Deadpool

JackFetch

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Though he was promoting the Kickstarter for The Goon film, Tim Miller, the director for the proposed Deadpool movie, took a few minutes to talk about the progress on the movie....

"We've turned in an amazing script and done some early tests and visual development that--I'm confident--would get the fans stoked. And Ryan still loves the project. So it's really up to Fox as to whether or not the film happens--all I can do is hope (and beg periodically) that it be allowed to move ahead."

Those early tests he speaks about were the last thing we heard about the film. All that is known is that Miller will direct the film from a script by Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick with Ryan Reynolds set to return as the Merc with a Mouth.

He's still kicking that horse, but is it still breathing?

Wait, why is FOX the ones behind it? They also have the rights to Deadpool?

Oh, come on, Marvel, did you just make a "buy your rights to our beloved character here" booth and handed it to every single movie exec that passed by? I wouldn't be surprised if, suddenly, Shyamalan announces he's making a Doctor Strange movie. And guess who's playing Doctor Strangeee?

They sold the rights to the X-Men franchise before it was financially viable for them to make movies themselves.

I know that. Just didn't know Deadpool was included in the X-Men franchise.

Also, that's kinda stupid: an entire franchise. What if the Spider-Man movies sucked balls? Marvel would be so screwed, since they sold the rights to the entire Spider-Man franchise, which as far as I know, includes a huge bunch of characters.

They sold the rights to the X-Men franchise before it was financially viable for them to make movies themselves.

I know that. Just didn't know Deadpool was included in the X-Men franchise.

He is, as shown by X-Men Origins Wolverine. But if you've never seen that, save yourself the trouble - it's an awful film.

Also, that's kinda stupid: an entire franchise. What if the Spider-Man movies sucked balls? Marvel would be so screwed, since they sold the rights to the entire Spider-Man franchise, which as far as I know, includes a huge bunch of characters.

It's not as though Marvel don't make money from the X-Men/Spider-Man films, just not as much Fox/Sony do. Sure, if you like the notion of the entire Marvel Universe under one film-making roof, it's going to be aggravating for you (particularly when you consider the vast scope of the X-Universe and Spider-Man's supporting cast). But bear in mind that the current purple patch for Marvel films wasn't something that the company could have foretold 12-15 years ago, nor that Marvel are now essentially bankrolled by Disney.

I think that the project-sharing deal is actually good for Marvel, gets them money and visibility without risk to themselves whilst they bankroll their main Avengers films. Until Disney they didn't have the cash to make many films and so this arrangement actually gives us more marvel films per year than would happen if they were all made by Marvel.

I honestly don't care that much if Wolverine and Iron Man meet up. Yes it'd be cool but frankly the avengers stuff is complicated enough for most audiences. I've met people who watch all these films and don't know why we can't get a Superman/Thor movie.

I've given up on trying to keep track of who has the right to what, in relation to Marvel films, and just enjoy the films for what they are, and not delve deeper. If they want to have continuity between the films, great, but I've pretty much given up on trying to work out why Dr Doom can never really fight Iron Man on the big screen.

I think that the project-sharing deal is actually good for Marvel, gets them money and visibility without risk to themselves whilst they bankroll their main Avengers films. Until Disney they didn't have the cash to make many films and so this arrangement actually gives us more marvel films per year than would happen if they were all made by Marvel.

I honestly don't care that much if Wolverine and Iron Man meet up. Yes it'd be cool but frankly the avengers stuff is complicated enough for most audiences. I've met people who watch all these films and don't know why we can't get a Superman/Thor movie.

Shitty movies based on Marvel properties can devalue the brand.

Considering that The Amazing Spider-Man made over $700 million worldwide, apparently not.

Was The Amazing Spider-Man shitty or just kind of forgettable and unnecessary?

That's not to say there aren't some pretty notable examples of crappy superhero movies making money (*cough* Wolverine *cough*) but I thought the general opinion of the new Spider-Man flick was still fairly positive.

Shitty movies based on Marvel properties can devalue the brand.

But has the Spider-man and X-men brand's various failings (their respective third movies, Wolverine etc) actually hurt those franchises? Not much it appears, and they certainly haven't hurt their main Avengers films.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...