Random wrestling thoughts

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I randomly felt like watching some Eddie Guerrero. So I popped in his DVD set and two things stand out.

1) Trying to explain lucha tag rules to my roommate is comically difficult. Also, Madonna's Boyfriend.

2) Eddie vs. Rey. Mask vs. Title. Eddie has the greatest mullet of all time. Seriously, that mullet is a 10 and all others can only be 8. It is that awesome.

The PPV was not good.

The cage was was alright, given that Henry cannot do much at the moment. Cena/Kane ended like I expected and I skipped most of it. But this feud killed Ryder for no good reason. The Punk/Ziggler match had potential that was not met. The entire Johnny Ace storyline just killed any momentum the match may have had. Which is sad because... Way to much filler. Drop the Clay/McIntyre and Divas matches and maybe give the Title matches more time and I would like them better. Plus, the Cena/Rock video packages are good, but not on a PPV.

The Rumble itself was bad:

- When with biggest pop was for Jim Duggan, you have problems.

- Sheamus winning seems to be a swerve for swerves sake.

- The comedy was okay and kept to a minimum. Ricardo~! was a highlight to be sure. The Foley/Santino interaction was fun too.

- While Rhodes/Miz lasted a long time, I never really felt like they did much. I think Rhodes eliminated the most people, but it never felt like he was on a roll.

As for the commentators being in the Rumble? Kinda unneeded, but I cannot think of anyone of note left out of the Rumble. Off the top of my head: Uso #2, Tyler Reks, Heath Slater, Curt Hawkins, Tyson Kidd, nXt guys, and I cannot think of anymore. Maybe Goldust? Not anyone that would be a threat to win. The roster is kinda weak.

The PPV was not good.

The cage was was alright, given that Henry cannot do much at the moment. Cena/Kane ended like I expected and I skipped most of it. But this feud killed Ryder for no good reason. The Punk/Ziggler match had potential that was not met. The entire Johnny Ace storyline just killed any momentum the match may have had. Which is sad because... Way to much filler. Drop the Clay/McIntyre and Divas matches and maybe give the Title matches more time and I would like them better. Plus, the Cena/Rock video packages are good, but not on a PPV.

The Rumble itself was bad:

- When with biggest pop was for Jim Duggan, you have problems.

- Sheamus winning seems to be a swerve for swerves sake.

- The comedy was okay and kept to a minimum. Ricardo~! was a highlight to be sure. The Foley/Santino interaction was fun too.

- While Rhodes/Miz lasted a long time, I never really felt like they did much. I think Rhodes eliminated the most people, but it never felt like he was on a roll.

As for the commentators being in the Rumble? Kinda unneeded, but I cannot think of anyone of note left out of the Rumble. Off the top of my head: Uso #2, Tyler Reks, Heath Slater, Curt Hawkins, Tyson Kidd, nXt guys, and I cannot think of anymore. Maybe Goldust? Not anyone that would be a threat to win. The roster is kinda weak.

I agree with most of that. But would change that I enjoyed the rumble match, overall. It was fun.

I'll watch it again this week, but overall it was below average. Mick Foley shouldn't be in the ring, let alone running to it or taking top rope bumps to the floor. Ricardo and Kharma were the real highlights for me. For most of the match I was keeping track of the heel/face ratio in the ring and this was a very heel-heavy rumble, no faces had real dominant performances. Some guys like Kofi and Primo pulled out spots that impressed, and the surprises like Road Dogg and Duggan were fine. Could have done without the announcers entering, I saw that storyline coming the second Cole started berating King for entering.

I guess it just didn't feel like a Rumble with a great story like some past ones, last year CM Punk and the New Nexus had this huge run through half the Rumble, and before that Punk was epic both in the ring and on the mic. There was no standout performance here, Miz may have gone quite a distance in the Rumble but I don't see it counting for much. There was no Rey Mysterio, Kane in 2001 or Benoit. Not that every big Rumble winner should go coast to coast but I don't think Sheamus was that dominant in there, and he really should have been. Sheamus should have been on a roll, eliminating lots of guys in style and really popping the crowd. That didn't happen.

I'm sure your enjoyment had nothing to do with Cody eliminating six people.

That had nothing to do with it. The fact that he made it from an early number, and survived till the last guy came in, and took out all the people I disliked in the rumble, was just a bonus. :smilewinkgrin:

Cody had the stand out showing, which you explained Stavros, he eliminated the most people from the rumble singlehandidly over time. It's because it wasn't played up much, and the fact that it never came down to him VS The Miz sort of ruins the gang war mentality.

Also, Ricardo's performance was fucking awesome, and made me want to see what Santino would do.

Beth Phoenix keeps popping up on Botchamania, and that tells me one of two things:

01. She works with crap lady wrestlers.

02. She isn't as good as everyone says, because she can't make her foes look good.

And I'm leaning towards the latter.

Why are you giving more than 2 minutes of thought to Beth Phoenix?

She’s had a few good matches, and she seems pretty passionate about the business. In a company where most of the female roster struggle with the most basic aspects of wrestling, she stands out. She needs someone near her level and a decent amount of time to put on a good match though, and she hasn't had that in a looooooooooong time.

She’s had a few good matches, and she seems pretty passionate about the business. In a company where most of the female roster struggle with the most basic aspects of wrestling, she stands out. She needs someone near her level and a decent amount of time to put on a good match though, and she hasn't had that in a looooooooooong time.

I agree with this. However, nowadays, she is slightly annoying me, by openly talking her opponents through matches (Like Kelly Kelly at TLC) which takes me out of enjoying the match. That, and diva's matches these days, are usually pretty damn terrible.

People grade her on a curve, and she is one of the best they have by that standard. There's also the consideration that her non-Diva look automatically gives the implication she can go in the ring. The inverse of this is true as well, as I think Eve Torres is underrated as hell, but she's too pretty to be considered a good worker by most people.

People grade her on a curve, and she is one of the best they have by that standard. There's also the consideration that her non-Diva look automatically gives the implication she can go in the ring. The inverse of this is true as well, as I think Eve Torres is underrated as hell, but she's too pretty to be considered a good worker by most people.

See, I think Natalya is the best diva in WWE right now. Not only in wrestling ability, but looks wise. It's a shame she has this stupid fart gimmick now. Eve (Or the tree as I call her) is OK in the ring, but she is in the ring with mostly cookie cutter hot women these days, like Kelly Kelly, so I have no frame of reference to say I've ever seen her have a match I've enjoyed.

I just checked the Divas roster and they only have twelve women.

Looks wise, here are my top five.

1) AJ

2) Layla

3) That one Bella

4) Eve

5) The other Bella

In-ring, these are the top five.

1) Natalya

2) Kharma

3) Beth

4) Naomi

5) Eve/Layla

Three of those women, they do absolutely nothing with.