What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

Let the Right One In - To call this a horror movie is almost a disservice to it. It's a love story that just happens to include violence and vampires. Liked it a lot, though I hear it's a terrible adaptation of the book.

They are making a US version.

Yeah. That always goes well.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No 'fense guys, but to call it a love story from what I've heard of it is... kinda messed up. I've heard the main characters' romance compared to that between Bella and Edward from Twilight, and based on the summaries I've read (have yet to be able to actually watch the movie, should change that soon), it's not that far off, especially in the creepy factor.

Let the Right One In - To call this a horror movie is almost a disservice to it. It's a love story that just happens to include violence and vampires. Liked it a lot, though I hear it's a terrible adaptation of the book.

They are making a US version.

Yeah. That always goes well.

The Departed.

No 'fense guys, but to call it a love story from what I've heard of it is... kinda messed up. I've heard the main characters' romance compared to that between Bella and Edward from Twilight, and based on the summaries I've read (have yet to be able to actually watch the movie, should change that soon), it's not that far off, especially in the creepy factor.

Wuthering Heights is also considered a love story, and that's about as far into the obsessive/stalkerish/messed-up territory as is possible.

Wuthering Heights is also considered a love story, and that's about as far into the obsessive/stalkerish/messed-up territory as is possible.

Twisted love is still love, and Let The Right One In is one of the most endearing yet disturbing love stories I've seen in film.

Well, so long as they're not showing it as a good/ideal thing, then it's fine.

Okay, I know what I'm downloading tonight, besides the new Mad Men ep.

Season premier of Its always Sunny in Phildelphia was ace, plus Kaitlin Olson is definitely in shape.

Very much enjoying the teen pulp detective awesomeness that is Veronica Mars, although the show is never quite as good as the second half of the first season where

she finds out that instead of being raped at a party like she thought she had been all year she had semi-consensual sex with her equally roofied ex-boyfriend/possible half brother. I mean seriously, it doesn't get any crazier than that.

Watched the new Mad Men ep last night. Love this show, so much, especially with its examples of horrible 60s parenting, and the funness of office politics and marriage dynamics, too. Joan, Dan, Peggy, and Sally have to be my favorite characters on that show.

Currently putting on Gankutsuou to have something in the background while doing reading for class; haven't watched this in quite some time, love the visual style and the voicing in this (also, Joji Nakata's voice is the sex).

Watching LTROI later tonight, when I'm done with most of my homework.

Frost/Nixon - Pretty good movie, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would have, and believe me I was not into the subject material at all going into this but the great directing, writing, and storytelling really pulled me into it.

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm - I know I watched this when I was younger, many years ago when I was in my teens, but in all honesty I didn't remember any of it, now that I'm an adult (or at least close enough), I really appreciate it. It really hits all the high points about Batman, mystery, crime and the underworld, the price of vigilantism, the acceptance in society, split between duty and romance, and the Joker. I felt that it faltered a bit in the third act when it became just another episode especially since they really set up a cinematic tone and feel to the whole thing, but I guess my hopes were too high. So far it's up there at the top in terms of DC animated films, and up there with the best DC feature films (ex, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, Batman Begins, Dark Knight, the first 2 Superman movies)

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies - I watched this before the above mind you, and really while it's got much better pacing, it's faster, but it's also pretty brainless and it expects you to know a lot about the DC universe and I'm sure it's a much better treat if you know who Batman/Superman are facing off against, for example I couldn't care much about the endless drones of villains, or Luthor's superteam, but when Superman battled Captain Marvel (SHAZAM!) it felt epic because I had some (very little) knowledge about Shazam (from reading JLI and 52, Black Adam, BITCH!). But it was a mild diversion, it's down there at the large pile of not so great DC animated DVDs (ex, Doomsday, Green Lantern: First Flight, Batman Mr. Freeze movie, Mystery of the Batwoman, New Frontier, and the disappointing Gotham Knight).

For me it seems like that there's a pretty active gap between full blown winners and the mild diversions. The mild diversions are rarely actively bad...they're just mild diversions and that's it. The only one middling was Gotham Knight, as I remember liking it more than most others, but as an anthology it's hard to position because there's a few tremendous stories in there and then some actively bad ones.

