What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been going through the DVD's I bought/was given over Christmas.

Death Wish- Great film, really examines the revenge genre from a unique perspective.

Godfather Part III- Fine, but I don't really think of it as part of the series. Still, I hadn't seen it in about 11 years and I figured I should make the effort since I've seen the parts I & II so often.

Jerry Springer- The Opera- Being a fan of all things Stewart Lee this was a must see, and well worth the effort. A little off at times but if you've no issue with bad taste and a sharp sense of humour you'll enjoy this. If you're a religious reactionary then you're about 5 years too late to picket this and put it out of business.

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle- What looks to be the lone series of this insightful and brilliant series of half hour standup and skits by my favourite comedian. Screw the British public, this was way too good for them anyway.

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle- What looks to be the lone series of this insightful and brilliant series of half hour standup and skits by my favourite comedian. Screw the British public, this was way too good for them anyway.

The only bad thing I can say about Comedy Vehicle is the fact that if you've seen his stand-up DVDs, you'll recognise a lot of material in the show. Compare that to what Richard Herring was doing the past couple of months (with the specific, jokey intent of getting back on TV) and I feel that it was a slight missed opportunity. That being said, Stewart Lee on TV is better than no Stewart Lee on TV - I really need to see Jerry Springer: The Opera. Hopefully I'll find it on one of my HMV binges, which is planned for Friday afternoon.

Last night I watched a couple of horror-themed CBMs. Faust: Love of the Damned is an absolutely wild film which is absurd enough not to horrify me, despite the amount of fucked-up-ness going on. Man Thing is more run of the mill and I'm not surprised that it didn't find an audience.

I'm watching Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths. Legally.

You can all be jealous now.

Damn your black heart Simms!

Slothian, re Stewart Lee, there was a lot of repeated material but then again at least 2/3rds was fresh, and frankly 3 hours of Stewart Lee writing and performing is like a gift from the gods that he doesn't believe in. Richard Herring's AIOTiMa is a lot of fun but these days I prefer theses guys apart from each other. Besides, if Richard Herring was ever on TV properly again he'd lose about 80% of his material, and the other 20% wouldn't be fit for broadcast on any existing network.

Watched Superman II for the first time.

Why do people like this movie?

It's so cheesy it's awesome. And you've got Terrence Stamp playing a great General Zod, Chris Reeve being his usual awesome self, and that great "kneel-fakeout-CRUSH-HAND" scene at the end.

It's a "feel-good" Superhero movie. :D

I had two gigantic problems with it.

1) Superman gave so little of a fuck about humanity that it took him literally 15 seconds to give up his powers. They also never explain WHY he can't have his powers and be with Lois.

2) Despite being irreversible, all he needed was a crystal to restore his powers and they never show how this happened.

Also, I kind of hate Lois in this movie. She went from "okay" in the first one to full-on annoying here. Has there ever been a love interest in a superhero movie that hasn't completely sucked?

Because it offered a threat to Superman. That's the only reason to like it in my eyes.

There's never been a Superman movie that got past "good"

III with Richard Pryor was a good movie, I mean Pryor was awesome if you look at it like that. As a Pryor movie(He openly admits, he didn't read the script, wishes he did and got high all the time on set) with jokes about Superman it was good.

II has it's moments, but the first is better, and the Donner cut of two is good, it's one of the few superhero movies that the baddie actually wins, Zod runs the world, like he wanted, and got bored, so decided to face Superman.

Dumb question, was Zod in the comics before the film?

Dubs made some good points. I still like it though, the only ones I won't watch are IV and Returns, III is still fun, in it's own way, as a comedy with a Superman like character.

Edited by suavestar

I'm watching Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths. Legally.

You can all be jealous now.

My level of jealousy will be determined by how good said film actually is.

Me 2.

I sort want to get the film, but am half and half about it, seeing as I only really like to rewatch new frontier from the DCUDVD series.

I had two gigantic problems with it.

1) Superman gave so little of a fuck about humanity that it took him literally 15 seconds to give up his powers. They also never explain WHY he can't have his powers and be with Lois.

2) Despite being irreversible, all he needed was a crystal to restore his powers and they never show how this happened.

Also, I kind of hate Lois in this movie. She went from "okay" in the first one to full-on annoying here. Has there ever been a love interest in a superhero movie that hasn't completely sucked?

I have those problems as well. The only reason that it doesn't bother me is that nothing in that film makes much sense anyhow, so it's not like it's ruining any already-great story or anything.

Watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoqXoSDws8E

I think Superman II has a good storyline that absolutely complements the original. You can complain about the effects but they were the best available. I mean, back in the 80's when I first saw it you'd be hard pressed to find a fault in the presentation or anything like that, this was just how that sort of film was done. It does have some great villains, some good character moments for Clark and Lois and as mentioned the best real threat to Superman we've seen.

I get that its not great now, but no Superhero film made at that time would age well.

Betty Ross in Hulk. Very important that we don't get Jennifer Connolly mixed up with Liv Tyler.