Episode 37

RSS

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys should be ashamed. Four pages and no one mentions that Mike used the words "Dick" and "sloppy" in the same sentence.

We were waiting for you to bring it up.

Why didn't you mention the fact that having Robin in the boat at the end was "Convenient for the plot" Or having Bruce find some of that metal thing and keep it was "Convenient for the plot" or Thorne and Penguin sitting at the side of the boat for five freaking minutes waiting for one of the Batwoman to follow them was "Convenient to the plot."

Or Mike saying "Dick" and "Sloppy" was convenient to the plot, because we all now know. Babs still needs Dick.

Also was it just me or or did all of Kevin Conroy's lines sound like he was talking to an answering machine? Or at least taken over by a robot,or he had set phrases recorded and they worked around that.

Also to cheer everyone up, Renee Montoya was the fourth Batwoman........anyone buying that?

That would mean she was in....the movie and all the gripes would've made.......sense.........ah this Movie was all round shit.

Why didn't you mention the fact that having Robin in the boat at the end was "Convenient for the plot" Or having Bruce find some of that metal thing and keep it was "Convenient for the plot" or Thorne and Penguin sitting at the side of the boat for five freaking minutes waiting for one of the Batwoman to follow them was "Convenient to the plot."

I don't recall Robin being there, James did mention the metal and it never dawned on me that Penguin and Thorne sat around. Frankly, I was zoning in and out by the end of the movie, so I'm sure there's more that I missed.

I don't recall Robin being there, James did mention the metal and it never dawned on me that Penguin and Thorne sat around. Frankly, I was zoning in and out by the end of the movie, so I'm sure there's more that I missed.

Robin was in the batboat and helped Sonia when she was injured.

I only noticed this after trying to watch the movie three times but falling asleep half way through and only being able to watch the last crappy ten minutes this morning.

Also is it just me or did the new Penguin remind anyone of the monopoly guy?

hell yeah suave lol except he didn't have the white mustache like mr. moneybags does :D

They should have just kept with the Gotham Knights look.

Also random fact-This film got a 12 rating when it was brought over here.

Why the hell would it get that considering this is a bloody boring basic movie, which sucked.

It was just boring, and the intro made it feel like it was four episodes of the show put together and released as a movie.....Batman/Superman movie.......Batman beyond the movie....Starcrossed....Secret origins....

The difference between these and mystery of the batwoman is that their were actually watchable and I didn't have to restart them four times because I was so bored I fell asleep!

As it pertains to the Bruce / Babs relationship, would someone spell it out for me? What was said / show in Batman Beyond? I was under the assumption that it's outright said they were an item, but Chris here is saying it was only hinted at.

Belated reply, but we had some things going on this week, so it took me a bit to get a chance to recheck. I had posted a reply from memory, but the actual scene was probably more ambiguous than my memory had suggested.

Here's the actual dialogue between Barbara (I can't call her Babs in her early 60s) and Terry from about 13 minutes into "A Touch Of Curare":

B:[Dick] decided to leave. He was hurt when I chose to stay behind...with Bruce.

T: As his partner.

Barbara smirks over her coffee cup.

T: His girlfriend?!?

Barbara raises an eyebrow.

T: Whoa.

B: On the streets, it was like ballet. We were the perfect duo. But for Bruce - Batman - there was nothing but the street. Eventually, that gets old. Time comes when you've got to hang up the cape.

Like I said, Mike's hypothesis about them being pulled together after what happened to Tim is certainly believable. After I rewatched this scene, though, it still seems like this "relationship" may well have been more Barbara flirting and interested, but very little actually happening. You could even debate at this point how much of it was her remembering it as more than it was (as I had suggested) and how much of it was simply her messing with the new kid. (On a preview note, there were a couple of poses in this scene where the 60 something Barbara Gordon's face softens, and she really does look like the early to mid 20's Barbara Gordon, but more on that in a month or two).

Chris

While I'd like to believe it was all in her imagination, I think the writers are saying it actually happened. :Shudder:

What, so they know more than us or something? They're just the writers, m'dear...we're the FANS.

On a non-Bats-and-Babs-is-sick-and-wrong note, I would like to commemorate the passing of a WFP institution. To the best of my knowlege, there will only be 3 more scattered episodes of WFP that could contain one of our most hallowed traditions, brought to us by James and Mike from the beginning. I'm referring, of course, to the fact that with the end of the Batman episodes, we also come to the end of the bad Harley Quinn impersonations. A moment of silence, please (unless, of course, someone would like to play "Amazing Grace" on a kazoo - I think the Harley impersonations would have liked that).

