Everything DC

JackFetch

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Wonder Woman might be a little more immune to that because of her iconic status. Everyone knows that she wears an armored corset and briefs; they're cool with that. And if they set up the costume as being a cultural part of Amazonian armor & clothing design, it'll make more in-universe sense.

So, invisible jet, or no invisible jet?

Also, like Batman, people will mostly remember the twirl and theme song from the 70's show first. They'd need a damn fine director with an actual vision of where the story will go before we see a good WW film.

The question is if they are going to do a more serious version, or a tongue in cheek version. I don't think people are going to accept a Batman Begins version of Wonder Woman that takes itself too seriously. I think it needs to be more of an Iron Man with humor. Kind of like they are doing with Green Lantern.

The question is if they are going to do a more serious version, or a tongue in cheek version. I don't think people are going to accept a Batman Begins version of Wonder Woman that takes itself too seriously. I think it needs to be more of an Iron Man with humor. Kind of like they are doing with Green Lantern.

Find me a charismatic lead actress that won't look stupid in the costume and you've got the film. Until then consider WW indefinitely on hold.

Totally agree with both you guys.

I think the tone should be Iron Man-esque; possibly Spider-Man (though that would probably be going too far). You've gotta make it fun, but still "real" enough to be engaging. A hyper-realistic WW film would be god-awful. It'd probably work, but it'd have to be so far from the original concept that it'd be unrecognizable.

And yeah, the lead actress casting is essential. They need someone who's got genuine physical strength, not just a hot body.

DC Entertainment, as part of its ongoing strategy to integrate the DC Comics business, brand and characters into Warner Bros. Entertainment’s content and distribution operations, will relocate its business functions related to and supporting multi-media and digital content production to Burbank, California. DCE’s publishing operations will remain in New York, continuing DC Comics’ 75-plus year legacy of leadership in the comic book arena. These announcements were made today by Diane Nelson, President, DC Entertainment.

“These organizational changes reinforce the strengths of DC’s greatest legacies – most importantly its people and its creative talent – and offer greater opportunity for maximum growth, success and efficiency in the future,” said Nelson. “Our two offices will stretch and build their respective areas of focus, while prioritizing and aggressively striving to connect and cooperate more strongly than ever before between them and with their colleagues at Warner Bros.”

“This strategic business realignment allows us to fully integrate and expand the DC brand in feature films as well as across multiple distribution platforms of Warner Bros. and Time Warner,” said Jeff Robinov, President, Warner Bros. Pictures Group, to whom Nelson reports. “We are creating a seamless, cohesive unit that will bring even more great characters and content to consumers everywhere.”

The relocation process is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2011, with DCE’s businesses related to the development and production of feature films, television, digital media, video games and consumer products as well as the company’s administrative functions relocating to a Warner Bros.-managed property in Burbank, CA. DC Comics’ publishing operations, which have been the bedrock since the company’s inception with an annual output of over 1,100 comic books, 300 graphic novels and MAD magazine, will remain in New York. The bi-coastal business units will work more closely together to continue elevating the powerful DCE brand.

DC Entertainment was founded in September 2009 to fully realize the power and value of the DC Comics brand and characters across all media and platforms. The senior management team responsible for shepherding DCE through this reorganization is comprised of Nelson, Geoff Johns, Chief Creative Officer; John Rood, Executive Vice President, Sales, Marketing and Business Development; and Jim Lee and Dan DiDio, Co-Publishers of DC Comics.

Last week, Warner Bros. CEO Barry Meyer reportedly said that DC Entertainment was going to announce its superhero line-up in about a month, but DC Entertainment President Diane Nelson told Comic Book Resources that Meyer was misquoted.

"First, Mr Meyer, by his own admission, was misquoted, so we’re not going to be making that announcement in the next month, but we will be discussing a lot of our content plans before the end of the year," she said. "It won’t necessarily be exhaustive, and it will not be limited to a theatrical slate, but at the same time that we’ve been looking carefully at the organization, everyone’s been working very hard to keep the business moving in the direction we want – everyone in particular being Geoff Johns who has a lot of great stuff with our divisions. So, you will hear more about that before the end of the year."

In a separate interview with IGN, Nelson was asked about the comparisons with Marvel Studios' strategy.

"People make an assumption that we're going to mirror Marvel's strategy, for example with Avengers," Nelson added. "We do have a very different attitude about how you build a content slate. And it isn't necessarily about connecting those properties together to build into a single thing. We think we've got great stories and characters that will lend themselves to great standalone experiences, and that's the way we're focusing on it."

So while we won't be getting the company's entire line-up, well still be receiving announcements about its upcoming plans before the end of the year. Stay tuned!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=70004#ixzz10En7hOwp

And I just lost faith in WB again. Will someone teach these idiots how to make announcements and get us hyped for what they have coming? Now it sounds like they are going to do live action just like their animated movies which all take place in different realities. That means no crossovers and no Justice League movie.

Now it sounds like they are going to do live action just like their animated movies which all take place in different realities. That means no crossovers and no Justice League movie.

