Random wrestling thoughts

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Catching up on some of last year's big shows.  Just finished the 2015 King of Trios.  And it just wasn't as fun as I wanted it to be.  I think X-Pac on commentary on Night 1 set a tone of 'meh' that I never recovered from until Night 3.  Team AAA carried my interest and the gauntlet was fun enough.

Also caught PWG's 2015 BOLA. Now these were 3 shows of pretty much nonstop fun.  These were the indy-est of indy shows.  Every match wanted to be *****.  I am glad that I broke everything up into hour-ish chunks spread out over a few weeks.  The UK & AAA talent were the standouts.  The Drago/Pentagon Jr vs. Fenix/Aerostar match from Night 2 is so very awesome and a complete cartoon.  Add in a hot crowd and I want to see more of the PWG.

• 2 weeks later...

NXT Takeover Dallas was my most anticipated show of the Mania weekend.  And it started off hot with the tag title match.  Cooled off a little with the Aries debut.  Then, Nakamura & Zayn had a strong style battle that exceeded my expectations.  But then it went straight to the Bayley/Asuka match, which really suffered from no buffer match.  Everyone needed a minute, myself included.  Crews/That Drifter Guy I Cannot Remember The Name Of is going to be bad and short whenever they have a match. That could have been a nice five minute buffer match.

Then the main event.  Beyond the 'miss' I give Balor for his entrance and Demon paint, it never had a chance.  Joe got cut hardway within the first minute and the next ten were constant interruptions by the ref/docs to stop the bleeding.  They never really recovered.  I get that this is a PG, safety first thing.  But it is just a shame.

I don't think I will see anything better than Nakamura/Zayn over the next three days.  But I do look forward to seeing people try.

I don't know wether to say that Wrestlemania was kind of a mess or a complete Mess. Some of the matches were good if not great. In particular, there's the opening Ladder Match. Like I honestly was not expecting Ryder to win. Seriously, the match was just executed very well all around. I don't expect there to be a long term push for him as a result but still. The Women's Match later on was probably the highlight up until the last minute. It's actually a bone of contention how it ended actually. Earlier, there was a big deal about giving respect by calling it the Women's Championship yet they can't even give Charlotte a clean win. I get it. She's a heel. It just undercuts that she has to win because of the intercession of a man. Elements of the Styles v Jericho match were good but hampered by the fact that Jericho has seen better days.

The rest was either just meh (Lesner v Ambrose, the Battle Royale, New Day v League of Nations) or just confusing. I mean, okay, everyone knew it was going to be Roman Reigns winning but HHH's entrance with Stephanie doing post-apocalypse cult priestess over a group of half-rate cenobites? What the fuck? Then, okay, I knew when I saw The Rock, he was going to prattle on for a bit but then random match with the Wyatts and then a obviously not back to 100% Cena comes out? What was the point? Almost as pointless was Shawn and The Undertaker. Once again, something with an expected outcome but it doesn't change in what the point was of any of the build-up? In the long run, it's probably going to be a lower-tier Wrestlemania, not the worst but still, barely worth the time.

I feel it is the struggle to define what NXT is what is keeping certain people down there a bit longer than it should be.  I don't think NXT was ever intended to become this popular, to the point they are doing international tours by themselves.   So, while NXT is still a 'developmental promotion', it has to sustain a certain level.  Otherwise, you get The Drifter and Mojo headlining.

I think of when the big NXT names left, it was always after someone new of the same level came in.  Neville left one Takeover after the Owens debut.  Sasha Banks left for good one Takeover after Asuka showed up.  Owens left one Takeover after Joe came in.  And more of less, Zayn got the call up when Nakamura was set to debut.  Heck, even Enzo & Cass stayed until the top face tag team spot was will with American Alpha.