'Ghostbusters 3' offically announced.

badwolf

'Who you gonna call? Columbia Pictures has apparently heard the fans call for a third film in the horror-comedy franchise GHOSTBUSTERS as they have finally, finally set the long-gestured sequel in motion. Even though a script is being written with the intent of bringing back all four original busters, the article reports that reaching an agreement is still going to be a factor. Read on for the story and watch for updates as soon as a draft of the screenplay is delivered.

Columbia Pictures is getting serious about scaring up a new installment of its blockbuster "Ghostbusters" franchise.

The studio has set "The Office" co-exec producers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky to write a script for a film designed to bring back together the original cast of Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson.

Studio would not comment on the development and has been mum on recent rumors that there was interest in making another installment of the franchise.

The scribes just wrote "Year One," a comedy that was directed by Ramis. Ramis with Aykroyd wrote the first two installments of the films. Ivan Reitman directed both the 1984 original and the sequel that was released in 1989. The close proximity between the writers and original Ghostbuster Ramis is evidence that the ghost chasers have sparked to the idea of returning.

"Ghostbusters" was Columbia's highest grossing film ever, until it was beaten by "Men in Black" and then "Spider-Man." An attempt to make a third installment of the franchise was stymied in the dealmaking stage. Sources said so much gross was pledged to the participants that it was next to impossible for the studio to make any money on a third installment.

No deals will be made with the original cast until the script is ready, but the gross percentage will certainly be an issue. Sony has a standing policy not to allow more than 25% of first dollar gross out the door.

The scribes, who are Emmy- nominated for their work on "The Office," just set up another picture at Columbia, selling their spec script "Bad Teacher" to the studio for Jimmy Miller to produce.'

Source

I'm not sure if we should believe it. For now I think we should all take this with a grain of salt. Getting Bill Murray to commit to a live action movie is like asking Eddie Murphy to stop making comedies.

Chicago Tribune's Pop Machine received an e-mail from Ramis explaining the situation:

"yes, columbia is developing a script for GB3 with my [Year One] writing partners, gene stupnitsky and lee eisenberg. judd apatow is co-producing [Year One] and has made several other films for sony, so of course the studio is hoping to tap into some of the same acting talent. aykroyd, ivan reitman and i are consulting at this point, and according to dan, bill murray is willing to be involved on some level. he did record his dialogue for the new ghostbusters video game, as did danny and i, and ernie hudson. the concept is that the old ghostbusters would appear in the film in some mentor capacity.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=48597

• 4 weeks later...

Bill Murray on why the third movie never happened:

"We did a sequel, and it was sort of rather unsatisfying for me, because the first one to me was the goods," Murray said. "It was the real thing. And the sequel, you know, was ... it was a few years later. There was an idea pitched. And it was like, well, they got us all together in a room. We just laughed for a couple of hours. And then they said, 'What if we did another one? Here's an idea.'"

Murray added, "So they had this idea, but it didn't turn out to be the idea when I arrived on the set. They'd written a whole different movie than the one [initially discussed]. And the special-effects guys got it and got their hands on it. And it was just not the same movie. There were a few great scenes in it, but it wasn't the same movie. So there's never been an interest in a third Ghostbusters because the second one was kind of disappointing ... for me, anyway."

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38628

He feels he was duped into making a movie he didn't like and held a grudge for a long time.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
In Boston to promote a new House of Blues, Dan Aykroyd answered some online questions for the Boston Globe - as is typical, the first question asked was about Ghostbusters 3

[Comment From Tom] Dan, I'm extremely excited for the HOB to be back in its birth-city!! I will be attending many shows. On a side note, and I'm sure you get these questions a lot, so I apologize in advance…Ghostbusters 3? I've heard that the writers of the Office are currently penning a script? How is this coming along, and should we look forward to this movie seeing the light of day? Thanks Dan!

Dan Aykroyd: Script is commenced early summer. Hope to be in production by late fall 2009

What's it mean? Well, it doesn't mean a Ghostbusters 3 is a sure thing. It means that if all goes well, the script commissioned last year will hopefully get the green light by around June, and if that happens, then hopefully the movie will go into production in the Fall. So, excellent to hear Dan is still pushing forward with the film, but it's still not a done deal yet.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40204

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Ramis promised that all the old core players will take part in the updated version, including Bill Murray (Dr. Peter Venkman) and Dan Aykroyd (Dr. Raymond Stantz), who co-wrote the original films. "We're all going to be in it in different kinds of roles," Ramis said. "We're going to be the sage mentors. There are going to be young Ghostbusters."

At the moment, Ramis is waiting on a first draft of the script, which is being penned by Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky, two writer/producers on "The Office," who also wrote "Year One." "Gene and Lee, both of whom I mentored, are now writing the new 'Ghostbusters,' " Ramis said. "I'm consulting with them, as is Dan Aykroyd and [original director] Ivan Reitman.

"Bill Murray is just waiting for the truckload of money to arrive to get him out of his office," Ramis joked.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40592