What's your favourite comic or TPB

SuaveStar

Well what's that one comic you've read over and over again and never tire of, or that TPB you've always said when walking past your shelf "Hey I'll read that again" name one that you never grow tired of and why.

I'll start:

Because my collection is still relatively small I would have to go for The Killing Joke.

It's an easy read, you only need ten or so minutes and your fully entertained for the full time.

Honourable mention to Under the hood: Vol 2.

I can't say there's really anything I've read over and over. Once I'm done, that's pretty much it, usually. I would say Preacher as my favorite, but for the trade I've read the most, I'd have to say the first Gen 13 TPB. During my younger days, that and X-Men were the only things I read.

Starman- Sons of the Father. Such a perfect ending to the series, a tribute to everything that is DC. The whole character of Jack is genius, a modern hero with great love for the past, so much the antithesis of most heroes created at the time. Plus it was the first time that the DC universe really fit together for me, reconciling the more adult vertigo style with a near perfect Superman. Seriously, this was the first time Superman felt special for me just because of how much respect Jack had for him.

If I think about it some more, I'll have a different answer every five mionutes or so, but one of my all time favorite TPBs is The Golden Age by James Robinson. Awesome Elseworlds story set post WW2 featuring a lot of B-list DC Golden Age characters.

My favorite single issue of all-time is Spider-Man #17. It's such a powerful story. In it, Spider-Man dies attempting to save a little girl, and must convince Death to resurrect him so he can save the child's life.

As far as trades go, I can read Batman: Year One over and over again. Same with Preacher: Until the End of the World.

Favorite single issue is The Thing #1 under the "Startling Stories" label, it's Ben telling this rookie Army kid three stories from his life, before he has to go toe to toe with the Hulk. The last issue of Cable and Deadpool is up there, too.

As far as trades? The Killing Joke, Watchmen and Kingdom Come, obviously, but some more obscure stuff too, like Hellboy: Conqueror Worm and BPRD: Killing Ground.

I'll also throw out there the Invincible/Spidey Crossover, that issue fit in perfectly with a really serious storyline in Invincible whilst also feeling like a light little adventure. The teaming of the two was more about Invincible being Spider-man as a kid and Spidey showing him how great it can all turn out, being a member of the Avengers and getting a hot wife. Its great for showing how far Spider-man had come at the time (all gone now, sniff). Invincible really does feel like the modern incarnation of that teen hero, crossing Spider-man style stories with Superman scale scope. Plus the naming of the Avengers was awesome.

Invincible: using "Spider-Man" as an indication of how you guys name yourselves -- let's see here... Robot-Man (Iron Man). Claw-Man (Wolverine). Flag-Man (Captain America). Fabio-Man (Sentry). Bat-Woman (Spider-Woman). and, uh... Black-Man (Luke Cage)?

Spidey: maybe my name does suck.

My collection begins and ends with Watchmen.....as that's the only thing I've evr bought from a comic store.

But I did get an America's Best Comics primer for buying it as well as owning some Asterix and Simpsons compilations from my youth. But yeah, Watchmen.

Trade? Maybe "Across the Universe: The DC Universe stories of Alan Moore." Then probably all three Animal Man trades by Morrison.

Single issue? That is way too hard. Sometimes it's First Issue Special #1 featuring Atlas, other times it's Legend of the Green Flame by Neil Gaiman, or Killing Joke. Any issue of Planetary?

Favorite series? Hands down: Planetary. Close second is All-Star Superman.

See? Too many to pick.

More obscure? There were two issues of Uncanny X-Men where the Brood implanted themselves into mutants and shitkicked the X-Men. One of the issues had Wolverine turning into a Brood on the cover. Claremont/Silvestri. I must have read those two issues 11 million times. Badass Wolvies pulls a Brood dude under the stage (it was set during a rock concert or something) and although the guy pleaded after he'd turned human, Wolvie quotes Ben Franklin ("death and taxes") and pops the claws under his jaw. Yeah!

Too bad after going back to it it's full of "That hurts but I have a healing factor and my bones are metal and I'm really good at what I do and shit." and "Wait a minute, sugah, if you touch me I'll take your powers and you won't have shit to work with. I'll fuckin' smoke ya sugah!"

Dude, I would totally love to re-dialogue those Claremont X-Men comics.

More obscure? There were two issues of Uncanny X-Men where the Brood implanted themselves into mutants and shitkicked the X-Men. One of the issues had Wolverine turning into a Brood on the cover. Claremont/Silvestri. I must have read those two issues 11 million times. Badass Wolvies pulls a Brood dude under the stage (it was set during a rock concert or something) and although the guy pleaded after he'd turned human, Wolvie quotes Ben Franklin ("death and taxes") and pops the claws under his jaw. Yeah!

I totally have those issues around here somewhere.

I totally have those issues around here somewhere.

They don't hold up. But they're fun. And they were Watchmen to an eight year old.

Superman Annual #11. "For the Man Who Has Everything." Moore and Gibbons. It was made into a very good episode of S:TAS, but the original story is one of the most moving and powerful Superman tales ever. It's been collected more than once, and it's always the class of the collection.

Not to be a total douche, but it was JLU, not S:TAS. And it was a great episode, and book.

Favorite right now is Walking Dead. I recently got into it, and have read through the first 6 trades in about a month and a half. Just greatness.

Favorite single issue: Uncanny X-Men 244. the first appearence of one of my all time favorite characters: Jubilee. A close second is the original G.I. Joe silent issue.

Favorite single issue: Uncanny X-Men 244. the first appearence of one of my all time favorite characters: Jubilee.

Great issue. I actually like the companion piece (issue before or after) with the guys night out.

I actually have no use for the character, but that is a fun issue.

• 8 months later...

Bit of a bump here.

Favorite Single Issue: Amazing Spider-Man #6. I don't know if it's because The Lizard is one of my favorite Spider-Man villains, that Stan Lee and Steve Ditko were in perfect sync, or something else, but I love this issue. I have an original copy framed on my wall. In terms of modern comics, it's without question Animal Man #5. It's amazing how much Grant Morrison was able to tell in one 22 page story.

Favorite Trade: In terms of classic comics, it's the first Marvel Masterworks Dr. Strange hardcover, containing in my opinion Steve Ditko's best artwork and some of the best artwork in comics period. For whatever reason, it's 5 issues shy of collecting Ditko's entire run on the title, but I hold out hope that Marvel will one day collect all of Ditko's Dr. Strange work into one omnibus volume. Modern comics wise, it's the three trades collecting Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man. A perfect fusion of the two styles Morrison writes in and still my favorite comic he's written.