The Apple Inc. Thread

Guest TFG1Mike

Apple was/is basically the leader of it all, though. Without iTunes setting the standard, music downloads wouldn't be anywhere near as good, and without iPods, we wouldn't have the MP3 player craze. Without the iPhone, American and European phone companies wouldn't have been force to actually make high-quality products like Japan has had for years.

Sure, other companies do a lot of the same things Apple does, but they do it because they're following Apple's example.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been a major Apple guy, but the man clearly changed the shape of the world and I absolutely can't deny that.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Don't think he did anything special for the PC world? Fine, lets look at animation. What's that, it wasn't him, but the team he had. Ok maybe fair point. Let's look at how we listen to music. What's that, he didn't invent mp3 players, he just made them pretty. Ok you got me, let's look at the mobile phones....

The point is, even if you don't want to give the man credit for inventing any new technology, it doesn't matter. He knew what was important, how to make new technology easy to use. Computers, portable music, phones all these industries are better because of this guy. One is lucky, two might be riding your own coat tails, but to totally revolutionise 3 or 4 different parts of the world is an amazing achievement.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, I'm going to start saving to replace my desktop with an iMac, and wondered if someone could let me know the pros and cons of owning an iMac, besides the upfront costs? Is it worth the money, and what should I know before I get started.

I'm also going to buy a terabyte external hard drive when I get the Mac, so would anyone tell me things I should know involving this, as I have a friend, who is able to copy files from my current external hard drive to his macbook, but he can't transfer stuff from his mac, to my hard drive.

It's worth it, yeah. The only (and I do mean only) drawback I've had with owning my mac is the fact that it can't run a good portion of PC games. A lot of them, however, I have gotten to work through various kinds of trickery, but there's still quite a few that I can't play. But since most of what I do is net browsing, blogging, photoshop work, and video editing, I'm very glad I own a mac. Also, iTunes runs brilliantly on macs, and there's a few little tricks for iPods and iPhones (like custom ringtones) that you can normally only do on macs. If and when you get yours, I can write you up a how-to/to-do list as far as important programs to download and settings to calibrate properly. The Apple website already has a very extensive video guide for former PC owners switching to macs, but they leave a few things out.

The external drive is a good idea; I've been looking into getting one myself. Western Digital makes some ext-drives that are supposed to be great for macs; lemme see if I can find a link to one...

Here ya go.

It's worth it, yeah. The only (and I do mean only) drawback I've had with owning my mac is the fact that it can't run a good portion of PC games. A lot of them, however, I have gotten to work through various kinds of trickery, but there's still quite a few that I can't play. But since most of what I do is net browsing, blogging, photoshop work, and video editing, I'm very glad I own a mac. Also, iTunes runs brilliantly on macs, and there's a few little tricks for iPods and iPhones (like custom ringtones) that you can normally only do on macs. If and when you get yours, I can write you up a how-to/to-do list as far as important programs to download and settings to calibrate properly. The Apple website already has a very extensive video guide for former PC owners switching to macs, but they leave a few things out.

The external drive is a good idea; I've been looking into getting one myself. Western Digital makes some ext-drives that are supposed to be great for macs; lemme see if I can find a link to one...

Here ya go.

I tried to get into PC gaming a few years back, and I found that it just wasn't for me. So I guess that's the one draw back taken away :P

I am interested in everything you said, like some video editing, and stuff, my only drawback is, I have a small laptop right now, and I want to use that on the move, to edit written documents and other things, and I'm wondering how hard it is to make sure the files work on both PC and Mac. (It's probably simple, but I know next to nothing about technology) I've also just added the hard drive to my amazon wishlist, and the UK version of it, is actually at a very reasonable price, so I'll need to look into that.

One more question, how do you get some PC games to work on your Mac? Not for me, one of my friends, who is a PC gamer, recently got a Macbook pro, and he's a big fan of games like Sim City, and city creation games, so how would he get them to run on his Mac?

Thanks for your help, Kdubs!

You can get Microsoft Office for the Mac (that's what I use), or, alternately, there are free programs you can use like OpenOffice.

Getting PC games to run on Macs can be difficult; basically what you do is use a program called Wineskin to create "wrappers" for an installed game, thus making it think that it's in a Windows environment when it's actually a bunch of Windows folders inside a package file on a Mac. It's actually a Linux-based thing, but since Max OS X is based on Unix, it works pretty much the same. It can get very very complicated sometimes, and the best way to figure it out is to google-search for "[game title] wine" and see what other people have cooked up. Often times people have already made games work and all you need to do is follow their directions or download the wrappers they've already made. A few games, like Star Trek Online, actually officially support people using Wineskin to run their games on Macs.

It's also worth noting that there are plenty of games that run on Macs anyway. Games like The Sims series, Starcraft II, and World of Warcraft are actually designed to run on both. There's also Mac versions of plenty of other games out there, including Halo 1 (which I find deliciously ironic).

• 1 month later...

So, I took the plunge, sold some old figures/comics/trades and saved a lot of money, to finally buy a 21.5 inch iMac. I also picked up a wireless track pad, which took a minute to get used to, and now, I don't think I can go back to a mouse, and it's only been one day!

So yeah, going to be fun learning how to use a mac, and understand how to use Garageband and other stuff on a Mac.

• 1 month later...

440x330-ipod-nano6gen-front.jpg

Just got an ipod Nano. Finally figured that the reason I go through so many sets of headphones is that I hook them up to my ipod classic, which is a heavy beast. Hence when the cord gets pulled it either bends the connection to the pin or plain yanks the pin out. I'm hoping that doesn't happen with the new player since it's very light. Considered an ipod shuffle but in the end I couldn't handle having something with no screen, it's a speed and ease of use issue. Plus this one I can carry around easily, between my wallet, my classic or Touch and my blackberry my pockets are way too crowded.

Plus adding this device to my portfolio increases the life of my other devices by a few years, since I'll still use them.They just become portable archives instead of things for everyday use.

While I my Touch was broken I was using a Nano. I will admit, the smaller size (and weight) was surprisingly helpful. However, I recently started to get very annoyed at not being able to have my entire music library on it. If I am stuck at work and say, Prince gets stuck in my head, I want to be able to listen to the Purple Rain soundtrack. So glad that I have a working Touch back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Weird. I've been using my iPhone to download podcasts for years and that's never happened. In any case, I do like the idea of streamlining the podcast experience. Too many casual users constantly complain about how iTunes' handling of podcasts is confusing when it really should be the easiest thing in the world.