the level of gore in it, but overall, I really liked it, couching the film itself in all of the documentary, which provided pretty good explanations. I think it's more a DVD film for me than it was a theatre film, though, cause of the gore and the shaky-cam.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went and saw D9 tonight. I wasn't expecting the level of gore in it, but overall, I really liked it. I think its more a DVD film for me than it was a theatre film.

Shaky-cam films are always DVD films for me, mostly because I think that it makes more sense to show a documentary-style film on a small screen. Cloverfield was jaw-dropping for me, even on my little 13'' MacBook.

Wanted to watch some animated comic stuff that I hadn't seen before, watched Doctor Strange and Next Avengers, neither one was all that great. Pretty comparable to the previous animated Marvel films (i.e. Ultimates 1 and 2, Iron-Man). Doctor Strange had some really great animation and I like how a lot of the mystical elements were done. Mind you, I'm not familiar with Doctor Strange at all, but I liked the character arc he had in this story. But it wasn't amazing and not nearly as enjoyable as their most recent efforts in the Hulk vs. dvd.

Next time around I'll catch up on the DC animated DVD films, which I haven't been enthralled with either to be honest. Didn't like Mystery of the Batwoman, Batman: Subzero was boring, Gotham Knight was passable, and New Frontier was terrible (outside of Green Lantern's origin).

Honestly the only animated films I really enjoyed thus far from either company were Return of the Joker (which is amazing) and Hulk vs. (which is really fun especially the wolverine portion). OH and the Superman/Batman movie was good too, even if it was just a three part episode from the Superman series.

Anyways, still have Wonder Woman, Green Lantern: First Flight, and Mask of the Phantasm in my que so they could always turn it around and suprise me with something awesome (like they did with Return of the Joker)

You really thought New Frontier was bad? I'm just curious, but what didn't you like about it? Most people I've talked to thought it was brilliant.

First off, I've never read the story it was based off of and I don't care for much of the DC universe.

To be honest it was so long ago I don't remember much of it. What I do remember is that I couldn't stop falling asleep for one thing. I thought the ending was stupid. And overall I just really didn't get the point of it all, I didn't understand the purpose of most of the heroes even being in the movie especially since most of them were little more than extended cameos. I wasn't too into the art style either. Overall I remember being rather bored by it.

While I respectfully disagree, I see where you're coming from. I think the art style is a bit of an acquired taste, and either you take to it, or you don't. I think the superb voice acting is what drew me in the most, but then again, I pay a lot of attention to actors and performances.

While I respectfully disagree, I see where you're coming from. I think the art style is a bit of an acquired taste, and either you take to it, or you don't. I think the superb voice acting is what drew me in the most, but then again, I pay a lot of attention to actors and performances.

I also forgot to say, I watched it on my computer because it was easily accessible from there, and I usually HATE watching stuff from my computer. I might give it another try down the line, but for now...meh.

The Jungle Book (Disney): This bears no resemblance to Kipling's book, and there are surely better Disney films, but I'll be hard pressed to find one I love more. This film was my childhood. I watched the VHS until it fucking broke when I was a kid. Why? One reason. Baloo. There is not a character I love more, and I still identify with him like none other. He's a big fat bastard out to have a good time, what more is there to love? He's voiced by Phil fucking Harris, who could only be more of a badass if he was John Wayne. Shere Kahn is the most terrifying Disney villian of all time. He's Scar with balls. He's Gaston with brains and claws. He's a Bond villain with stripes. The only reason he didn't murder Baloo and Mowgli is the freak strike of lightning. And as far as the music? "Bare Necessities" is a classic, of course, but the vulture's song is good fun, and both Kaa's song and the Elephant's marching song are awesome.

This may have been the beginning of "Disney's Dark Age" to most people, but I couldn't love it more.

You really thought New Frontier was bad? I'm just curious, but what didn't you like about it? Most people I've talked to thought it was brilliant.

