Waiting for the Trade suggestion thread

Missy

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you guys just reviewed Formerly Known as the Justice League, I suppose there's little chance of you doing Justice League: A New Beginning. I'd still suggest that, though, simply because of the single greatest moment in comics history.

INT_JLI_punch.jpg

That's what I'm saying!

Since you guys just reviewed Formerly Known as the Justice League, I suppose there's little chance of you doing Justice League: A New Beginning.

Though it would finally give me an excuse to read those issues, I don't see us getting to it soon. But I could see it being reviewed somewhere down the line.

Whilst I like the humorous music for the show its got to run out sooner or later. Why not get a theme like Is it Wednesday yet?

An official Waiting for the Trade theme is forthcoming, but it's slow going thanks to CPT: Canadian People's Time.

I blow my voice out trying to record a theme and this is the thanks I get!

It's forthcoming but the man on mooseback in the fur-lined coat hasn't delivered my letter stating the due date yet...eh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read the Walking Dead will be covered--I strongly agree! I have never been this interested in comics since...ever. Honestly! On top of that, my local store only gets about 2/3 of the issues (even though it's on my pull list and I know several others'). Walking Dead Volume 1: Days Gone By. OK, I love Kirkman, but not so much for Marvel Zombies 2 and his "guidance" on Zombies 3. Invincible is slipping a little, I think. Still, I grew up in Kentucky (from 12-17) and Atlanta (from 1 1/2 to 11 and where my parents have a vacation home), so making things fairly local just ups TWD for me. That and I escaped Kentucky after college, and Kirkman lives in a semi-small town called Richmond, where I went to middle school (shudder). I'm not offended by any of his characterizations of the south--I've seen some pretty weird shit in my time, and the Zombie games in Woodbury wouldn't surprise me.

OK, enough zombie gushing, pun intended. As a little different thread, maybe even reviewing one of the Essential or Showcase books? Not all of the titles in them, but maybe the first six issues in one Essential. It also gives an opportunity for those not on the boards to listen to what the Essentials and Showcases are, and the pros (cheap! and things you can find) and cons (newspaper, but still awesome for 24 or so issues for less than $20, and available almost everyone, including most bookstores). Plus, since they started these in 2000 (or 2001?) they keep going and expanding, plus now in the Essential X-Men they are adding some crossover comics, something we can't get on the CD ROM (which I also love). But it also gives you guys a chance to say where books are in a historical time line and whether they are considered good, top of the game, or just plain awful at the time, compared to later or earlier runs (both Mike's and Dan's opinion plus a general feeling from the comics community).

One more suggestion (and first of all, not criticizing the selections so far--they are great! I just doubt you could get to review all the TPBs you ever wanted even if it were once a day--which would be exhausting even without a job): Maybe 100 Bullets Volume 1: First Shot, Last Call? I know it's Vertigo, but not Brian Wood (who I agree sounds like a complete ass from all the interviews and Mike's and Jenny's tapings), so maybe??? Sorry, I've just been reading all of the current trades for 100 Bullets in the last two days (1-7 so far and 8 hopefully tonight, then finish 9-12 tomorrow). It's the only TPB that I have started taking notes on for a good reason (instead of just trying to figure out a horrible story line)--just picking up hints of the family names and the Minutemen nicknames that I can match up. I think this is certainly my 3rd and probably my 4th time around (every time a new TPB gets released I reread the story since the tone changes in the past and you can see hints dropped when new reveals occur).

So, after my spiel, I guess I'm interested in order:

100 Bullets Volume 1: First Shot, Last Call (so Mike and Dan don't have to try and reread the whole back history)

Walking Dead (I would have it first, but others have spoken in favor of that, and you mentioned you a probably going to cover it later)

Any type of Essential or Showcase, even part of one--Say Wolverine Essential #1--just to get a chance to talk about another way to read TPBs from the 60s-90s for a casual fan to get into without spending too much money (even though there's no color--another reason to buy back-issues if the story interests you so much).

Thanks so much guys and keep it up!!! You have a wide, appreciative audience, from both Waiting for the Trades, Is it Tuesday Yet?, and other fun Earth-2 reviews with Mike and Jenny and Ian and Des and Dan and everyone else--not even including the awesome spin-offs (WFP led me into Earth-2.net in the first place). I guess my point is, with all the programs and spin-offs, I'm actually more interested in the shows than most new comic releases!

Thanks!

Derek

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Are people still using this thread and are you guys still looking at it? Why has it stayed at the top? The last post was in April.

Anyway, I would love it if you guys reviewed Secret Six: Unhinged when it comes out. I am recommending this because I have fallen in love with this series thanks to the Earth-2.net Forums.