Episode 266

RSS

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LMFAO!!!!!!

Oh my god, I love this film, but you guys oh my god. Mike is fucking hilarious when he makes his points as to why he hates the film. You guys need to make episodes for all 4 Batman films from the 90's.

As much as I enjoy this film, you guys make a hell of a lot of good points in plot holes, story mistakes and just common sense.

We'll be recording our thoughts about Batman Returns very soon.

:bowdown:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Now that's a movie I can rant on

...Don't just bloody sit there man!

I want to hear this!

Oh and nothing bad can be said about Danny DeVito, the man can do no wrong.

Well DeVito is great in the film, but what I didn't like is this is the first film to show us how much this city morphs and changes its looks. Its constantly feels like its a set we are watching them act on. Also when a made up character(Max)steals the film away from the main villains you got a huge problem.

Not too mention the fact that Pfeiffer and Keaton are great actors, but have NO CHEMISTRY!!

The film never seems to stick too anyone plot and Batman is almost never in it. Hell this is Batman RETURNS, but we see more Bruce than Batman. Oh well, more on that when they review it.

Oh and Caeser Romero's Joker never made me laugh, never made me feel uneasy, even as a child. He never felt dangerous to me. Nicholsen's Joker is NOT Caeser Romero's at all. He's Nicholsen with make up, lol

Final thoughts, when the studio saw the success of batman they wanted Burton to do a sequel so badly, they said it can be a "Tim Burton movie"

Bit early to say this but people blame the failure of batman and Robin on the fact that it was made too soon after forever........I can't believe I had to keep a straight face while I typed that.

Final thoughts, when the studio saw the success of batman they wanted Burton to do a sequel so badly, they said it can be a "Tim Burton movie"

Bit early to say this but people blame the failure of batman and Robin on the fact that it was made too soon after forever........I can't believe I had to keep a straight face while I typed that.

While they did jump the gun when making Batman & Robin, it wasn't its downfall. It's downfall was the studios need to make it "Toy-e-tic" meaning that every shot of the film had to have an element they could make into a toy, than they made it into a campy Batman film, with the 90's look masking it. Than you have the tedious one-liners and Mr Freeze always having an ice pun to everything he says.

Should I go on....?

Guest DCAUFan1051

for me the only saving grace of B&R was Alicia Silverstone in Black n Purple leather as Batgirl!!!!!!!!!

(homer simpson drool)

AliciainBatgirlSuit.jpg

but other then that it sucked!!

• 1 month later...

I can't wait to hear you rip Batman Returns apart but I'm a tad less happy about Batman Forever. Of all the pre-Begins Live Action Bat flicks Forever is my favourite. Yes, yes I know. Two-Face was ALL wrong and Riddler said 'Joygasm' <_< but only Catwoman was even close to being right in the previous film anyway. Also, I like having more Alfred, I'm Grayson fan boy, Kilmer was the best Bruce/Bat Pre-Nolan series (One Mr. Kane would agree ;) ), and just my overall nostalgia of being a 90's child help me stand by that opinion. But don't leave a line, shot or look uncovered for B&R. :devil:

Batman Forever is the definition of a guilty pleasure. Batman & Robin is the definition of....something far worse. Batman Returns is something I don't really know how people react to - ok, you, Mike and the guy who runs Batman on Film all hate the film, but you are but three men! I haven't watched it since last year, but I don't remember coming away hating it.

Now Ian, let's be fair, I never said I hate Returns. I may even say I like it more than '89 which I don't hate either. It's just there is so much wrong with both that I think of them as average films and not good or great ones. Mike on the other hand I'm sure DOES have full hatred of the film.

RE: Mike's position, have a look at the "Things People Like...." thread in the Banter section!

Apologies if I've tarred you with the brush of overt negativity, but I find it hard to believe that both Burton films are somehow lesser than Schumacher's. As I've said, Forever is a guilty pleasure but it's still pretty bad with a number of plotholes - the "red book" bollocks for one thing. Still, if one thing could possibly sway me from this belief, it's a 4 hour recording session with Mike & James.

• 1 year later...

