What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tron- For the era the effects and look of the film are amazing, really creative. Plot and character-wise it was a black hole of bullshit. If Jeff Bridges hadn't been in it I don't think I could have watched. It was halfway between a high tech parody of silent films like Metropolis and the worst excesses of low-plot 80's Disney. And can someone please explain to me why Jeff Bridges is significantly more interested in having the copyright for his 5 shitty little arcade machines returned to him rather than the fact that HE'S JUST DISCOVERED TECHNOLOGY THAT CAN TRANSPORT A HUMAN INTO A COMPUTER AND ALL THE PROGRAMMES THEY DESIGN ARE ACTUALLY SENTIENT. Its like losing your watch, having Alien life come down from the stars to help you find that watch, and then when you find it forgetting about them and throwing a party because you've got the watch back. I mean, a lot of people in the history of computing have overlooked the potential of the technology, but that particular oversight is BULLSHIT.

I'm interested in the new one because I think plot-wise standards for this sort of thing are higher now, I'll watch Jeff Bridges in almost anything, and its one of the few films where 3-D is a real draw for me. Just don't make me watch the original again.

Casablanca.

Yeah. Be jealous.

mw_fist.gif

I don't love Casablanca. Its fine, but I'm just a little baffled by its status in the pantheon of all time greats.

Agreed. CASABLANCA is an okay movie but just that...okay. I think TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT, ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT, IN A LONELY PACE and BEAT THE DEVIL are all superior Bogart films. I acknowledge CASABLANCA's icon status (hard to argue with success) but it baffles me as well.

Anyone ever watched a film that they find engrossing, beautifully shot, well-acted and compelling and yet they can't get through it without falling asleep?

Sauna is a great little ghost story taking place during the end of the Finland-Sweden/Russia war of the late 16th century and perhaps it's the subtitles mixed with the slow burn that does it but, damn. I made it to the last twenty minutes the other night, fell asleep for 10 minutes and it looked like a completely different film.

And can someone please explain to me why Jeff Bridges is significantly more interested in having the copyright for his 5 shitty little arcade machines returned to him rather than the fact that HE'S JUST DISCOVERED TECHNOLOGY THAT CAN TRANSPORT A HUMAN INTO A COMPUTER AND ALL THE PROGRAMMES THEY DESIGN ARE ACTUALLY SENTIENT. Its like losing your watch, having Alien life come down from the stars to help you find that watch, and then when you find it forgetting about them and throwing a party because you've got the watch back. I mean, a lot of people in the history of computing have overlooked the potential of the technology, but that particular oversight is BULLSHIT.

The trailer for the new film hints at the fact that he actually was extremely interested in the world inside the computer, and we just never saw it. I mean, we really don't see what happened to Flynn after he left the Tron world, other than being happy that he finally became the head on ENCOM.

And can someone please explain to me why Jeff Bridges is significantly more interested in having the copyright for his 5 shitty little arcade machines returned to him rather than the fact that HE'S JUST DISCOVERED TECHNOLOGY THAT CAN TRANSPORT A HUMAN INTO A COMPUTER AND ALL THE PROGRAMMES THEY DESIGN ARE ACTUALLY SENTIENT. Its like losing your watch, having Alien life come down from the stars to help you find that watch, and then when you find it forgetting about them and throwing a party because you've got the watch back. I mean, a lot of people in the history of computing have overlooked the potential of the technology, but that particular oversight is BULLSHIT.

The trailer for the new film hints at the fact that he actually was extremely interested in the world inside the computer, and we just never saw it. I mean, we really don't see what happened to Flynn after he left the Tron world, other than being happy that he finally became the head on ENCOM.

The setup for the new film goes a long way towards correcting that error, but on its own merits Tron is really massively flawed.

See, this interests me, cause I couldn't stand Pulp Fiction. What'd you like about it?

I'm in the middle. All right but too far up its own ass for me to enjoy it as a movie. Reservoir Dogs is its superior in every way, as far as I'm concerned.

...Why hello there male far older version of me with children. xD

Way too pretentious for me to be able to get into, and there is no connecting thread in this (despite the bull they come up with to do so), it's just random sketches that are held together by a near nonexistent thread of narrative connection.

Big love for Pulp Fiction. I don't think a film needs one big narrative holding it together to be great, all it needs it thematic links. Magnolia proved that, and Pulp Fiction does the same. The style, the dialogue, the attitudes towards violence, its all wonderfully fulfilled in PF.

Watching Big Lebowski now. Did not get it at all about 7 years ago when I first saw it. This second viewing is much more enjoyable, now that I've seen every Coen Bros film and I've matured a little in my tastes.

See, this interests me, cause I couldn't stand Pulp Fiction. What'd you like about it?

It should be said that this was my first Tarantino flick (I know, I know, I've got them all in my Netflix que so I can catch up with the rest of the pack), so my opinion might change after I see the rest, but right now, I liked the hell out of a lot of it. I have no problem with non-linear narratives, so that didn't bother me. I liked all of the different storylines and how they started off relatively normal, but quickly took a turn for the offbeat. I thought pretty much all of the performances were great, especially Samuel L. Jackson's. The only other film I've seen that was mostly conversational was One Night At Maude's, which I found to be a little dry. Here, I thought Tarantino did a great job of keeping the conversation scenes interesting. Speaking of which, I thought the dialogue was excellent. I also loved the music choices throughout it. I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but it was my kind of film.

Big love for Pulp Fiction. I don't think a film needs one big narrative holding it together to be great, all it needs it thematic links. Magnolia proved that, and Pulp Fiction does the same. The style, the dialogue, the attitudes towards violence, its all wonderfully fulfilled in PF.

I love Pulp Fiction but even I'll admit, I never watch past the "date" between Mia and Vincent. The Bruce Willis story and the one after are good but my favorite part of the story is gone so there's nothing to look forward to. Personally, I almost preferred Go. It used the same story-telling techniques but they were blended together all that much better. For that matter, I loved Gosford Park which has about 14 plots going on, all of it very good.

I'll chalk up some love for Pulp Fiction as well. I could do with watching all of Tarrantino's stuff back-to-back to inform my list, but I really enjoy the fractured narrative of Pulp Fiction.

I've just finished the work-print version of Alien 3 and it makes me wonder whether there's been a director's cut that differs from the theatrical version in quite the same way. Of all the contenders I can think of, the closest is probably DareDevil. That said, I enjoy both versions of Alien 3.