What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

South Park, as an English Major, I have one thing to say to you:

Thank You. I am really tired of people trying to find metaphor where none exist and, well, thank you for talking about that. Unless the goal of the episode was to just have a reason to show the Kardashians getting mowed down, in which case, kudos to you. Still a brilliant episode.

Edited since I just realized that not everyone has seen the episode yet. Sorry if I did spoil it.

Edited by dc20willsave

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

Great silent film. The set design is fantastic and the real standout.

One of my all-time favorites.

Very atmospheric surreal film. I put it right up alongside M and Metropolis as my favourite European films of the era. Favourite flat-out film is still Top hat, but by that stage we're really moving out of that whole dark brooding germanic influence.

I've got M and Metropolis up next. Very much looking forward to checking out Fritz Lang's work.

Targets

Peter Bogdanovich's first film and a great one in my opinion. It consists of two storylines, one following an aging horror actor as he prepares to retire and the other a man who prepares to go on a killing spree, with the two converging at the end. It's very New Hollywood in showing that the monsters of horror past have been replaced with the horror that human beings are capable of. Even 40 years later, I think it's violence is still brutal and effective. The aging horror actor is played by real life horror star Boris Karloff and it's very meta (except for the wanting to retire part). As a huge fan of Universal's 30s and 40s horror films and of Karloff, that story was as interesting to me as the more visceral murder storyline. This is one of those movies that is going to stick with me.

Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

The premise behind the film is that all of the slashers of film are real, thought they're normal people without the supernatural aspects. The film follows three journalists as they document a new slasher preparing to make his debut. Throughout Leslie's preparations, and the film itself, all of the tropes of the slasher film are hit. The film is shot in both a documentary style and as a slasher film, a mix that works really well. Great premise and executed well overall.

Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

The premise behind the film is that all of the slashers of film are real, thought they're normal people without the supernatural aspects. The film follows three journalists as they document a new slasher preparing to make his debut. Throughout Leslie's preparations, and the film itself, all of the tropes of the slasher film are hit. The film is shot in both a documentary style and as a slasher film, a mix that works really well. Great premise and executed well overall.

Yep/ Love that one.

The Lost World

This must have been epic in the 1920s and, while it drags in a few places, it holds up relatively well today. The stop motion dinosaurs are of course the highlight, from the fights in the jungle to a brontosaurus rampaging through London.

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

I'm 9 minutes in and a vampire chick just kicked Jesus in the balls. This is going to be one hell of a shitty movie.

I'm 9 minutes in and a vampire chick just kicked Jesus in the balls. This is going to be one hell of a shitty movie.

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter sounds like it's going to be made of awesome or at least be good bad but it ends up just being bad.

I remember getting really fucking drunk because of that movie.

JESUS AND A MEXICAN WRESTLER TEAM UP TO KILL VAMPIRES. HOW DO YOU FUCK THAT UP?

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter sounds like it's going to be made of awesome or at least be good bad but it ends up just being bad.

It's horrible, but it's that charming kind of horrible where you can't hate it, just blink for a few seconds after the credits end and process that it actually exists.

It's horrible, but it's that charming kind of horrible where you can't hate it, just blink for a few seconds after the credits end and process that it actually exists.

I hate it. I hate it so much it hurts.

I hate it. I hate it so much it hurts.