No, that's not true. He doesn't say they won't technically be in the same universe; he says they probably won't have their plots revolving around "building to a team-up" the way Marvel's films are.

And even if they were in different continuities, it doesn't really matter for a JL film. If Batman shows up in a Justice League film looking nothing like he did in the Nolan films, no one will care. They'll just say "oh, hey, Batman! Cool!"

A lot of Marvel's characters (esp. the ones they're gathering for Avengers) are all very reliant upon one another; DC doesn't necessarily have that as much. If the most crossover the DC heroes get is vague references in each others' films, that'll be fine. A Justice League film can still happen, no matter if the previous films build to it.

Personally, I'd rather have the solo films be solo films rather than every movie be a cameo-filled crossover like Iron Man 2 was. The Justice League doesn't need a complicated, interconnecting story arc to make it work. Just get 'em together and make 'em fight somebody.

Or—and this is a crazy thought—maybe we don't need a JL film, leastways not for a good while? I mean, I'd much rather have new solo films for Superman, Flash, WW, GL, and Batman before a JL film even gets greenlit.

And even if they were in different continuities, it doesn't really matter for a JL film. If Batman shows up in a Justice League film looking nothing like he did in the Nolan films, no one will care. They'll just say "oh, hey, Batman! Cool!"

People will care a lot. Look how apeshit everyone went over that Justice League movie they were going to make a couple years back. Continuity matters, and people will notice when Marvel is doing it right. The people that go see big budget movies aren't the same people that buy the animated movies. They are used to sequels and things making sense. If they saw a WW film that took place in the 50s like they were planning, and then saw WW in a modern JL movie it wouldn't make sense.

Or—and this is a crazy thought—maybe we don't need a JL film, leastways not for a good while? I mean, I'd much rather have new solo films for Superman, Flash, WW, GL, and Batman before a JL film even gets greenlit.

We've already had two Batman films, a Superman one, and will get Green Lantern next year. They have nothing else even announced past that. That's what pisses me off the most. It sounds like they still have no plan. It's the same WB that has had the DC franchises for years and not doing anything with them.

People will care a lot. Look how apeshit everyone went over that Justice League movie they were going to make a couple years back. Continuity matters, and people will notice when Marvel is doing it right. The people that go see big budget movies aren't the same people that buy the animated movies. They are used to sequels and things making sense. If they saw a WW film that took place in the 50s like they were planning, and then saw WW in a modern JL movie it wouldn't make sense.

People didn't go crazy over the JL film plans because they weren't gonna line up with the Nolan films, they were upset because it was gonna suck ass.

Yeah, if the movies are SO different that there's no WAY to make them work together, that's a problem. But that's not how I see that comment from Nelson. She merely says that they're not planning all their films to lead into a team-up story. I mean, if you look at Marvel, it's practically ridiculous how each of the films is practically subservient to the Avengers. I'd rather that DC made its standalone films work as standalone films, not force them to be mini-parts of a giant film.

And, what, just because DC isn't announcing their entire lineup four years in advance, they're terrible? When Marvel did that, people were surprised; having a slate that far out like that is highly unusual. Furthermore, it was likely only so well-planned-out because it needed to be for Avengers. If DC isn't doing that same thing, they don't need that kind of schedule.

I want Superman to be Superman, not Superman: The First Justice Leaguer.

People didn't go crazy over the JL film plans because they weren't gonna line up with the Nolan films, they were upset because it was gonna suck ass.

Yeah, if the movies are SO different that there's no WAY to make them work together, that's a problem. But that's not how I see that comment from Nelson. She merely says that they're not planning all their films to lead into a team-up story. I mean, if you look at Marvel, it's practically ridiculous how each of the films is practically subservient to the Avengers. I'd rather that DC made its standalone films work as standalone films, not force them to be mini-parts of a giant film.

And, what, just because DC isn't announcing their entire lineup four years in advance, they're terrible? When Marvel did that, people were surprised; having a slate that far out like that is highly unusual. Furthermore, it was likely only so well-planned-out because it needed to be for Avengers. If DC isn't doing that same thing, they don't need that kind of schedule.

I want Superman to be Superman, not Superman: The First Justice Leaguer.

I....agree with KW??? :unsure:

I will say that there are almost certainly DC fans that will want, nay demand, some kind of crossover film with DC characters if Marvel are doing it, but ultimately I agree that it's much easier to do an Avengers team-up than a Justice League one. Make no mistake, that George Miller project sounded utterly atrocious.

I....agree with KW??? :unsure:

I will say that there are almost certainly DC fans that will want, nay demand, some kind of crossover film with DC characters if Marvel are doing it, but ultimately I agree that it's much easier to do an Avengers team-up than a Justice League one. Make no mistake, that George Miller project sounded utterly atrocious.

Yeah, but at the same time. If DC are able to give us good films that stand on their own, like Batman, then that will keep the fans busy for a while.

A good example is Iron Man and Iron Man 2. Iron Man had some references to a bigger universe and an Avengers film. Iron Man 2 was annoying for being pretty much a 100 minute trailer for the Avengers with Iron Man as an extra. Which hindered the film a little to me.