Everything DC

JackFetch

Marvel comic book flicks are generally entertaining and fun across the board. There have been some clunkers, to be certain, but on the whole, especially MCU movies, they're consistent.

The Dark Knight is an all-time classic film. Not just a superhero film, but film. It proves that this genre can produce art. Outside of the Nolan Bat flicks, though, DC movies have been pretty dismal in the past couple of decades.

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dark Knight is an all-time classic film.

And it's not the only one. Superman (78), Batman (89), and The Dark Knight all have had their impact on cinema and deserve to be considered classics. No Marvel film has reached this status, fun entertainment sure, but not important films.

I'll give you Superman if only because it was the first time the world at large realized a real movie could be made about this subject matter. Batman 89 was hugely financially successful but it really doesn't hold up.

I think if we're talking overall impact, then the entire MCU is important in that it made the entire idea of a shared movie universe work, leading right up to a proper teamup film. I'd agree that no single Marvel film has done what DC's done, but as a whole they're pretty incredible.

Let me put it this way.

When hearing about any Marvel movie output I am instantly positive about the eventual outcome. When I hear about DC movie output I am instantly pessimistic.

I loveloveloveloveLOVE all the MCU movies thus far, with the possible exception of Iron Man 3, which I merely like. Although the whole thing with the Mandarin pissed me off. They are what superhero movies are supposed to be; bright fun and often light as a feather. Entertaining. Their only output I've been truly disappointed by is Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

For me, DC movies are all dark and serious. And a lot of the time, they miss the mark. The exceptions being Superman, Superman II, and some of the Batman films. Of the most recent ones, I do like Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. I am also LOVING Arrow, and can't wait to see what they do with Flash. So its not all bad.

Oh and I prefer Superman Returns to Man of Steel.

• 2 weeks later...

Not great. I liked seeing the classic Bruce Timm style and that last bit of dialogue which was taken directly from On Leather Wings. But other than that, not very engaging at all. Plus the actual quality of animation was on the same level as that Batman eating a hotdog video. A pretty big letdown considering how good the Superman short was last year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For a long time, she had an incredible record. In recent years it's been less stellar as her personality and reputation (she is a horrible, obnoxious toilet brush of a human being) got in the way of her sources wanting to feed her information. When she broke a story, it invariably was followed by a studio worker losing his job for talking to her.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I am there on opening fucking day for a Captain Marvel movie. (In fact, the fact that she mentions Shazam! as something they're planning on is what makes me think this is legit, because no one outside the field has any fucking idea who he is anymore, and he's well known as a favorite of Geoff Johns.)

However, three tentpole superhero movies per year (on top of the one or two from Marvel) is going to hasten the inevitable fatigue that much sooner.

A Shazam movie where a kid gets turned into a superhero and goes on adventures with his superhero sister and superhero best friend and there's a talking tiger in a seersucker suit and all kinds of "Holy Moley" all over the place would be the GREATEST THING EVER. A generic "grrr, I'm Shazam" (i.e., what's happening in the books right now) I would have no interest in, but an actual honest-to-God Captain Marvel movie would be soooooooo fun. If they've figured out a way to make it work I would be so happy.