Random wrestling thoughts

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kai is very very good. 

I can’t tell if they’re gonna put the belt on Velveteen Dream or not. Ciampa is definitely ready for his call up. 

Gargano’s promo was fabulous, I and I can’t wait for his Wargames match with Black. 

The actual Wargames match looks fantastic too. 

On 11/10/2018 at 7:47 PM, slothian said:

Mighty kind!

But as long as we all agree that trolling Preston is the noblest aim, everyone will get along!

All Americans secretly wish they had a British accent. But you knew that already.

Watched the Sea of Honor tournament.  And it was alright.  It looked great on the boat, but the actual wrestling was just fine.  But one thing that bugged me was Matt Taven.  He was the worst guest commentator I have heard in a while.  The other contender for that title was Mandy Leon, sitting at the desk with him.  Bless Colt Cabana for trying, but he could not save it. 

OK, so I am listening to a podcast where they are recapping the 1991 Survivor Series. Jake Roberts and Earthquake are on the same team. But it was only 4 or 5 months earlier that Earthquake brutally killed Jake's pet snake Damien.  

If someone viciously killed one of my dogs I would not be friends with him 4 months later. I would pretty much beat him into submission with a lead pipe. This isn't going to be a match where I pin his shoulders to the mat, or even a hardcore match. I am waiting for him in the parking lot and putting him in intensive care.  

(Then I would want dog owners on the jury and hope for jury nullification.)

This is one of the things I hated about wrestling in the 80's and early 90's. If someone turns heel, he is friendly with the other heels no matter what happened in the past. If someone turns face, he is friendly with the other faces no matter what happened in the past. This is not how human beings work.

Even Batman the Animated Series didn't forget the conflict between Poison Ivy and Harvey Dent just because Dent turned heel and became Two-Face.

Thanks @Kscriv for recommending the Old School Wrestling podcast on the Cure for the Common Podcast.

• 3 weeks later...

Waited until the season was over to marathon it, but I just finished Lucha Underground season 4.  And it was a mixed bag.  You could tell the budget was smaller.  There was more in ring action and way less acting.  And that is my main issue.  I want the insanity that is LU.  I want dragons and magic gloves and the occasional murder killin'. That is what made the show so great.  Not to say that these things were absent, but they clearly focused resources on 5-7 big scenes.  I think at one point four episodes in a row had nothing outside the ring.  Now, the actual wrestling is still pretty dang great, but in 2018 I can get great wrestling most places.  I come to LU to see Paul London take a bad acid trip or AeroStar to do time traveling (which all reports I read seem to forget he can do).

Spent the day catching up on NXT UK.  Still a week behind but it has been enjoyable.  The roster is more than solid and it really is just another NXT.  And I am completely okay with that.

Oh, and someone's grandfather keeps wandering out and everyone is really polite about it.  I know Johnny Saint is a legend and all, but he looks painfully lost at all times.

• 3 weeks later...

In the aftermath of this week's Ohno / Riddle match, when Ohno was assaulting Riddle, some rando in the crowd yelled, "All he wanted was a fist bump!" It was so pure and sad, and it makes you remember that kayfabe can be fun to get sucked into.

Started to watch Raw. Opening steel cage match. Why is the babyface acting like a coward and running away immediately, to have the heel stop him and beat him up? That's not how a face should act. Terrible booking decision. If I was watching this on mute and had no clue about characters or storylines I would assume the heel/face dynamic is exactly the opposite of what it is supposed to be.

19 hours ago, Professor said:

Abut 4 matches into Wrestle Kingdom and I will say this.  I don't know how is it possible to not absolute love Tomohiro Ishii. 

I mean if I took a chop or a forearm shot from him I'd probably start to dislike him when I regained consciousness.

Spent the day trying (and failing) to catch up on NXT UK before Takeover: Blackpool.  I was about all wrestled out when I saw the WWE put up a doc on Nigel McGuinness.  And it is excellent.  A must watch for sure.  Using footage from Nigel's retirement tour documentary put this over the top for me. 

Side note: All the ROH footage of Nigel made me want to bust out some ROH DVDs.  I forgot how much I now hate the banging on the metal signs.  So very much.

• 2 weeks later...

Smackdown last week: Mandy Rose lures Jimmy Uso to her hotel room, and admits she only did it because she hates Naomi and wants to break up her marriage. We all know wrestling is not real. But the show takes place as if it were real. In no workplace would this ever be tolerated. All three of them would be fired. Also, this is why people have described pro wrestling as a "male soap opera" for at least the last twenty years.

On 1/21/2019 at 8:06 AM, S-T said:

In no workplace would this ever be tolerated. All three of them would be fired.

Strowman tipped over the boss's limo the day before.  Styles just punched a senior citizen.  Heck, Johnny Gargano jumped a co-worker in the parking lot.  So in this workplace, quite a few things are tolerated.

On 1/22/2019 at 4:13 PM, Professor said:

Strowman tipped over the boss's limo the day before.  Styles just punched a senior citizen.  Heck, Johnny Gargano jumped a co-worker in the parking lot.  So in this workplace, quite a few things are tolerated.

Including Stone Cold Steve Austin forcibly sodomizing the owner of the company with a tube when McMahon was in the hospital, and a heel group trying to castrate Val Venis with a sword. Yes, there is a lot of stupid that makes it really obvious how fake this is. Mandy Rose's plot, in fairness, was extremely tame compared to a lot of stuff that has happened in WWE storylines. But it was still really stupid.