Hey Mike, Just bought both comic book adaptations of batman and batman returns. Both written by Dennis O Neil. Who tries his darndest

to explain some things and make sense of the horrendous script treatment. The entire scene where mimes pop up to create a diversion for bob the goon to take pictures is changed. Oh sure,The joker still has those mimes but Vicki Vale is interviewed by GOTHAM ACTION NEWS and that is where the Joker spots her instead of in a photograph as in the original. Bob the Goon's line "She's datin' some guy named Wayne" is left in, but Bob delivers a note to Vale instead of her just going there. Cops are seen at the "festival". Jack Napier falls int the vat instead of Batman dropping him. I remember Mike said something about where he got the money to throw to citizens? Well, the adaptation shows a panel where someone shouts it's fake! prompting to the shot of a joker dollar. Vicki asks what is it that Batman is throwing at the joker to which he responds "It's what the media will label as a batarang." The police find Batman's costume on top of a passed out Alexander knox while Bruce runs away. Instead of Grissom calling the police, Alicia calls. the exchange between Batman and the thug goes like this:

THUG: Who do you think you are? You don't own the night!

BATMAN: I am the night.

Bob the goon's role is shortened as Joker grabs the gun out of his hand and shoots him point blank. They still keep that "are we going to try to love each other" line. UGHH! The joy buzzer scene is cut. so is Batman fighting the goons in the alley. Batman is shown gassing Vicki Vale. The gun the joker fires at the Batwing has an exploding shell. What I'm basically trying to say is that Dennis O Neil made this movie bearable, but kept some dumb parts in.

• 1 year later...

Its 2012 and I just listened to this episode of World's Finest. It was great!! You guys die a really awesome job discussing the movie both good and bad. I did have a few thoughts but first I wanted to extend this to your listeners. I recently bought a book on my Kindle regarding all the Batman movies ever made and I highly recommend it to your listeners and the readers to this forum. I am not affiliated with the author so here goes and I do apoligize in advance because I did not read all the replies to this episode so I may be sharing what someone else has already posted.

The book is called "Billion Dollar Batman" by Bruce Scivally. It is available in both book and Kindle formats. It has a chapter dealing with all the Batman movies and how the Batman has become a billion dollar industry hence the title. It first goes into the first two Batman movies which were serials in the 1940s, then to Batman 1966 then the Burton Batman's, Joel S. Batman's and the classics Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. I highly recommend this book because it talks about all the details regarding the making of the films, the plot issues in all of the movies and so forth.

Second my thoughts regarding the film Batman (1989). I have to agree with you guys that the movie had a lot of influence on what we now know as the DCAU and I must say that time hasn't been good to this movie because it seems like each time that I watch it more plot holes develop. I also enjoyed your critique on the Vicki Vale character who should have been played so much differently. I truely believe that if Sean Young had played in this film the Vale character would have been a lot different. Kim Basinger was a last minute decision and altough it is difficult to postpone the shooting of a movie just because of one person this is one time that they should have considered it. Young had a lot of baggage personally including issues with actor James Woods in a film that the pair starred in in 1988 but who is to say that Batman 1989 wouldn't have been better with Sean Young as Vicki Vale? The role was built around Young playing the role.

As for the plot I guess I could just rehash everything that you guys discussed but then again what would be the point. In the end the movie is what the movie is. At the time my memories are of me thinking that this is the greatest depiction of Batman ever and maybe it was when compared to anything prior or after until Batman Begins. I still believe that. Beyond that now that we have Batman Begins and The Dark Knight I cannot say for a fact that Michael Keaton is THE Batman. Christian Bale has proven that he is the character although like James Bond every actor plays the same character slightly different and that is the fact. Great job on this one! Sorry it took me years and years to finally listen but I did enjoy it.

I may have said it in that episode, but I've only ever seen Sean Young in the original Ace Ventura film, so I don't know a lot about her. That being said, I don't see how she could have been any worse than Kim Basinger. As I'm almost certain I said in that episode, Kim Basinger was, at the time, bonking producer Jon Peters - that genius who devised the inclusion of the bell tower, unbenownst to the cast and director.

Don't worry about it being 3 1/2 years later! For better or worse, once our output is out there, it stays out there for as long as Mike can pay to host the episodes! I still listen back to the Batman review episodes from time to time (Returns the least, either 66 or Batman & Robin the most) and get a kick out of them!

Sean Young is completely batshit insane and can be incredibly entertaining from time to time. However, in 1989, she was GORGEOUS and, while not Oscar caliber by ANY stretch of the imagination, would have been a thousand times better than Basinger.