I wasn't so hot for New Frontier, either, mostly because it felt too much like a jumble of stories. It makes sense as a comic because it serves to show a different side of the neverending DC universe, but as a standalone animated film, it didn't really work for me.

You mentioned Disney films; I've actually been going back and watching all the films from the "Disney renaissance" from 1989-1999.

They're very different in hindsight.

The Little Mermaid is still very good, if slightly disturbing now that I'm looking back and realizing just how young (and often naked) Ariel is.

Beauty and the Beast is amazing; they added so many layers of depth and irony to the original story that it's great in every aspect.

Aladdin is disappointing. The characters' main motivation seems to be "I'm a bored princess/thief. Oh! Hey! A magic carpet! Yay! I'm not bored anymore!"

The Little Mermaid is still very good, if slightly disturbing now that I'm looking back and realizing just how young (and often naked) Ariel is.

You know, it's funny, but my friend and I were actually just talking about that today. (Not the naked part, though.)

This may have been the beginning of "Disney's Dark Age" to most people, but I couldn't love it more.

Really?!? The Jungle Book, as you say, is a fantastic film so I fail to see how people can think this started some kind of Disney decline.

I'm about to start a stand-up DVD by a comic called Jim Jeffries. I've loved every appearance he's made on my favourite sports podcast (Fighting Talk) so I have high hopes for this....

Rented three DVDs for my first weekend in the new place.

Marytrs

Let the Right One In

Wizard of Gore

The first two because all I'm hearing is nonstop praise. The last one because it has my favorite Suicide Girl in it.

Been watching most of the second season of Mad Men yesterday and today, up to the second-to-last episode of the season. Yeah, I might be going over to my friend's frat house so that I can get a good TV with cable, as I don't know when one in our dorm might be coming, and watch this on a regular basis.

I just watched the pilot of the cleveland spin off from Family guy.

It was ok, but it wasn't anything special, I don't think it was bad, I just didn't think it was really any good, and only had one good character, who is just a different take on Stewie.

Haven't watched it yet but as with most new shows, I'll give it three episodes before I make up my mind about it. Since I'm not all that crazy about FAMILY GUY in the first place I'm not really expecting much from this. I'd be more enthusiastic if they had given Quagmire his own show.

Is it just me or did STARDUST really, really, really want to be THE PRINCESS BRIDE?

If you had told me a movie starring Robert Redford, Meryl Streep and Tom Cruise could be boring and dull as hell I'd have called you crazy. That was until I saw LIONS FOR LAMBS.

I've got SONS OF ANARCHY and FRINGE back on TV so I'm pretty much a happy boy.

I saw the pilot for Community last night and I kind of liked it. Great characters, good premise. I was worried Chevy Chase would be the lead. Not so.

The season premiere of The Office was great. Loved the "Hardcore Parkour" intro. Especially Jim's line: "Parkour, internet sensation from 2004."

Watched I Love You, Man and Green Lantern: First Flight

I Love You, man was actually pretty enjoyable. I liked it, I didn't love it, and I didn't laugh out loud too many times but it was a fun little look at how friendships are kind of like romantic relationships.

Green Lantern: First Flight was terribly medicore, the best part was seeing Hal swing a steel chair and Foley one of the bad buys. The movie didn't take any time to make you care about any of the characters, it kind of just plopped you into the Green Lantern Corps universe and just zooomed from action sequence to action sequence...kind of like the new Hulk film except that was live, had better action, and a Tony Stark cameo. It wasn't bad, just medicore, good for a one time watch but I imagine just reading the graphic novels being a whole lot more fulfilling.

Martyrs - Amazing. I was expecting to hate it since Des likes it, but this blew me away. Such a powerful film considering how minimalist it actually is. I'm definitely going to buy this. The copy I got from Blockbuster was missing all of the special features, including the one hour making of.

Let the Right One In - To call this a horror movie is almost a disservice to it. It's a love story that just happens to include violence and vampires. Liked it a lot, though I hear it's a terrible adaptation of the book.