Random wrestling thoughts

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know anymore.  I don't watch WWE proper anymore, barely watching random PPV matches.  But I always watch the Rumble.  It is my favorite 'annual tradition' match they do.  And while I am sincerely happy that the women now have their own Rumble, two on one show is rough.  I was about Rumbled out by around entrant 12 of the Men's Rumble.

Other things:

- Seems like NXT has replaced Legends as the surprises.  Which I am okay with, to a point.  But having some MYC-ers that haven't even made NXT TV is a bit much (Even with how much I like Xia Li and wanted Meiko Satomura to show up and kick people).

- I hated the Nia Jax spot.  Not because it happened, but rather because it happened in the WWE.  We all know the WWE rules on inter-gender contact in the post Attitude Era.  So I hate when they do it.  I hated it in NXT with Nikki Cross.  I hated it in the Mixed Match Challenge.  Again, I have zero issues with Inter-Gender Wrestling.  I just re-watched the Lucha Underground episode where Pentagon Jr. faced Kari Sane & Io Shirai.  It is brutal, but it is a Pentagon Jr. match in Lucha Underground.  The WWE doing this spot goes against all the rules they themselves have set in place. 

- Halftime Heat is a brilliant idea.  Only one problem.  Michael Cole, when introducing the video package, said something akin to "After Takeover, While Tomasso Ciampa was posing with his longtime friend Johnny Gargano".  I mean, they are telling a very long term story in NXT with those two.  I would not describe them as 'longtime friends'.  Complicated.  They have a complicated relationship.  All you had to say.  The disconnect on NXT & WWE is so stupid.

- Standard NXT hipster comments: Takeover was way better.  2.5 hr show >> 6hr show.  That Gargano guy is nifty.  I guess Ricochet is okay too.

I think it’s safe to say the Becky Lynch heel turn was the most unsuccessful heel turn in wrestling history. She is more over as a baby face than ever.

The ovation she got on Raw was amazing. She is the most over performer on the roster right now.

Now seems like the perfect time to turn Rousey heel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If the rumors are true, King Kong Bundy has passed away at the age of 61.

As a kid, he was one of my favorite bad guys. He had such presence, and looked like he could really break you in half. He also worked like a guy half his size, and never seemed to get tired.

About 15 years ago I had the opportunity to meet him outside of a convention center during a Wizard World Philly. He was super chill, and was willing to talk with me for a few minutes while he took a smoke break. Such a legendary big man.

Jushin Thunder Liger has announced he will retire 1/4/2020 at the age of 55.

Some video I watched noted that he has been in every PWI 500 since it started in 1991.  Granted the PWI 500 is worth nothing, but it illustrates the fact Liger has always been there.  From the sounds of it, he wants to do everything, everywhere one last time.  As he should.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting rid of my massively useless entertainment center soon, so I figured I might as well get rid of most of my VHS in the thing as well.  They are mostly Smackdowns that I taped, only keeping certain matches.  Which I have extensive records of in a notebook (dates, match times, stipulations, what I should keep (I had much better handwriting back then)).  The network makes all of these things rather useless.  But might as well give them a quick look.

First tape I put in starts (well, after a telethon and Kanye) with the Smackdown Fist, Pyro and Eddie Guerrero (in a I'm Your Papi shirt) vs. Rey Mysterio (looking older here in '05 than he does now in '19) in a steel cage match. 

This will be fun.

Edit:  The back half of the tape is the Eddie Guerrero tribute episode.  Suddenly, not much fun at all.

Edited by Professor

• 2 weeks later...

Don't have the Network, but I caught Mania results.

Spoiler

I loved Rollins winning, Kofi winning, and Lynch winning.

Just reading spoilers I was cheering.

There were a couple results I didn't like, but realized were smart booking. The three wins in the spoiler were plenty of satisfaction for me, even without watching the show.

It amazes me that mainstream sites like CBS Sports now cover pro wrestling. That would have been unthinkable in the 1980's or 1990's.

I haven't watched a WrestleMania since 1999 or 2000, but I may have to rent this one on DVD or something.

Some rando on Facebook was complaining about Kofi's win, specifically that he "has no chest" and that he's "never drawn a dime." I'm like, do you see all of the kids in the audience in New Day merch? Don't tell me The New Day doesn't put asses in seats.

Finally 'finished'  WrestleMania.  I use quote marks because I skipped a lot.  7.5 hours is way too long.  The G1 Supercard was too long at 5.5 hours (still haven't gotten to the main event and I skipped things). 

Of what I saw, the Kofi/Bryan match was the best moment.

After reading some reviews online, I have completely differing views on the main event.  I thought it was very sloppy, disjointed and overall boring.  The lack of crowd didn't help (not their fault) but I don't get where the love is coming from.

Oh, and it took me way too long to figure out Mysterio's costume. 

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap, that brings back so many memories!

Thinking of the Oratory days, does anybody remember a segment from 1999 / 2000 (maybe a little later) where Triple H and Kurt Angle (?) were arguing on a split-screen Titantron? The cameras were pushed in closer than normal for those types of segments, and I recall people at the Oratory thinking the implication was that the guys were receiving oral gratification from each other's girlfriends. Does that ring any bells? At the time I didn't see what others saw, but I was hoping to find it through the Network.