Random wrestling thoughts

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watched Takeover 2. Really solid show, but with no excellent match it is a distant third of these nXt specials. Other thoughts:

- They put a video display on the hard camera side of the ring over the ring apron. I like it.

- I love Enzo, but he isn't very good in the ring.

- I don't like the Hideo Itami name for KENTA. It just seems rather unnecessary.

- To quote Rob Schamberger "Neville has the torso of a 90's Image superhero."

WWE needs to drop the Vladimir Putin gimmick soon. The situation in Ukraine is getting more serious. It's not funny, and while it's getting heat this has the potential to be a real public relations mess.

Remember when WWE was forced to release Muhammad Hassan because the "terrorist" gimmick* became a public relations nightmare after the London bus bombings? It would be a waste to have to release Rusev because the Ukraine/Russia battle suddenly takes a much more serious turn.

*Yes, I know the character wasn't actually a terrorist. But it was a hot potato anyway.

WWE needs to drop the Vladimir Putin gimmick soon. The situation in Ukraine is getting more serious. It's not funny, and while it's getting heat this has the potential to be a real public relations mess.

Lana is the star of that group. Koslov Rusev is a nobody without her. He has no personality, and can't connect with the fans without her.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about 25 episodes into Nitro and I've come to one conclusion- Lex Luger is underrated. Dude is great in his undercover heel role and his matches are good. He gets a bad rap because guys like Austin and the WWE got to write history, but personal issues with him aside he was a genuine talent. Yes he was a jerk and yes he was an idiot, but he was also worthy of his spot.

• 4 weeks later...

Watched the first episode of the new Lucha Underground. It was interesting at least. The hour format is always welcome. Cannot stress that enough. The shooting style reminds me a little of Wrestling Society X. And they had the overhead camera that usually shows up in ladder matches. At the end of the day, it looks different than WWE, which is always good. It is commentated by Matt Striker and Vampiro. I didn't really notice them too much, except that they had a desk camera on them and would keep cutting to them mid match.

But what made this stand out was everything outside of the ring. These backstage vignettes. They were shot (and 'acted') like they were a dark serious HBO drama. The 'owner' of the company is trying to be Scarface. You can tell that they put a lot of time & money into the product just by how these were produced. Yeah, they came off as cheesy and ridiculous, but I loved them.

After one show, I'd say they are behind Chikara and nXt, but ahead of everything else. I can see this going downhill very quickly, but I'll be along for the ride.

• 1 month later...

nXt Takeover: [R]evolution was an excellent show. While I feel Arrival and the original Takeover had better matches, this was the best card top to bottom. Highlights:

- Even tho I was never a fan, sad that Corey Graves had to retire due to concussions. That said, he was quite good on commentary for his first night.

- Every time one of these guys makes his debut, it just feels surreal. Kevin Owens was no different.

- Charlotte continues to impress, but the star of that match was Sasha Banks. Never really had much time for her, but she stepped up her game.

- Main event was perhaps a (minor) step down in ring, but made up for it in story.

- I think one of the biggest pops was when Hideo Itami went for the GTS. Loudest boos when it was blocked. I popped huge.

- Finn Balor. That entrance. I had expectations, that surpassed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYJ_DN3DN6o

- The ending. This will be fun. Hope they can make it interesting until Takeover IV in February.

I'm about 25 episodes into Nitro and I've come to one conclusion- Lex Luger is underrated. Dude is great in his undercover heel role and his matches are good. He gets a bad rap because guys like Austin and the WWE got to write history, but personal issues with him aside he was a genuine talent. Yes he was a jerk and yes he was an idiot, but he was also worthy of his spot.

Glad to hear someone stick up for Luger! There is a podcast that is rewatching the 1997 Raws, Nitros, Clashes, and PPVs (they started with 1996) and the hosts freaking hate Luger so much its pretty much a trope of the show. Especially when they open up for feedback (from Twitter, no email) and their fans egg them on with more hate on Luger (along with Buff Bagwell and Eric Bischoff) as one of the worst pro wrestlers ever.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched the Prince Devitt documentary "Smack 'Em Up". Basically follows him on his last tour of Japan (& ICW for that matter). Not too in depth at only 50 minutes. But this was fun. Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows are the highlights. Solid recommendation.

Agreed. Although I still find it hard to like Doc, he's always so excited about swearing. I don't mind swearing but just because I can, doesn't mean I do.

Actually between this doc, the two BBC docs and the fact that they're basically co-hosting TNA's impact tapings in Glasgow ICW are getting a hell of a lot of press for a UK indy. Well, not co-hosting but TNA putting on a Grado vs Al Snow match because they know the crowd will be hardcore ICW fans? Smart move.

Royal Rumble is tomorrow. I'll be in chat watching it if you're also viewing at home.

I'd join the chat but these PPV's need so much buffering through the network that we've often found ourselves 3-4 minutes behind on the action, not helpful in a Rumble. Nevertheless I wish you good Rumblings.

Even with them both having the same problem, this was worse than last year. Last years did turn until Mysterio came out at #30. The crowd still had hope. By taking Byran out early, all hope was lost and the booing began.

Even outside of Bryan, that was not a good Rumble. It didn't start any feuds as far as I can tell. All crowd favorites got nothing. And the ending was poorly booked, with Kane & Show killing fools.

That said, the title match was good.