Random wrestling thoughts

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man...I found streams of ECW Hardcore TV on Dailymotion dating back to the first episode in 1993. There goes the rest of my year...

Edit: holy shit, they are really psyched about playing clips from Terry Funk's appearance on Quantum Leap.

So basically, besides having Terry Funk and Sandman (ridiculously playing a surfer dude), these Eastern Championship Wrestling shows are nothing like the ECW we all know andf ove. Just going to pick and choose my matches until Shane Douglas shows up, I guess.

Fast Forward to 1995 and we're in much more comfortable territory.

Edited by Dread

• 3 weeks later...

I thought about re-subscribing to Hulu so I could watch Raw and Smackdown again, but the all of the new titles have drained my interest. Since the brand split we have four (soon to be five) brand new championship belts. A new set of tag champs, another women's champ, a cruiserwieght champ and a "universal" champ.

I thought that the tag team champ, women's champ and world heavyweight champ would be on both shows. Nope, we have to water down what it means to be a champion again. Great. And WWE was doing so well in reducing the glut of titles.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ha! I was just coming here to ask:

As a guy who's been out of wrestling since the Attitude Era began to wane and is slowly getting back in, why does everybody seem to hate Roman Reigns?

He came in as part of a hot group known as the Shield, flanked by two much better guys to mostly hide the fact that he wasn't very good.  He got better, but by the time the company decided to make him the new Hulk Hogan, the fans had already decided that was going to be someone else (plucky underdog Daniel Bryan).  They responded by shoving Roman Reigns down everyone's throats (including having him beat Bryan), which just enhanced the idea of him being an undeserving guy in a top position because Vince McMahon thinks he looks good.

It's been years and years of them trying to make him into this big thing and he's just flopped over and over.  Doesn't matter, they keep trying.  He still wins all of the time and comes off as an unlikable prick pretty much every time he speaks. 

Him appearing in this years Rumble was a huge troll because he basically made the last two years unwatchable.

Ha! I was just coming here to ask:

As a guy who's been out of wrestling since the Attitude Era began to wane and is slowly getting back in, why does everybody seem to hate Roman Reigns?

He came in as part of a hot group known as the Shield, flanked by two much better guys to mostly hide the fact that he wasn't very good.  He got better, but by the time the company decided to make him the new Hulk Hogan, the fans had already decided that was going to be someone else (plucky underdog Daniel Bryan).  They responded by shoving Roman Reigns down everyone's throats (including having him beat Bryan), which just enhanced the idea of him being an undeserving guy in a top position because Vince McMahon thinks he looks good.

It's been years and years of them trying to make him into this big thing and he's just flopped over and over.  Doesn't matter, they keep trying.  He still wins all of the time and comes off as an unlikable prick pretty much every time he speaks. 

Him appearing in this years Rumble was a huge troll because he basically made the last two years unwatchable.

Huh. Good for heel-juice though, right?

I mean, from what I've seen of him (which admittedly not a lot) he seems to be more of the Atttude style/big man style wrestling when the younger, leaner high-flying stuff (AJ Styles-ish thing) is what's more popular right now. 

Who do you consider great at WWE right now? Not trying to be annoying, just trying to get some perspective.

Follow-up: if I were to pick up a weekly wrestling show, which should I try first? I'm leaning toward Lucha Underground.

Edited by Dread

People have been calling for Roman to go heel for ages now.  It may be happening soon since his rumored Wrestlemania match is with Undertaker.  And he WILL get booed against Taker.

As far as who's good in WWE, this is probably the best they've had in terms of pure talent.  Here's a few.

AJ Styles (Best guy in the company.  Almost 40 and still having great matches.  Just lost the Smackdown World Title. )

Kevin Owens (RAW world champ.  Fat guy that can move.  Great promo guy.)

Cesaro (Big dude they don't do nearly enough with.  Has good matches with everyone.  Kind of a Swiss James Bond.)

Bray Wyatt (If he debuted 20 years ago, he'd be killing it in ECW.  Does a backwoods cult-leader thing.)

Others: Sami Zayn, Seth Rollins, Neville, American Alpha, Samoa Joe, Shinsuke Nakamura

As for a show to watch, it depends.  You should be eligable for a free month of the Network to check out the stuff they have on there.  For WWE stuff, I'd say either NXT or Smackdown.  Both are short and easy viewing.  RAW is fucking terrible most weeks and it's three hours long.

Lucha Underground started off really strong but has really fallen off a cliff lately.  They're obsessed with man-on-woman violence and the storylines aren't nearly as interesting as they were in the first two seasons.  Those would be worth checking out, though.

People have been calling for Roman to go heel for ages now.  It may be happening soon since his rumored Wrestlemania match is with Undertaker.  And he WILL get booed against Taker.

As far as who's good in WWE, this is probably the best they've had in terms of pure talent.  Here's a few.

AJ Styles (Best guy in the company.  Almost 40 and still having great matches.  Just lost the Smackdown World Title. )

Kevin Owens (RAW world champ.  Fat guy that can move.  Great promo guy.)

Cesaro (Big dude they don't do nearly enough with.  Has good matches with everyone.  Kind of a Swiss James Bond.)

Bray Wyatt (If he debuted 20 years ago, he'd be killing it in ECW.  Does a backwoods cult-leader thing.)

Others: Sami Zayn, Seth Rollins, Neville, American Alpha, Samoa Joe, Shinsuke Nakamura

As for a show to watch, it depends.  You should be eligable for a free month of the Network to check out the stuff they have on there.  For WWE stuff, I'd say either NXT or Smackdown.  Both are short and easy viewing.  RAW is fucking terrible most weeks and it's three hours long.

Lucha Underground started off really strong but has really fallen off a cliff lately.  They're obsessed with man-on-woman violence and the storylines aren't nearly as interesting as they were in the first two seasons.  Those would be worth checking out, though.

Thank you for this. 

I like Sami Zayn a fucking lot. Nakamura is cool too (kind of like the Takashi Miike-directed biopic of Freddie Mercury). Kevin Owens and Rollins and Styles are all awesome too from what I've seen (which is very little). 

So, as a guy who has the Network, which I assume you do, does it also have all the old ECW pay per views? For...reasons.