Random wrestling thoughts

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I watched most of ECW November to Remember 99 last night. Fuck, I miss Jerry Lynn. His match with Tajiri and Super Crazy was fucking great. Sabu match is awesome as always too.

What I liked most about it, is, here's a fucking Pay Per View that doesn't even provide a break between fights for like 40 minutes. They don't even have fucking ring entrances. Like, one match ends and then another guy comes in and beats the shit out of the winner, but then the guy in the next match comes out and beats up both of those guys until the guy he's supposed to fight comes out and starts brawling, then eventually a bell rings. This is the first fucking hour and a half of the pay per view. Pretty great when it takes 15 minutes for a match to start in WWE.

Just finished the ppv and if there's a better match out there than Mike Awesome v Tanaka then I've never seen one. Fucking bonkers.

If you need for Awesome/Tanaka goodness look up Heatwave 98 and One Night Stand 2005.

Just finished the ppv and if there's a better match out there than Mike Awesome v Tanaka then I've never seen one. Fucking bonkers.

If you need for Awesome/Tanaka goodness look up Heatwave 98 and One Night Stand 2005.

Oh, I will, thanks. I'm probably going to go back and go in chronological order with their PPVs over the summer.

The only thing more amazing than these matches is that Mike Awesome had this haircut in 1999:

Mike_Awesome_-_Mike_Alfonso_01.jpg

Now I can't shake the visual of Des sitting back and watching old ECW in a comfy chair with his dog on his lap and a fancy drink in hand.

Comfy couch, but that's basically how it works. As long as a stiff rye and soda counts as a fancy drink.

I never watched ECW when it was a thing.  I wasn't a fan of wrestling until late 99, so much of the ECW charm is lost on me.

That said, very few things in wrestling make me happier than Masato Tanaka vs. Mike Awesome.

https://representingpuroresu.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/profile_masatotanaka.jpg

I mean look at that guy.  How can you not love him?

ECW's first PPV, Barely Legal was the first time I'd watched wrestling since I was probably 10. It was the day after my 17th birthday and my best friend and I were going to rip it up. No one was around (this being a Sunday night, we expected better). So, instead we drank our faces off, put illicit stuff up our noses and ended up stealing this PPV off of his black box cable receiver. It was fucking bonkers and still is.

That night we beat the shit out of each other at 2AM in his back yard, bare-chested. It's the gayest thing I've ever been a part of and I've kissed a dude before.

This PPV still holds up: 

-Elminators v Dudley Boys: who knew Perry Saturn was such a fucking high-flyer?

-RVD v Lance Storm (even though Storm seemingly refuses to throw a convincing chair hit.)

-6 man tag with Japanese guys I still have no idea who they are

-Shane Douglas v Pitbull #2 (probably the lamest match but better than most)

-Sabu and Taz (kind of sedate for Sabu, but I think he was pretty injured. The way his arm was taped makes me think it was soon after his bicep fell out of his arm in that barbwire match with Terry Funk.)

-Terry Funk v Sandman v Stevie Richards in a three man hardcore shitshow to decide who gets to fight Raven RIGHT AFTER THE END OF THE MATCH.

Fucking amazing. I only wish they had professional camera work so you could have coverage of everything.

Hahaha!

Suddenly, I feel like I need an article series about Des' wrestling fandom and the wacky shit he did around PPVs.....

That was probably the wackiest. There were a couple from ECW and a few from WWF and maybe one WCW one (because I was the only person I knew who watched WCW). Only one ended in backyard, coked-out, shirtless, 2 AM wrestling.

Like I'm seriously reading this trying to figure out a way for Des and I do to a podcast on it.

ECW fan Des is so surreal but makes so much sense at the same time.

I'm an enigma.

• 4 weeks later...

I watched UFC200 last night. It was my first UFC PPV since they started using weight classes. It was pretty good, but the biggest takeaway from it all is that Brock Lesnar is married to Sable and she still looks amazing. I realize most of you probably already knew that, but I felt it needed to be said.

• 2 weeks later...

Week #1 of the new new NEW new new NEW NEW (new?) era of WWE.  And it is a bit much.  Take quality out of it (as I'd say this has been a pretty good week all around).  Forget about that.  It is Thursday and I've watched, rounding a bit, 10 hours over four days.  I just finished NXT and the burnout is real.  And I still have the Cruiserweight Classic to go.  I know I don't have, nor do I think they expect me to watch everything.  Kinda glad Lucha Underground is on a break and TNA is, well, TNA.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished watching Cyberslam '98 (and drinking half a bottle of rye). Jerry Lynn is great and kicks it off in a match against Dastadly Dan or something. Lynn is great in that his matches always start like a classic old school WWF match, but quickly turn to putting his body on the line. Jerry Lynn is one of the mist underrated wrestlers of all-time. Then comes Al Snow vs Tracy Smothers. Al Snow is one of the most boring performers I've ever seen .Holy shit, he's awful. Chris Chetti and Doug Furnas, I fast forwarded through. Lance Storm vs Chris Candido is not great. Taz v Brakkus is a snooze. Justin Credible v Tommy Dreamer is where it gets good. No one looks as good as Tommy Dreamer with blood streaming down his face. Next up is the 6-Man tag of Axl Rotten, Balls Mahoney and Sandman versus the Dudley Boys, which gets interrupted by New Jack, Spike Dudley and some other guy turning it into a 9 Man tag. I love that the ref just allows it to happen and counts pins by guys WHO SHOULDN'T BE IN THE MATCH. A six man tag in WWF used to be four guys standing around waiting for one of the two guys wrestling to tag them, but in ECW it is two guys in the ring and 4 guys beating the shit out of each other constantly outside. Add the other three guys and it's chaos. Then, Rob Van Dam and Sabu vs BamBam Bigelow and Shane Douglas. Amazing match. Heavily weighted to the end, but a mixed bag all around.