The Apple Inc. Thread

Guest TFG1Mike

Ok, so what iPhone apps do people have as their must haves, can't live without. I'm slowly adding to my collection.

Yoda, when can I download the earth-2.net app :)

After the earth-2 staff page and the FYEO merchandise appears - he promised!! :cry:

I have a Nokia phone so the only apps I can get are via Ovi. And I can't tell the difference between widgets and apps, so I mainly leave well alone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve Wozniak, simply known as “Woz” in most computer circles, has said in a recent interview that he would return to Apple if asked. There is no indication that such an invitation is close to happening, but he is open to the concept.

Source

It would be very interesting if he returned, and to see Apple change to a more open company. But what does that entail? Computers with parts that are more easily replaceable? Software that can be installed on non Apple computers? Or something as simple as iOS opening up to more developers to work on the software itself instead of just apps. Or will he not come back at all? Only time will tell.

Someone needs to start thinking about a post Jobs Apple, because they aren't doing it themselves.

ref_05cook.jpg

In his letter to the employees today, Mr. Jobs stated that he would remain as CEO and handle major strategic decisions, but the day to day operations would be turned over to the company’s COO, Tim Cook. Mr. Cook has assumed the role before during Jobs’ 2004 bout with pancreatic cancer, and again in 2009 when he underwent a liver transplant. Some even speculate that he actually handles the majority of the daily load at Apple already while Mr. Jobs focuses on the larger issues and working with Jonathan Ive on their award winning designs for products.

While Mr. Cook is certainly qualified to take the position from a business standpoint, he does lack the natural charisma that Steve Jobs exudes. Say what you will about Apple and its products, but there is no denying that a key factor to the company’s success is Mr. Jobs’ ability to work up a crowd at his notoriously popular press events. Mr. Cook is capable of making the presentations, but he does lack that “wow” factor we’ve come to expect from Apple employees up on a stage.

Source

I think Apple probably have a good idea of what they will look like post Jobs, they just don't want to release all their succession planning, in case it makes those people a target of their competitors. Jobs is/was a once in a lifetime entrepreneur, they have to accept they can't replace him and picture how the company should present itself without him. Will the launches still be a massive draw without Jobs? Is the brand just as much Jobs as it is Apple? And if not, how do they convince people it isn't without damaging the Jobs legacy.

It's going to be a tough time for the board once Jobs isn't there I think.

• 4 weeks later...

That's not an Apple thing, that's a Foxconn thing. Foxconn is basically the worst corporation in the world, but they're also the world's largest electronics manufacturer.

Besides Apple, they also make products for Nintendo, Sony, HP, Nokia, Microsoft, Intel, and Samsung.

Company's have a choice on who they chose to supply parts and services from. I agree it's not just Apple, but as a business owner of a company that imports products from China I can tell you that you have a choice. In fact any work we do for Coke, Nike, etc, has to come with an audit of our factories.

Especially a company like this, that isn't providing patented technology, purely labour. It's like the Banksy opening scene of the Simpsons, as long as the product is good enough, we can turn a blind eye to human rights violations. Which we do on a daily basis globally, but to say we need to turn a blind eye to these things so we can check Facebook while out and about is just screwed up.

Once again, not having a go at only Apple, but all companies that use them. Why is it that IT companies get away with this, but Nike had to clean up their act ages ago?

Why is it that IT companies get away with this, but Nike had to clean up their act ages ago?

Probably because somebody unfairly singled Nike out of the pack, much like people are doing with Apple now.

Or more likely, since Nike are one of the biggest sports shoe maker in the world, they would have more people wanted to take them down. I think it's the exact same reason Apple have been singled out, as, at the moment, they sell the biggest amounts of Kindles/phones/MP3 players worldwide.

Yes, poor Nike and Apple. They're the real victims here.

Yeah, I can't believe people are going after them, just because a few Asians kill themselves. Also, I had to fire my chair made out of pregnant Mexican Immigrants.

Yes, poor Nike and Apple. They're the real victims here.

Yeah, I can't believe people are going after them, just because a few Asians kill themselves. Also, I had to fire my chair made out of pregnant Mexican Immigrants.

I love how my comment on why I think Apple and Nike are being attacked over other companies is being interpreted as me justifying their actions. :P

• 4 weeks later...
Apple announced in a press release that it will be taking the wraps off of a new offering, iCloud, at the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) on Monday, June 6.

