Doctor Who Week

Missy

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, the only reason I don't go get them myself is because your dog is frightening.

That's fine though. When you finally go blind, I'll stumble into your house and you'll give me your Babe Ruth signed baseball. It evens out.

How come The Invasion, a 2nd Doctor story with two episodes that were destroyed looks and feels far more coherent and realistic than Destiny of the Daleks, a late 4th Doctor story that took place over a decade later?

The Invasion is pretty damn good by the way, the first and fourth of eight episodes are animated due to the loss of the film but everything else is great. It all goes Die Hard midway through, it feels like an action/adventure on its own merits than a more formulaic latter Who.

After Lethbridge Stewart refuses Isobel Watkins assistance on a dangerous mission on the grounds that she's a young girl-

Isobel: Bigoted idiotic...

Jamie: Ah, well, he's right you know.

Zoe: Jamie McCrimmon!

Jamie: Well he is!

Zoe: So just because your a man you think your superior do you?

Jamie: Ah, now I didn't say that. (pause) Of course its true.

edit- Zoe's an awesome assistant, several times throughout the Invasion her gift for mathematics plays a far bigger role than the Doctors genius.

How come The Invasion, a 2nd Doctor story with two episodes that were destroyed looks and feels far more coherent and realistic than Destiny of the Daleks, a late 4th Doctor story that took place over a decade later?

This is only one of many problems with Destiny of the Daleks, but it suffers in great deal from the producer, Graham Williams, and his inability to commission stories that take the show's laughable budget into account. Williams had lots of great ideas that were constantly let down by having no money to show them. The Invasion is simple: The Cybermen invade London. All your sets are done for you.

This is also the first story that had Douglas Adams as the script editor, which means that the humor is really getting in the way (and this is me saying that). The Romana regeneration scene alone is nowhere near as funny as the actors think it is.

Just watched "Rose". This is my first seeing the Ninth Doctor.

- I had read Eccelston's Doctor was a lot more angry and forceful, but he came off uber eccentric here. I'm guessing the intensity comes later.

- Please tell me Mickey comes back. He got royally screwed in this. I know I'd be wrecked if Billie Piper just up and dumped me like that.

Yeah, for the most part, Eccleston is very bouncy in that episode. But he does become a darker, more brooding character. Not all of the time, mind you, but it's there.

And yes, Mickey comes back. In fact, the next time we see him (in "Aliens of London") he

gives Rose a major earful for running off

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances

- This was pure awesome. It took what I found to be a very blah setting and told one hell of a smart story from it.

- Rose saying "show me your moves" has got to be one of the sexiest things I've ever witnessed. The things I would do to that woman...

- "Everybody lives!" Such a great line.

- My only gripe is that Jack isn't really a likable character. I normally wouldn't mind for a one off part, but the guy gets his own freaking series later on.