What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

Time Bandits:Terry Gilliam tries to make a kids movie, produces cinematic abortion. Cameos from Sean Connery, John Cleese and Shelly DuVall were not enough to make me not hate this. David Warner as the villain, not enough to save this. How can a movie about time traveling dwarves robbing Napoleon be this bad? How? Out of five stars, fuck this movie.

Terry Gilliam did Fear and loathing. That gets him a pass, everything else he's made has verge on mediocre, to just plain shite*

*I don't count Python films, as he co-directed most of them with Terry Jones.

Fisher King, Brazil, 12 Monkeys, Tideland...oh yeah. Totally mediocre. :rolleyes:

Brazil was pretty good; I had to watch it for Freshman Studies, scares the shit out of me sometimes, but still good.

Tideland is just made of straight-up WTF, I'm sorry.

Haven't seen the other two, can't comment.

And now, for some Raise the Red Lantern. Which is utterly heartbreaking and well-filmed and OW.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Casablanca.

Yeah. Be jealous.

mw_fist.gif

I don't love Casablanca. Its fine, but I'm just a little baffled by its status in the pantheon of all time greats.

It all comes down to Bogie. Bogart owns that whole movie, in a way that few people ever could have. I think it's incredible, great cinematography, amazing dialog and acting that most directors would kill for.

Also, Conrad Viedt. There's that, too.

Despite my dwindling finances I had an HMV binge yesterday and bought "Evolution", "Freddy vs Jason", "Hot Fuzz" and "Speed" as well as some albums. I've seen all of them before but felt that my DVD library was poorer without them.

As such, I've just re-watched Freddy vs Jason, which is a ton of fun. What makes the film even better is that it knows that it's fan service, but blusters ahead anyway. Unlike Alien vs Predator, where the separate franchises told better stories, I like F vs J as a jumping on point to both franchises, as it gives the back stories of both characters withut getting bogged down in back-history (Nancy, Tommy Jarvis etc).