Episode 37

RSS

By the way, he has the flirting with Babs, takes Rocky to dinner, dates Kathy, then chases Selina around the town in Chase Me. Kind of taking that playboy role to the limits on this disk, isn't he?

Barbara flirted with him, and the evening with Rocky was business, so I'd toss those two out.

As it pertains to the Bruce / Babs relationship, would someone spell it out for me? What was said / show in Batman Beyond? I was under the assumption that it's outright said they were an item, but Chris here is saying it was only hinted at.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, he has the flirting with Babs, takes Rocky to dinner, dates Kathy, then chases Selina around the town in Chase Me. Kind of taking that playboy role to the limits on this disk, isn't he?

Barbara flirted with him, and the evening with Rocky was business, so I'd toss those two out.

As it pertains to the Bruce / Babs relationship, would someone spell it out for me? What was said / show in Batman Beyond? I was under the assumption that it's outright said they were an item, but Chris here is saying it was only hinted at.

Fine. Ruin my joke at Brucie's expense. Sigh.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall, it went something like Barbara talking about a great partnership on and off the streets, Terry did a double take, and Barbara raised a knowing eyebrow at him. The implication was pretty clear, but at the same time, it wasn't like Barbara was talking to Bruce about how they used to date and Bruce complained it never worked out because her stuff was all over his sink (of course, Stately Wayne Manor at last count had 63 sinks, so probably not an issue anyways). Like I said, I can still see that as Barbara's memory making it more than it was - but that's strictly my interpretation because I don't really like the Bats/Babs dating dynamic.

Chris

Guest DCAUFan1051

I have no idea about where it's said in B: Beyond about Babs and Bruce having a relationship the only thing I can think of that kind of echoes that they had a relationship is Barbara's explaintion of what the joker did in the flashback in BB: Return Of The Joker. Then again I have no clue and I'm tooo lazy to search through the three seasons of Batman Beyond :D

Without having seen all of Batman Beyond and going off of what you said, Chris and Mike, I have to wonder if they got together after Joker destroyed Tim's life. Not so much out of love, but out of comfort and needing to be with someone who understood the situation. I'm making this guess because two of my friends (one older, one younger) coupled after a mutual friend passed away about a year ago. It's a very similar situation, and is the only way I can wrap my head around Dick and Barbara getting together.

Without having seen all of Batman Beyond and going off of what you said, Chris and Mike, I have to wonder if they got together after Joker destroyed Tim's life. Not so much out of love, but out of comfort and needing to be with someone who understood the situation. I'm making this guess because two of my friends (one older, one younger) coupled after a mutual friend passed away about a year ago. It's a very similar situation, and is the only way I can wrap my head around Dick and Barbara getting together.

I could see that. This next part is not meant to be a comment about your friends (just wanted to say that upfront). If that happened, Bruce and Barbara came together because of a specific event and a need due to that event. The problem is that, as the pain of what happened to Tim begins to heal, that need is no longer as vital. Then, they find themselves in a relationship that isn't really a good fit for either of them, as they were only together because of the pain of what happened to Tim. Couple that with their working relationship, and I can see the stress of the situation escalating to the point where they almost never talk to each other, and we see the bitterness that Barbara shows towards Bruce in "Batman Beyond." I could definitely see that. (Like I said, not a comment on your friends, because I'm not saying this would be a universal, but for Barbara and Bruce, I think this is what would happen).

On the other hand, if we stay with the theory that Barbara thought of the relationship as more than it was, there's another possibility. After Tim's injury, Batman refused to work with another partner, forced her to quit as Batgirl, closed himself off from everyone so he wouldn't have to feel that pain again. Barbara would try to get him to relate to her, to relate to Tim, while trying to support Tim herself (and she mentioned that her father helped cover it up, so I would assume that there was more stress there). That event could well have been why she was so bitter towards him - most of it stemmed from her perception that he manipulates people into the superhero life and that he shuts people out, and what I described following Tim's trauma could certainly cause both.

I think either one of these could work (suprise suprise, since I took the time to write them out). I guess we'll never know which one really happened...of course, we're extrapolating all of this from 5 seconds of one episode of Batman Beyond and the phone call in Mystery of the Batwoman...

Chris

Guest DCAUFan1051

I can agree with that. However in BB: ROTJ I don't think Barbara is bitter towards Bruce then again all of the "Bat Family" has been bitter towards Bruce at one time or another.

:ot: I know this is early to say but my favorite Barabara Gordon Lines in BB: ROTJ are:

"The asylum had been moved to a newer high security building the old building had been partially demolished. It hung open like a rotting wound."

"With his last act of cruelty the Joker tainted us all with compromise and deception. I suppose he had the last laugh after all"

the part in BOLD is my favorite line by Barbara in the movie.

anyways EXCELLENT episode as always can't wait for the Retrospective in 2 weeks.

If I remember rightly, the Talia/Ra's episode of BB shows Bruce's scrapbook of past flings, which includes Babs. Personally, I don't mind bruce persuing a relationship with her in that Grayson's removed himself from both of them and Barbara's clearly always had an attraction to Bruce*, whether it's solely as his Batman persona or Bruce himself. So I can see it happening, although not for a sustained period of time. In that it was eluded to in BB, I think this movie serves to partially fill in the gaps as it came about a few years later.

*Batgirl Returns, methinks.

I can agree with that. However in BB: ROTJ I don't think Barbara is bitter towards Bruce then again all of the "Bat Family" has been bitter towards Bruce at one time or another.

Sorry, I was referring to the bitterness in episodes of Batman Beyond, not necessarily in ROTJ (by which point they seem to have somewhat repaired their relationship, I agree.)