Apple will also be showing off new software for its Mac computers and iOS devices. Apple wrote the company will "unveil its next generation software - Lion, the eighth major release of Mac OS X; iOS 5, the next version of Apple’s advanced mobile operating system which powers the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch; and iCloud, Apple’s upcoming cloud services offering."

The company also confirmed that Apple CEO Steve Jobs, who has been on medical leave, will be among the "team of Apple executives" that will "kick off" WWDC.

Apple offered few details on what iCloud will look like, though there have been plenty of rumors. The company has reportedly finalized licensing deals with the music industry's top record labels, including EMI Music, Warner Music, Sony Music and Universal Music.

The music service could enable users to store their music in the "cloud," on remote servers, rather than by downloading tracks and storing them on separate devices.

BusinessWeek offers more information on the features iCloud could offer:

Armed with licenses from the music labels and publishers, Apple will be able to scan customers' digital music libraries in iTunes and quickly mirror their collections on its own servers, say three people briefed on the talks. If the sound quality of a particular song on a user's hard drive isn't good enough, Apple will be able to replace it with a higher-quality version. Users of the service will then be able to stream, whenever they want, their songs and albums directly to PCs, iPhones, iPads, and perhaps one day even cars. And the music industry gets a chance at the next best thing after selling shrink-wrapped CDs: monthly subscription fees, à la Netflix (NFLX) and the cable companies.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/31/apple-icloud-announcement-wwdc-2011_n_868950.html

This cloud trend needs to go away. I want my music to work when there is no internet.

Fucking oath. And you know the other thing about electronic music, not sleeves. I know I'm old and grumpy, but I like looking at who wrote the songs, lyrics, music, produced, etc. We don't have that with downloads.

That said, I just signed up my work emails to a cloud based system instead of a local server based one....

• 2 weeks later...
Apple unveiled its new mobile operating system, iOS 5, this Monday at the Worldwide Developer's Conference to much fanfare. But some are now saying that one of the OS's key new features, Wi-Fi Sync, which allows users to synchronize the contents of their music libraries without having to plug their devices into computers, was largely based on an app submitted to Apple months before.

Greg Hughes, a college student in the U.K., submitted an app called Wi-Fi Sync to the Apple Store in May 2010. The app let users access their iTunes libraries wirelessly, without docking a portable device to a computer, reports The Register. Sound familiar?

Hughes was rejected from the store, but not with a standard form email. Instead, an Apple rep personally called him to let him know that the app did not meet certain security standards and would not be allowed in. He also asked that Hughes send along a resume.

Undeterred, Hughes began to sell the app in the Cydia store, which peddles apps for jailbroken iPhones, at the price of $9.99 a pop. Since then, it's sold over 50,000 copies.

Apple's own Wi-Fi Sync feature, a part of the upcoming iOS 5 mobile system, not only performs the same function as Hughes' rejected app, but even has a strikingly similar logo (see here).

“Obviously I was fairly shocked,” Hughes told The Register. "I'd been selling my app with that name and icon for at least a year. Apple knew that, as I'd submitted it to them, so it was surprising to see that.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/09/apple-wi-fi-sync_n_873960.html

• 1 month later...

The music service could enable users to store their music in the "cloud," on remote servers, rather than by downloading tracks and storing them on separate devices.

Armed with licenses from the music labels and publishers, Apple will be able to scan customers' digital music libraries in iTunes and quickly mirror their collections on its own servers, say three people briefed on the talks.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/31/apple-icloud-announcement-wwdc-2011_n_868950.html

This cloud trend needs to go away. I want my music to work when there is no internet.

Music purchased on my computer would also be available on my computer offline. The idea of the cloud is you don't need to sync everything at once, you can grab as you need. You can still sync data your self.

It also fully integrates with Twitter, but not Facebook, which is an interesting move. Must be because Facebook is launching their own phone, which makes them a competitor....

Twitter received full integration opposed to Facebook because Apple and Facebook had a dispute over "Ping" which originally included Facebook integration. The "facebook phone" is in no way a competitor to the iPhone.

Sorry for the late response :blush:

• 3 weeks later...
Stanley Kubrick, not Apple, designed the iPad, Samsung says in a bizarre patent defence that cites 2001: A Space Odyssey as an argument for why its copycat tablet shouldn't be pulled from sale in the US...................

Kubrick designed the iPad not Jobs

I want this case by Samsung to win, not because I'm anti Apple, but because it would be awesome for science fiction to be a valid defence to prior design!