Sign in to follow this  
D.W.

Random wrestling thoughts

On 11/5/2018 at 2:36 PM, slothian said:

Totally by chance too! The Smackdown roster are staying at my hotel. I arrived to find the entrance cordoned off and then the next thing I know, I'm having a selfie with Daniel Bryan!

That is awesome!

The Dakota Kai / Taynara Conti was solid. Wasn't sure what to expect from either, and I came away enjoying both.

Kai is very very good. 

I can’t tell if they’re gonna put the belt on Velveteen Dream or not. Ciampa is definitely ready for his call up. 

Gargano’s promo was fabulous, I and I can’t wait for his Wargames match with Black. 

The actual Wargames match looks fantastic too. 

On 11/8/2018 at 11:04 AM, slothian said:

That the whole thing really annoys @Preston is just the sweetest icing on the cake!

I admit, I am also jealous.

Of that, and the British accent.

22 hours ago, S-T said:

I admit, I am also jealous.

Of that, and the British accent.

Mighty kind!

But as long as we all agree that trolling Preston is the noblest aim, everyone will get along!

On 11/10/2018 at 7:47 PM, slothian said:

Mighty kind!

But as long as we all agree that trolling Preston is the noblest aim, everyone will get along!

All Americans secretly wish they had a British accent. But you knew that already.

Watched the Sea of Honor tournament.  And it was alright.  It looked great on the boat, but the actual wrestling was just fine.  But one thing that bugged me was Matt Taven.  He was the worst guest commentator I have heard in a while.  The other contender for that title was Mandy Leon, sitting at the desk with him.  Bless Colt Cabana for trying, but he could not save it. 

OK, so I am listening to a podcast where they are recapping the 1991 Survivor Series. Jake Roberts and Earthquake are on the same team. But it was only 4 or 5 months earlier that Earthquake brutally killed Jake's pet snake Damien.  

If someone viciously killed one of my dogs I would not be friends with him 4 months later. I would pretty much beat him into submission with a lead pipe. This isn't going to be a match where I pin his shoulders to the mat, or even a hardcore match. I am waiting for him in the parking lot and putting him in intensive care.  

(Then I would want dog owners on the jury and hope for jury nullification.)

This is one of the things I hated about wrestling in the 80's and early 90's. If someone turns heel, he is friendly with the other heels no matter what happened in the past. If someone turns face, he is friendly with the other faces no matter what happened in the past. This is not how human beings work.

Even Batman the Animated Series didn't forget the conflict between Poison Ivy and Harvey Dent just because Dent turned heel and became Two-Face.

Thanks @Kscriv for recommending the Old School Wrestling podcast on the Cure for the Common Podcast.

Waited until the season was over to marathon it, but I just finished Lucha Underground season 4.  And it was a mixed bag.  You could tell the budget was smaller.  There was more in ring action and way less acting.  And that is my main issue.  I want the insanity that is LU.  I want dragons and magic gloves and the occasional murder killin'. That is what made the show so great.  Not to say that these things were absent, but they clearly focused resources on 5-7 big scenes.  I think at one point four episodes in a row had nothing outside the ring.  Now, the actual wrestling is still pretty dang great, but in 2018 I can get great wrestling most places.  I come to LU to see Paul London take a bad acid trip or AeroStar to do time traveling (which all reports I read seem to forget he can do).

Spent the day catching up on NXT UK.  Still a week behind but it has been enjoyable.  The roster is more than solid and it really is just another NXT.  And I am completely okay with that.

Oh, and someone's grandfather keeps wandering out and everyone is really polite about it.  I know Johnny Saint is a legend and all, but he looks painfully lost at all times.

Daniel Bryan needs a new theme song. The current one is far too upbeat. The heel turn seems to be taking, though. He is getting booed.