Everything DC

JackFetch

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When "kinda fun" is the best that can be said about it, and "pretty lame" is the average takeaway, that's still not good, especially when you need to sell the entire Lantern Corps as a franchise. But that being said, I think the tone and style of the Man of Steel DCU will actually fit the Corps really well. As much as Green Lantern can be fun, when the Corps is involved I actually tend to like the grittier and more epic stories.

Having just rewatched it, Green Lantern isn't that bad. Yeah, it's trying way too hard to establish a universe before it does the characters, but the movie is kinda fun if you give it a chance.

This. The Oa effects are beautiful and I love the way that the GLs look. Unfortunately, the stuff on Earth was sub par and Hector Hammond....well....

So I watched the documentary on the making of the Nic Cage Superman movie. They had some good ideas. I liked his "teddy bear" assistant/robot thing. The light up suit wasn't really as big a deal as everyone thinks. It was only going to be on screen for two minutes while he was inside the resurrection chamber. They actually had around 4 or 5 suits in the movie. Overall I'm glad it never was made, but it wouldn't have been as bad as I originally thought. I still say Cage was absolutely the worst person for the role and his hair looks ridiculous in the test footage. The producer went out of his way to slam Kevin Smith as a terrible writer, but it's obvious that he just wasn't a "Hollywood" writer and wrote it from a comic book guy perspective. The guy really comes off as a douche since now super hero films are made by people in the comic industry.

Having just rewatched it, Green Lantern isn't that bad. Yeah, it's trying way too hard to establish a universe before it does the characters, but the movie is kinda fun if you give it a chance.

It is the trying way to hard to establish the universe that makes it so bad. Honestly the first Green Lantern movie should have been the easiest thing in the world to make. It is basically a CBS procedural like NCIS or CSI. Rookie cop, Hal Jordan, gruff veteran cop, Sinestro, investigate a murder, Abin Sur. So simple.

The biggest sin of the GL movie for me is that the simple premise of the ring should be the selling factor of the entire story, character and franchise. You have a ring that can virtually do ANYTHING. You don't need to kowtow to the Geoff Johns stories, you don't need to impregnate the DC Cinematic Universe, just work with that simple idea. Moments where Hal constructs a roller-coaster and a pool are the fleeting moments of true potential the movie's story squandered.

I never thought it was bad but it had to have been so much better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They've done Year Two and Year Three. The former was part of the inspiration for Mask of the Phantasm. The latter involved Bruce adopting Dick Grayson.

I wonder if the Batman Gotham Knight discs are gonna include the Batman Black and White motion comics, based on the actual book it's packaged with. They're only five or so minutes each.

Glad to see Perez's Wonder Woman in hardcover.

They've done Year Two and Year Three. The former was part of the inspiration for Mask of the Phantasm. The latter involved Bruce adopting Dick Grayson.

Year Two was quickly put out of continuity by Denny O'Neil because of Batman's characterization, and Year Three led immediately into Lonely Place of Dying. Year Three was half a flashback tale as it took place in the then-present soon after Jason Todd died.

I wonder if the Batman Gotham Knight discs are gonna include the Batman Black and White motion comics, based on the actual book it's packaged with. They're only five or so minutes each.

Only if the original releases had them on. I'm sure these are just the original presses of the DVDs instead of something new. So, the only new special feature is going to be a graphic novel.

I would watch the living shit out of a Damage Control series.

I really hope this isn't just one "Boy, we sure have to pay on a lot of claims after Metamorpho fights Mr. Banjo" joke after another. This could either be really clever and funny, or incredibly lame.

• 1 month later...