What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

Time Bandits:Terry Gilliam tries to make a kids movie, produces cinematic abortion. Cameos from Sean Connery, John Cleese and Shelly DuVall were not enough to make me not hate this. David Warner as the villain, not enough to save this. How can a movie about time traveling dwarves robbing Napoleon be this bad? How? Out of five stars, fuck this movie.

Terry Gilliam did Fear and loathing. That gets him a pass, everything else he's made has verge on mediocre, to just plain shite*

*I don't count Python films, as he co-directed most of them with Terry Jones.

Brazil is awesome, too.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cronos- relatively small mixed language mexican vampire film by Del Toro, including a good role for Ron Perlman. Really interesting reworking of the vampire idea, probably the most unusual film the genre has produced outside of Let The Right One In. Don't expect to be stunned, this is no Devils Backbone or Pan's Labyrinth but its worth checking out if you've seen those more significant Del Toro works and want to know what came before.

Westworld- Felt very much of its time (1973) but they do a great job juxtaposing the cinematic idealised worlds that the resort recreates with the cold hard underlying threat that the machines pose. Yul Brynner is very much the inspiration for the Terminator, especially Robert Patrick's T-1000, the similarities are uncanny.

Considering making a day of genre films by following up with Moon and District 9.

Little Shop of Horrors: Concentrated awesome. One of my favorites. The scene between the masochistic patient, played by Bill Murray and the Sadistic Dentist, the only role I don't hate Steve Martin in, is by far my favorite, but the movie is class, all the way through.

I just re-watched the original Roger Corman version with the RiffTrax commentary. Fun stuff.

Went with Moon. Love that astounding central performance aside the entire thing feels like it could have been done with Jerry Anderson style models. It completely avoids the hollywood style action side of sci-fi in favour of limited remote locations and big chunky vehicles. Gives it a real old-school sci-fi feel.

I'd love to see a Thunderbirds-style shot for shot remake of Moon actually. Without being a parody it would still be very watchable.

If you watch moon, and you don't get a lump in you're throat when he makes that satcomm call then you need to be hunted down 'cause you're a fuckin' Cylon agent.

Psych, Burn Notice, Cougar Town.

*fistbump*

So excited for Psych's season finale next week!

In other news, I saw Vertigo yesterday. It was good, but I wasn't that big of a fan of the ending. I prefer Psycho. It was much more creepy.

Pinocchio's Revenge: Take Chucky, Fight Club and the Omen. Throw them all in a blender with a bunch of cocaine. Then heave the fucker out the window because this movie sucked hard.

I'm beginning to regret our "rent shitty horror movies for fun" tradition.

Edge of Darkness- the original BBC mini series. Very good so far, only another 5 1/2 hours to go.

Freaks & Geeks- Decided to check this out after seeing the cast list, which is phenomenal for a TV show. Feels generic, but at the high end of that spectrum in that the characters and plots are good.

Watched the 2006 take on MacBeth starring Sam Worthington. It's got this contemporary, leather gangster look. If not for some bits of shaky cam, I would have found this wholly enjoyable, if hollow. The violence was creative and brutal, though, so that stuff is worth a look, if you're into that.