Smackdown vs Raw '09

JackFetch

I rented it. I still can't get used to that freaking analog control scheme. This game would be SO much better with the controls from SDvR 2006.

How do you win the inferno match? I played as HHH, defending my belt against Jimmy Wang Yang. I beat the daylights out of him and busted him open, but could not figure out how to toss him into the fire. The match ended with a very bloody JWY as the new WWE Champion and HHH was on fire.

I rented it. I still can't get used to that freaking analog control scheme. This game would be SO much better with the controls from SDvR 2006.

How do you win the inferno match? I played as HHH, defending my belt against Jimmy Wang Yang. I beat the daylights out of him and busted him open, but could not figure out how to toss him into the fire. The match ended with a very bloody JWY as the new WWE Champion and HHH was on fire.

When the ring is at 300 degrees, you have to do a strong grapple, then drag them to the flames.

I returned it to Blockbuster yesterday. It's the same game as last year with some new problems, and minor improvements. The CAW leveling is completely broken, and the movesets are still awful. You can't set up certain sequences because particular moves are wrongly set as finishers (Kofi's Double Legdrop, MVP's Boot). Matches are super easy and still no fun to play. They had a good roster for a change, I'll give them that.

You can't set up certain sequences because particular moves are wrongly set as finishers (Kofi's Double Legdrop, MVP's Boot).

MVP was using the boot as a finisher just before he started losing all the time.

I'm not getting this until its lying in the discount bin. I just don't need a wrestling game bad enough to want this one.

Damn. Just checked the roster and Paul London is on it. Damn!!!

You can't set up certain sequences because particular moves are wrongly set as finishers (Kofi's Double Legdrop, MVP's Boot).

MVP was using the boot as a finisher just before he started losing all the time.

I'm referring to the one in the corner. I don't think he's ever used that one as a finisher. The one he used before turning into a jobber was the modified Shining Wizard, which they have set as a trademark move, and won't let you set as a finisher.

After so many years, you'd think they would let you just set anything as a finisher.

I'm referring to the one in the corner. I don't think he's ever used that one as a finisher. The one he used before turning into a jobber was the modified Shining Wizard, which they have set as a trademark move, and won't let you set as a finisher.

After so many years, you'd think they would let you just set anything as a finisher.

Thats the one I mean, he's used that corner boot two or three times on TV to finish guys. Plus it was a finish in the last game.

I hate the idea that they are disallowing more and more options as finishers the more the game goes on. The whole franchise stinks of restrictive overdevelopment. They concentrate on gameplay gimmicks rather than actually improving the damn thing.

I'd be okay with the finisher restrictions if they would stop taking moves out every year. From Here Comes the Pain to 09, they've gotten rid of over 300 hundred different moves. With the exception of Benoit's stuff, which is understandable, there is no reason they needed to get rid of the others.

I can see where your coming from Dubs, but I was going to this expecting to have so many finisher oppurtunitys at my disposal. I mean take Brian Kendrick, his finshers are "The kendrick" and a knife edge chop....

I mean theirs a lot of people who walked into this game hoping for the chance to make finishers that are so crazy they are near impossible to do in real life.

Is it just me or have they got rid of the TKO takedown.

They concentrate on gameplay gimmicks rather than actually improving the damn thing.

Yeah. The pinnacle of the SDvR series, in my opinion, was SDvR 2006. The original was good, 06 was the best wrestling game since No Mercy, and 07 improved on some of the problems from 06 (lack of storylines and limited GM Mode) but the environmental grapples don't work well, the weapons (especially the steel chair) are not nearly as smooth and the load times were awful. Then 08 was just a disaster.

My gripes:

1. I don't like the "ultimate control moves" at all and having 2 of the 4 grapple spaces reserved for them is a waste.
  2. The series should let you have the option of using the old control scheme.
  3. You should not have to take a CAW through career mode to build up stats, much less every single one.
  4. The story mode is far too limited by only allowing a few wrestlers. I have always used CAW in story mode.

Nonetheless, it is a major improvement over the last game, and is fun enough that I might buy it after my rental expires. The "road to wrestlemania" is actually not too bad, since it has storylines catered to each wrestler. In the past everyone had the same storyline, which put some wrestlers into situations that made no sense for the character. Case in point is having Kane in the "special story" arc, teaming up with Eugene to fight Edge & Christian. You could tell many of the guys were just phoning it in for the voice acting.