Catwoman has grossed more than The Punisher?!

Missy

The Punisher

Domestic: $33,781,011

+ Overseas: $17,817,152

= Worldwide: $51,598,163

Catwoman

Domestic: $39,165,608

+ Overseas: $15,500,000

= Worldwide: $54,665,608

The bulk of the $3 million+ difference seems to come from the opening weekend numbers. Catwoman grossed nearly $3 million more during its debut than The Punisher.

Now I understand that a lot of people downright disliked The Punisher. However, no one I know has even seen Catwoman, and the reviews I've read have bashed it to Hell! There are only two reasons I can fathom for Catwoman's better numbers:

01. It was a summer release, and summer action films always gross more than their spring counterparts.

02. Halle Berry in the skimpy, leather costume.

The Punisher

Domestic: $33,781,011

+ Overseas: $17,817,152

= Worldwide: $51,598,163

Catwoman

Domestic: $39,165,608

+ Overseas: $15,500,000

= Worldwide: $54,665,608

I think summer vs. spring release is a big part of it. Also consider the advertising for Catwoman and the name ID of Halle Berry.

Here's the next question: How much was the budget for Catwoman vs. Punisher? We know Catwoman lost a ton of money, but what about Punisher?

Here's the next question: How much was the budget for Catwoman vs. Punisher? We know Catwoman lost a ton of money, but what about Punisher?

Good question. Let me check...

Punisher:

Production: $33 million

+ Marketing: $20 million

= $55 million

Catwoman:

Production: $100 million

+ Marketing: $35 million

= $135 million

So neither broke even, but The Punisher will at least make money after the release of the DVD (September 7).

Personally, that's why I'll see it. I want to review it for the site too (no matter how bad it is), but it looks like I'm going to have to wait until it hits second-run theaters.

Ditto. That's the ONLY reason I would have seen it--just to see how fucking awful it is.

Actually, that isn't totally fair. Punisher hasn't been released in Europe, at least not in the Uk/Ireland region anyway.

Really? I didn't know that. Surprising, since the DVD is set for release in two weeks.

It's true. I went to the cinema the other night, and the Punisher poster was on 'coming soon'.

It's true. I went to the cinema the other night, and the Punisher poster was on 'coming soon'.

What the Hell is up with that? You've received Catwoman, right?

Yes. And Hellboy comes out soon as well.

Man! You still haven't gotten Hellboy yet either?

Those who went to see it just for Halle are going to be seriously dissapointed, her stunt double is a man.

That is excellent. A friend of mine won't stop drooling over her in the fight scenes, can't wait to inform him.

Not yet. Let him enjoy the moment (and himself *wink, wink*) a little while longer. Then spring it on the poor guy.

Only 3 mill? Shit, they could have made that in the first week if they hadn't opened against Kill Bill. I still don't get that.

That was terrible move on the part of LGF. Maybe they were hoping comic book fans would be more inclined to see The Punisher over Kill Bill, and then they'd get the people who couldn't see KB when it was sold out. Maybe... I don't know.

Yeah, it was a bad move. Opening two revenge films with a lot of violence, one more anticipated (second half and all), with the same general demographic.

The Punisher was a solid time at the movies though. Nothing groundbreaking, but good. I'd rather watch it again than Kill Bill vol. 1.

The Punisher was a solid time at the movies though. Nothing groundbreaking, but good. I'd rather watch it again than Kill Bill vol. 1.

That's a bold statement. I know KB has its detractors, but no one ever really explains why. So, my new friend, how come you didn't enjoy KBv1?