On the same token, they could be like Marvel where are the films are pretty middling and no true standouts (outside of Wolverine vs. Hulk for the awesome action sequences and the dead-on adaptation of the Deadpool character).

Ah well. I'll get to Wonder Woman some time soon. From what everybody says, it'll be a goodie.

I tried Big Bang Theory and was not impressed. I even gave it three episodes just to see if it lived up to the hype and really found it wanting. Maybe I just don't think nerd-jokes are funny for 22 whole minutes at a time, I prefer a more well-rounded cast, or at least one that pretends to be.

I tried Big Bang Theory and was not impressed. I even gave it three episodes just to see if it lived up to the hype and really found it wanting. Maybe I just don't think nerd-jokes are funny for 22 whole minutes at a time, I prefer a more well-rounded cast, or at least one that pretends to be.

Did you watch it from the beginning?

I know that I really liked the show in its first episodes; I just lost track of time and didn't keep up with it later.

Did you watch it from the beginning?

I know that I really liked the show in its first episodes; I just lost track of time and didn't keep up with it later.

Yup, right from the beginning. Didn't love it.

Just finished Let the Right One In. It's a solid film, but sorry guys, don't see what makes it so amazingly spectacular. Also, kind of yay for incredibly fucked up romances and

knowing that Oskar is going to pretty much turn into Hakan

?

That's what really sold it for me. So many movies treat love as this all-powerful eternal force, and in real life, it's a fickle bitch that rarely lasts. Maybe I'm just happy that it appeals to the bitter pessimist that I live every day as, but knowing that their love is going to end in a (most likely violent) tragedy is what put the film over simply "good" to me.

Newsflash peeps: love never ends happily. Even with Megan and I, whom I consider someone who I will be with for the rest of my life, our relationship will end in tragedy. One of us will eventually die. It's the way things work and movies that refuse to portray that, are being dishonest.

It's not the tragic nature that pisses me off, I love tragedy. They just built Eli to be this wonderful smart character, and throw it all away in her ultimate act of selfishness. Fuck that. I just can't believe that she would willingly put Oskar through her life, you know? Sort of an 'If you love him, let him go,' sort of thing.

Newsflash peeps: love never ends happily. Even with Megan and I, whom I consider someone who I will be with for the rest of my life, our relationship will end in tragedy. One of us will eventually die. It's the way things work and movies that refuse to portray that, are being dishonest.

If only movies always had that added text at the end that said how the story really ended.

Just think of all the endings we could see:

Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory: Willy Wonka died of diabetes and Charlie got addicted to crack, his wife left him with three kids.

Someone else add the next one, I'm tired.

I'm watching see no evil, hear no evil. I love the Pryor Wilder movies.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the way the relationship was built was solid enough, even if I found the way it turned out a bit depressing. Also, more or less agree with Preston in my disbelief that Eli would be willing to put Oskar through all that, but, you never know.

I just couldn't get myself to get emotionally invested, at all.

IMO, being a geek and liking Big Bang Theory is tantamount to being black and liking a minstrel show. It's fucking terrible and portrays anyone who's ever picked up a comic book as a socially retarded moron.

No it doesn't. This is a show about people who are way past geeks. They are social retards not because they like comic books, but because they are caricatures of ultra nerd scientists.

I don't see her having much of a problem with using Oskar like that. For all we know, Eli's done so to countless people before. It makes for a more complex character since, yeah, there might be a genuine love there, but she's thinking about survival at the same time. She's not a good person, and she's not supposed to be, but you can still sympathize with a monster. It's the immortality issue. Everyone you love will eventually die around you, but you don't need love any less because of it.

IMO, being a geek and liking Big Bang Theory is tantamount to being black and liking a minstrel show. It's fucking terrible and portrays anyone who's ever picked up a comic book as a socially retarded moron.

No it doesn't. This is a show about people who are way past geeks. They are social retards not because they like comic books, but because they are caricatures of ultra nerd scientists.

Right but its reinforcing the stereotype of nerds. Its just not a socially diverse show, its like they never got beyond 80's high school stereotypes. Comic books and science? Why liking those things automatically equals you being like this! Its insulting, I know people with chemistry degrees and people who read comics, and oddly enough neither group are close to being the most socially maladjusted people I know. The premise irks me.