Random wrestling thoughts

Barring lightning striking Brock on the way to the ring or New Day piling on him, Brock was always going to win. I think most people accepted that going in. But man they did not need to kill Kofi in under 10 seconds. Not only does it devalue Kofi, it devalues the belt.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, The Master said:

Brock was always going to win. I think most people accepted that going in. But man they did not need to kill Kofi in under 10 seconds. 

I agree. Total disrespect of all Kofi has done for the company to give a gift to a coddled part-timer. My problem isn’t Kofi losing, as he had to lose eventually.

I don’t even have a problem with him losing to Lesnar, who has been booked like a dominant monster for years.

But he should not have been destroyed with one move, jobbed out in 10 seconds, made to look helpless and pathetic, and immediately tossed aside for the next challenger to Lesnar.

Let Kofi put up a fight, get some offense in, and lose with dignity.

Not like this. Definitely not like this!!

2 hours ago, The Master said:

Barring lightning striking Brock on the way to the ring or New Day piling on him, Brock was always going to win. I think most people accepted that going in. But man they did not need to kill Kofi in under 10 seconds. Not only does it devalue Kofi, it devalues the belt.

Get hit with lightning, Lesnar'd still kick at two. 

Yes, Kofi losing was happening.  But if he had a Lesnar/Balor level match, I don't think anyone bats an eye. 

5 hours ago, The Master said:

And everyone who failed to beat him by extension. 

I know it's been done to Bryan before, but it's testament to how little Vince rates/rated Kofi as a champion. No way would he have done that to Cena/Orton/Reigns.

Seriously, NXT is the only thing worth watching on WWE at this point, and even then, because it ultimately makes Vince money, I hope AEW continue to beat it in the ratings. Raw/Smackdown has justified AEW's existence, even if there's growing pains to be had.

15 minutes ago, slothian said:

And everyone who failed to beat him by extension.

Great point. Across two PPV matches, Randy Orton spent a combined 35 minutes fighting Kofi for that belt. Brock, nine seconds. Who does that actively help?

Not to fantasy book the ending, but Kofi should have rattled Brock with one stiff Trouble in Paradise, sending him out of the ring. The crowd gets hot. Maybe Kofi has a chance. Then an exceptionally pissed off Brock stands up, bounds into the ring, hints an F5, the pin, and we're done. Yeah, the match is still less than two minutes, but at least in that scenario Kofi and the Trouble in Paradise look strong because they enraged The Beast. It makes Brock look like he didn't take Kofi seriously. But the way it happened made Kofi look the one who went in with an "I got this" attitude.

2003 Brock Lesnar is probably one of my favorite wrestlers ever. Top five, I'd say. 

As of 2019, I could never see Lesnar again, and I'd be very happy. Just awful booking. And fun fact, Valasquez isn't even under WWE contact. He's just gonna wrestle the Saudi Show. 

I've seen some people, including Lance Storm, say that we wouldn't treat a nine-second MMA match with this much hatred, but that's missing the whole damn point. When an MMA fight is over and done in the blink of an eye, that's because someone legit got hit with a quick lucky shot. Wrestling, though, we all know is a work; we're there to see a storyline unfold in the ring. And what story can we take away from the nine-second trouncing of Kofi? "Fuck you" is the story. "Fuck you for supporting him. Fuck you for thinking his reign meant anything. Fuck you for being him. Fuck you for thinking anyone but Brock Lesnar can be a WWE champion." It not only disrespects Kofi, the championship, and his opponents, but also the fans.

This was a tone-deaf decision that I'm somewhat hoping hurts them next week in the ratings.

Also, how can a company that employs c.200 wrestlers and at least 80 on the main roster (Raw/Smackdown) release a PPV card of four matchs, and only add four matches on the day of the show - one of which is rematch of the recent KOTR finals?

As James used to say, I spit on your booking.

They're claiming it was "referee stoppage" but they didn't stop the match when they thought Foley was dead, so why stop the match when Seth Rollins hits a bunch of chairs near Bray Wyatt's face?

I'll take Drunk Uncle Jericho over this, any day of the week. 

Honestly, I agree with exactly two results last night, Asuka and Kairi winning via green mist and Gable pinning Corbin (even though rollups are trash).  

When the Baron Corbin match is one of the most sensibly booked things on the show, you're in a bad way. 

On 10/7/2019 at 4:01 PM, Preston said:

Honestly, I agree with exactly two results last night, Asuka and Kairi winning via green mist and Gable pinning Corbin (even though rollups are trash).  

When the Baron Corbin match is one of the most sensibly booked things on the show, you're in a bad way. 

He beat up Gable after though. Might as well have won.

I've watched AEW Dark and NWA Powerrr both this week. A one hour free wrestling show a week on Youtube is awesome and that's what I'm going to be doing until I can figure out watching the AEW TV show. too.

The NWA show was super old school, and I really liked it. The AEW one had its moments, but felt kind of flat by the end.

6 hours ago, The Master said:

My most favorite thing about NWA Powerrr was having the guys promo at the podium, then walk two feet to the ring. No ramp or pyro -- just talking and fighting.

Yeah, very reminiscent of the Crocket Promotions stuff (I think) on my best of Ric Flair DVD set. Like, completely lifted from it. I'm sure its existence gives Jim Cornette a constant hard-on.

Shudders at the thought!

Right now, I am actively turned off of WWE's main product. While I like some of the workers (Lynch, Ricochet, Joe), there's no big draw. I couldn't give two shits about Brock and Velasquez or Braun and Fury. The draft means nothing to me because the Wild Card rule made it so I didn't know who belonged where to begin with.

Conversely, AEW is starting to get its hooks into me, and I absolutely adore NXT.

Money.  They sure like that TV money.

Also, it has been rumored for months that WWE is trying to get a 3rd hour for Smackdown.  However given the structure of FOX, it would have to go onto FS1, which is stupid. 

19 hours ago, Dread said:

The NWA show was super old school, and I really liked it. The AEW one had its moments, but felt kind of flat by the end.

The end of AEW Dark was around the 3.5-4 hour mark for the live crowd.  It was noticeable.