What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beauty and the Beast- Finally finished out my Disney film series. Honestly, much more watchable than I thought it would be, I really did enjoy it. Sort of the classic disney fairy tale using the high grade animation, songs and scripts that they were putting out at the same time. I can't put it higher than Aladdin just because it doesn't have as many classic songs and isn't nearly as funny, but it beat The Little Mermaid hands down. Lion King still ranks first by a big margin, but none of the rest of those four was weak, its really was a period of greatly deserved success for Disney.

Next up- The decline! Pocahonta, Mulan and possibly more!

Nah, Beast Machines wasn't part of Disney's period of decline....

As mentioned elsewhere, I've watched Die Another Day recently as well as Carry On Sergeant for a review series I'm doing for another website. Not sure when I'll have time to watch Carry On Nurse as I'm spending a lot of next week away from my computer.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Nah, Beast Machines wasn't part of Disney's period of decline....

either your joking... or you misunderstood. That was a statement of what I'm currently watching and enjoying not something to go along with what Stavros said.

That point aside, I must say Beast Machines is easily the best animated Transformers cartoon ever! And this is coming from a G1 fanboy lol :D

Tonight I've been watching random episode of Teen Titans: The End, Troq, and Employee of the Month.

Yesterday I watched the first three Fleischer Superman cartoons. I love these 'toons. They never get old!

Thursday night Niki lent me Death to Smoochy, so I watched that on Friday. Wasn't crazy about it. I felt it rambled pretty much from start to finish. That said, I really liked Edward Norton in it.

Guest DCAUFan1051

To Koete and DW:

Beast Machines essentially explains what happened after Beast Wars. While I like Beast Wars there are several aspects of that one that I just don't like. Looking at the CGI animation of Beast Machines it is so much crisper then what was done on Beast Wars.

Beast Machines is like almost watching a book being read to you. 26 Episodes of full on action and continuity. I think it ends the Beast Era of Transformers very well.

I can't wait to see what the new TF cartoon will be. However that will not happen until Hasbro/Discovery Channel is premiered Fall 2010

I will agree that Beast Machines is a great series. Beast Wars is a better show but BM is still just as good. The only thing that really made me dislike it was Nightscream. The character got kinda annoying at times. He did eventually grow on me but, overall, the character just rubbed me the wrong way. The other thing that got on my nerves was Botanica. Not the character herself, just that she was introduced so late in the game and nothing ever really came of her. She had a lot of untapped potential and I really liked the character too.

Guest DCAUFan1051

I will agree that Beast Machines is a great series. Beast Wars is a better show but BM is still just as good. The only thing that really made me dislike it was Nightscream. The character got kinda annoying at times. He did eventually grow on me but, overall, the character just rubbed me the wrong way. The other thing that got on my nerves was Botanica. Not the character herself, just that she was introduced so late in the game and nothing ever really came of her. She had a lot of untapped potential and I really liked the character too.

I agree I completely hated NightScream at first. Just a whiny little emo batboy. However as it got to the end he did kinda grow on me.

As far as Botanica goes I understand why it took so long to flush out the fact that they were aiming for a balance of tech-organic. As far as nothing ever came of her, well I'm betting these days she and Rattrap have dozens of baby plantrats lol

Guest DCAUFan1051

As far as nothing ever came of her, well I'm betting these days she and Rattrap have dozens of baby plantrats lol

Thanks. I just threw up a little envisioning that.

yay my job is complete lol

Mulan- Pretty good, although it was uncomfortable to see a very different culture permeated with western culture. It sorta worked with Kun-fu Panda, but 1- that wasn't claiming any sort of correct historical background and 2- it was a freakin' Panda. I supposed the only people it was actually racist against (the Hun) no longer exist so they figured they could get away with it. Again, not bad, just awkward in places. Better songs than most of this decline period so far, but never felt epic or legendary like the classics.

Hercules- Nice updated art style, incorporating cartoonish building design antiquity into the actually character designs was a nice touch. Again, never felt as epic as a Disney film should (a particular problem if you're depicting greek myth) and the hydra was fucking awful, but aside from that standard mid-level Disney fun. Central relationship was considerably more authentic than Mulan's "Hey, you aren't a man, I'm momentarily thrown, hey wanna hook up?". By far the best music of any of the latter Disney's too.

Lion King II- Instead of Hamlet this is a Ham-fisted (ho-ho!) version of Romeo & Juliet. Not bad, but it terms of ambition or scope and song writing its comparatively lacking. Fine for a straight to DVD effort though, I liked that it showed inherent flaws in former lead character Simba resulting from the first film, its a nice change from the perfect happily ever after format Disney is known for.

Next up- The Hunchback of Notre Dame and lastly Pocahontas.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame- Much more interesting character development than most of these films, but they wussed out in the end. Would have liked more of the villain, the self-justified puritanical motivation was cool. In the end I just though the story could have been a lot better if it wasn't so nicely wrapped up, a little more angst and betrayal would have upped it. Felt like a tragedy with a happy ending nailed onto it (shock, horror, I wonder why). Still, like I said it was more interesting than the stuff they usually attempt. Crap songs though, I can't remember a single one.