Sign in to follow this  
D.W.

Random wrestling thoughts

Holy crap, that brings back so many memories!

Thinking of the Oratory days, does anybody remember a segment from 1999 / 2000 (maybe a little later) where Triple H and Kurt Angle (?) were arguing on a split-screen Titantron? The cameras were pushed in closer than normal for those types of segments, and I recall people at the Oratory thinking the implication was that the guys were receiving oral gratification from each other's girlfriends. Does that ring any bells? At the time I didn't see what others saw, but I was hoping to find it through the Network.

I tend to think I have a pretty good memory for things like this.

I have no recollection of that at all.

Ashley Massaro has passed away. She was only 39.

One of the fun external things about last night's AEW Double or Nothing is the number of wantaway WWE stars tweeting about without giving a single fuck. No matter how successful AEW ultimately becomes, WWE have created this perfect storm by maintaining the creative "vision" of a senile, single-minded prick who cannot move on from anything. And pushes Roman Reigns as a top babyface.

The newest episode of Talk is Jericho is called "The Emancipation of John Moxley," it is ninety minutes of Moxley and Jericho talking about the environment in WWE today. It is FASCINATING and terrifying. Vince McMahon is not a functional human being. 

It is, but this is more reflective of how his creative process is crippling his talent and killing his company. Mox literally says repeatedly that he wasn't trying to come up with fresh ideas, he was basically in a daily uphill battle to stop Vince's shitty ideas from ruining any semblance of character that he had.  

And, I was a lapsed fan for like, a decade. I literally came back when I heard an NJPW guy won the Royal Rumble, last year and Moxley/Ambrose spent most of that time injured. I had zero connection to Dean Ambrose when he left the company, but his return at Double or Nothing was incredible and his subsequent promos have been off of the hook. 

I don't think I've ever done a bigger one eighty on a wrestler in such a short time. If creative is doing this to one guy, they're doing it all over and that's a damn shame. 

That Lesnar didn’t know he had a year to cash in makes him look like a complete idiot. Is that the intention of this storyline?

Also, I realize it would mess with the heel/face dynamic here but I am begging for Paul Heyman to point out that the same thing Rollins is angry at Lesnar for doing, Rollins himself did to Lesnar in 2014/2015. And worse, actually.

WWE thinks we have no long term memory.

NXT TakeOver: XXV predictions

Matt Riddle v Roderick Strong: Riddle via submission
Velveteen Dream v Tyler Breeze: Dream via pin
Tag Team Ladder Match: The Undisputed Era
Shayna Baszler v Io Shirai: Shirai via pin
Johnny Gargano v Adam Cole: Adam Cole via pin

If this comes to pass, Roderick strong will be the only member of The Undisputed Era without gold and an NXT 25 win. This will further drive a wedge between him and the group.

That Keith Lee / Kona Reeves match was an awesome fast-paced big-man brawl. Though Reeves lost, Lee put his ass over hard!

Lee is fantastic. He's one of the few NXT guys I think that would thrive on the main roster, as is. Matt Riddle being the other. 

Agreed. Lee would dominate the mid-card main roster. Hell, let him feud with Joe for the US belt.

Did Goldberg KO himself? I skimmed the match, so all I saw was that Taker won and Goldberg was busted open. Goldberg also tweeted disappointment in the match. What happened?

That's the consensus. When he hit the turnbuckle, he knocked himself silly. Throw in the fact that he was gassed after his entrance, and that explains the match pretty well. 

The whole thing was was scary. I hope both guys retire for good this time. 

There looked to be some pretty unsafe moves too. Specifically, the Tombstone and Jackhammer had both guys landing on their heads.

Hate to say it, but this match was always a bad idea. They're both too old to be doing this.