Waiting for the Trade suggestion thread

Missy

Use this thread to suggest trades and hardcovers Tom and Chris should review during the Waiting for the Trade segment of Earth-2.net: The Show. Remember, you can suggest collections that are already on the shelf, or ones that are forthcoming.

Edited by The Master
New hosts

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Delete this if it is not what you meant, but why don't you review the Batman R.I.P trade when it comes out?

I know it's not till January, but I would like to hear you try and explain what the hell was going on.

That's precisely what we meant. :happy:

Here's the suggestions thus far:

Spider-man loves Mary Jane

Criminal

Alias

Sleeper

Batman R.I.P

Anita Blake - Vampire Hunter :devil:

Walking Dead

Chuck Dixion's Nightwing

The X-Cutioner's Song

Fatal Attractions

True Story, Swear To God Archives Vol. 1

Marvel Apes

Omega: The Unknown

Fables, Vol 3: Storybook Love

You two do realize you might actually have to cover some of these books, right?

• 4 weeks later...
Sinestro. Corps. War.

Hell. Yeah. I. Concour.

As do I, although Mike and Dan might want to wait for the soft covers, given how long it is.

Flash: The Return of Barry Allen by Mark Waid and Greg Larocque

JLA: New World Order by Grant Morrison or Howard Porter

Doctor 13: Architecture & Morality by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang. A father/daughter pair of paranormal investigators team up with a child prodigy, a french caveboy, assorted ghosts, a futuristic alien and a vampire to confront Nazis, Geoff Johns, Mark Waid, Greg Rucka and Grant Morrison. Be warned: It gets a little trippy.

Leave it to Chance: Shaman's Rain by James Robinson and Paul Smith. Kolchak: the Night Stalker meets Nancy Drew. A nice all ages book.

Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? The end of Superman, as told by Alan Moore and Curt Swan.

Legion of Super-Heroes: The Great Darkness Saga by Paul Levitz and Keith Giffen. Still can't believe the cartoon never adapted this.

Aquaman: Tide and Time by Peter David and Kirk Jarvien and Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis: Once and Future by Kurt Busiek and Butch Guice

Spider-Man Visionaries: Kurt Busiek Some of the best Spidey stories since Gerry Conway left the book.

The Brave and Bold: Lords of Luck by Mark Waid and George Perez. Soft cover's coming in December.

Superman: Up, Up and Away Written by Geoff Johns and Kurt Busiek, Art by Pete Woods and Renalto Guedes. Launched the current Geoff Johns run and features probably the best use of Clark Kent in years.

Blue Beetle Vol 2, 3 or 4. Written by John Rogers and Keith Giffen, Art by Cully Hamner, Rafael Albuqerque and various others. During the Rogers run this was DC's most consistently enjoyable super hero book. Jamie Reyes is a great character, reminiscent of Kyle Rayner. They're both likeable everymen who find themselves in way over their heads. The book's got a fantastic supporting cast, laugh out loud funny dialogue, and the most creative alien conquest plot I've ever seen. And as my signature shows (assuming I used that control panel properly) Ted Kord's legacy is treated with a great deal of respect. Jamie actually starts studying Ted's old battle strategies. As the series continues he uses what he learns to defeat his villains, often admonishing himself to "think like Ted Kord." One story has a throwaway panel showing a WWTKD (What Would Ted Kord Do?) sign in Jamie's room. We even get a return appearance by Ted's Bug and a JLI reunion at one point. I love Ted and I hope he comes back someday, but until then Jamie's a great consolation prize. There's a reason this is the longest running BB series since the golden age.

The only problem is I'm not sure which Volume to recommend. The first is pretty weak and while it introduces the characters, probably isn't the best place to start if you want a good read. Things pick up a lot with Vol. 2 with a fun New Gods arc but the Ted Kord elements don't appear until Vol. 3. However, because the original series wasn't written for the trade this volume might come off as a little disjointed. Vol. 4 is the best but it's also the climax of the run and I'm not sure if it'll have the same impact if you aren't familiar with the cast. Vol 4 also has a Sinestro Corps crossover that as far as I can tell isn't collected anywhere else. Like I said, I honestly can't pick one volume to suggest but I can't recommend this series enough.

Yikes! that list turned out longer than I expected. Sorry if it's too much. I'm really digging this segment and can't wait til the Formerly Known as the Justice League and Batman and the Outsiders reviews.

Whilst I like the humorous music for the show its got to run out sooner or later. Why not get a theme like Is it Wednesday yet? I suggest the following lyrics to the Top Gun soundtrack song "Playing with the boys" by Kenny Loggins (from the "moving in slow motion" line)

Paying for single issues

Costs too much

If you can stand anticipation

Six issues reads so good

Plotlines working overtime

Its page after page

And all that ever matters

Is what Mike and Dan decide

Discussion is the name of the game

Waiting, waiting for the trade

Waiting, waiting for the trade

They read three books every week

And give each one a grade

Waiting for the trade

God I'm at a loose end this evening

Whilst I like the humorous music for the show its got to run out sooner or later. Why not get a theme like Is it Wednesday yet?

An official Waiting for the Trade theme is forthcoming, but it's slow going thanks to CPT: Canadian People's Time.

Great lyrics, by the way.