Chris

Guest DCAUFan1051
To break from the Babs/Bruce chat, what the fuck was up with Bane? Excuse me, Señor Bane.

LOL James did u see my info post I think on the first page of the WFP37 thread of who the voice was that played him?

Also an interesting note :ot: you can see Victor Rivers who played Hro Talak in Starcrossed in the 1996 movie Fled. I had no idea it was him until I saw it the other night on Cinemax but I looked it up and wow Victor almost looks like the character design of Hro Talak.

I still don't understand why this movie was reviewed? This movie was released in 2003, so wasn't it made the year before that? Cause when this came out on DVD, Justice League Unlimited was around the air during 2004. I honestly don't believe that this was made before Batman Beyond, but before or after the first season of Justice League.

Does anybody see my point or am I just grasping at straws here?

But the real fact of the matter is Mike and James did not give an explanation on how this fits with production dates.

I still don't understand why this movie was reviewed? This movie was released in 2003, so wasn't it made the year before that? Cause when this came out on DVD, Justice League Unlimited was around the air during 2004. I honestly don't believe that this was made before Batman Beyond, but before or after the first season of Justice League.

But the real fact of the matter is Mike and James did not give an explanation on how this fits with production dates.

Much like we did with Sub-Zero, it fit the animation and timeline of Gotham Knights, so we chose to break from our normal way of doing things.

Bruce was way too good for Barbara and that's that.

When I was young, 14-15, I had a huge crush on my piano teacher who was in his early 30's. He had a poor temper, but he could do no wrong in my eyes. But to actually go out with him when I turn 18 would be wrong on so many levels. He was friends with my parents too, and well--you get the parallel.

Barbara Gordon was about 18 and Bruce was 35+. She's Commissioner Gordon's daughter, batGIRL, and she's a kid. Bruce is like her uncle. I'll never understand why the writers pushed that angle so much in the DCAU.

The only way I can see them getting together is if Bruce was 60 and Babs was 40, and they've grown lonely. Even then, it would be more companionship than love.

Dick and Babs were perfect for each other, and the writers somehow didn't want to tap into that. Instead, they fabricate this pedophilish relationship btwn Bruce and Babs and it was awkward as hell to watch.

Much like we did with Sub-Zero, it fit the animation and timeline of Gotham Knights, so we chose to break from our normal way of doing things.

I KNEW IT!

I'm listening to the episode as I comment, about the Bullock in the car scene, I agree on the second assumption Mike had was Bullock said that cause he doesn't like the greedy and almighty society they are. To me it makes perfect sense and did not feel like it came out of left field. But we just think the opposite ways, I guess you guys are Superman and I'm Bizarro.

They have been on screen together before, in Pretty Poison comes to mind.

So far fun listen, cause it seems to me you dislike this movie as much as I, which is alright in my book.

Guest DCAUFan1051

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

tooo funny

these forums are by far the ones I visit the most everyone is sooo cool here

can't wait until WFP38 when mike has to retract his Zeta on DVD statement :D

What's funny is that during the recording I did mention it, but I wound up cutting it from the final version. :laugh:

Question Yoda, how did you get your anime face on your profile? The only way to post an image up is by web link.

What's funny is that during the recording I did mention it, but I wound up cutting it from the final version. :laugh:

Question Yoda, how did you get your anime face on your profile? The only way to post an image up is by web link.

That's how; just post a link to the image.

About the half ass ending, it's like I said in my e-mail response talk about you guys to not review this movie, Alan Burnett wanted to explore the lighter side of Batman, too light for my taste, unlike Mike, I despise the Adam West TV show to no freakin end. Totally not related too previous topic, but had to throw that in.

I'm listening to the episode right now but a few things come to mind that I don't want to forget.

1) In a row?!?!? :happy: (OK, yes it's immature but.... 37!)

2) From what I had heard they did not bring Paul Williams back to play The Penguin because they wanted a more menacing voice to make him sound like more of a threat and not as you put it 'almost lovable'.

Now while on the subject of the replacements the new fella was a M*A*S*H cast member from season 6 to 11, is a frequent Disney voice actor playing Jumba Jookiba, Cogsworth, Governor Ratcliffe and many others. He apparently played Martian Manhunter in a unaired (in the US) TV movie/pilot for a live action JL series and in the DCAU was King Solovar in JL. The new Bane, who I do agree was a bit off in both writing and voice despite a lovely actor, was Hector Elizondo who is in most if not all of Garry Marshall's films and reappeared in the DCAU as Lt. Kragger and then again as a version of Hath-Set in JLU.

3) I thought Babs and Bruce slept together but it may have just been Babs' flirtation.

4)Kelly Ripa is not Anne Heche but I felt at the time I watched like she was a very bad voice actress. Dispute wanting to like Rocky I thought much of the things she said sounded very wooden or staged. Hmm just as I wrote that bit (the first time I was thinking AHEAD of the current comments) James says '[she] did a good job', that's a tad creepy.

5) I too miss Renée and wanted an explanation, but it is fun to imagine that the DCAU Montoya became the Question. Impossible with the timeline (and a male one in JLU) but again just fun to think of.

6) Not sure how long it took me to figure out who was the Batwoman but sure took longer than it should have. Nice job, Mike.

7)Alfred is indeed, gold. The humor in it is one of the film's strong points.

I'll likely have more to say later on too but so far so good. :happy:

Guest DCAUFan1051

in any DVD I get depending on what the special features content is I watch that first then the feature

So I already knew it was three not one woman.

too be quite honest when I got this in the mail I was excited to see it plus I wanted to be able to follow along with WFP37

However the very first time I watched it I fell asleep 15 minutes in............ that's gotta say something as to the quality of the film lol :laugh: :devil: :D