Chris

Wait, we have a few more joker appearances, and they are all awesome episodes.

Hand me that Kazoo.

I must play "I wanna know what love is...."

Wait Green Lantern can't see for a moment in Justice League if my memory is correct?

I think that the only 3 Harley appearances remaining are Return Of The Joker ("You worthless tramps!"), the Static episode "Tough As Nails", and the JL episode "Wild Cards".

Imagine if Circe had insisted that Batman do "Am I Blue" on the kazoo...

Chris

Wait, we have a few more joker appearances, and they are all awesome episodes.

Hand me that Kazoo.

I must play "I wanna know what love is...."

Wait Green Lantern can't see for a moment in Justice League if my memory is correct?

I think that the only 3 Harley appearances remaining are Return Of The Joker ("You worthless tramps!"), the Static episode "Tough As Nails", and the JL episode "Wild Cards".

Imagine if Circe had insisted that Batman do "Am I Blue" on the kazoo...

Chris

Don't toy with my emotions!

To answer you question Mike, what I enjoy about The Scarlet Speeder is the fun and adventure, absolutely dig the family dynamic, but I think that's coming to an end, cause Iris died from her excellerated aging, last I checked in. Definitely want to pick up The Wild Wests graphic novel down the line, cause once Iron Man and Hulk come out on DVD, I'm shifting gears, have very little Marvel books in my library.

I loved this film, but why are you guys covering this so soon? This came out after JLU was finished.

It's addressed earlier in the thread. This is being covered because it's within the same series continuity of Gotham Knights, much like Sub Zero was covered before S:TAS.

It's addressed earlier in the thread. This is being covered because it's within the same series continuity of Gotham Knights, much like Sub Zero was covered before S:TAS.

Yeah, but Sub-Zero was ONLY released after Superman: The Animated Series was started, but it was made before that series started. It sat for a little while before it was released, it was only when Batman & Robin was being released did they decide to finally release it. So the production # would show it coming before S:TAS

It made sense to cover it here, rather than later. That's why it was reviewed alongside Gotham Knights.

Ahh, but than you have to give the explanation of reviewing the second appearance of Roxxy Rocket in the DCAU before her first appearance. You could have easily waited and reviewed them in continuity order like Sub-Zero and MOTB

Hey not much to really say about this film.

Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman was an okay film, nothing really special. I do believe that the Batwoman costume is supposed to indicate where Bruce got the look for his Batman outfit when he finally hangs up the suit(in the beginning of Batman Beyond).

Having us introduced to several new characters when its a mystery of the identity of a masked character is so cliched it really didn't phase me. I wasn't surprised when the "surprise" was revealed and actually felt cheated. It would have been so cool to maybe see a character that we only see a few seconds in backgrounds. Hell even Veronica Vreeland would have been a surprise, maybe not much better, but I would have went "Oh my God" at that.

Having Rupert Thorne there really wasn't more than a call back to the original series, I still would have wanted Roland Daggett instead, seeing as the last time we saw him he got away with blowing up condemn buildings.

The idea that Bruce having a sexual relationship with Barbara is so unlike him, yes Bruce is edgy and a lot of the times has a questionable amount of morality issues, but Commissioner Gordan is like a father to him, I don't see him crossing that line. I think even he hates keeping it secret from Gordan that his daughter is Batgirl. I didn't like that they hinted at that in Batman Beyond and than went further with it here.

The Chase Me short is a fantasy(IMO), think about it when you fantasize or daydreams you have no sound(maybe just score type sound). It is very unlike him to give in to his desires for her(although it is hinted in Batman Beyond that they may have had a relationship of sorts).

What if the outfit for Batwoman is to be the opposite of Batmans?

What's the opposite of a dark and dreary colour like Grey? Silver.

What's the opposite of black that isn't white? Pink

Batman wears dark and dreary colours but is a hero, Batwoman wears bright and shiny colours but is a villain and possible killer.

Well that's my thoughts on that.

• 6 years later...

This is an old thread, but I am listening to WFP as I am working my way through the DCAU.

(Sharing the joy with my 3 year old, which I am sure the hosts appreciate.)

I just watched this movie this weekend, and I think I can explain how Penguin spent the money given to him by the terrorists. The materials would be very expensive, not only to acquire but ship into the country. Then various authorities have to be bribed to get the stuff into the country, various authorities would have to be bribed to get the military-grade materials (which would be tightly controlled) and you have the expense of running the factory itself.

Then there is a much smaller amount left over that will be the profit - and shared not just between the two gangsters and their enforcer, but various underlings throughout the organization.