Doctor Who Week

Missy

Dubs, have you listened to E2 episode 284 yet? That's where Mike and I talk about Steve Moffat, the guy who wrote Blink and The Empty Child/Doctor Dances, as well as a few more episodes, and just generally go on and on about how he heals the earth and brings the dead back to life through the sheer power of his awesomeness.

And Koete is correct. Captain Jack is the balls by the time this season is over.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dalek and Father's Day - I cried like a fucking infant.

Though I recall "Dalek" being a powerful episode, I don't remember it being sad. What made you cry?

Don't get me wrong, it was no where near the level of Father's Day in terms of the tears, but it made a freaking Dalek sympathetic, which blew my mind. And the Dalek's line of "you would make a good Dalek" was the perfect way to get to him.

Dubs, have you listened to E2 episode 284 yet? That's where Mike and I talk about Steve Moffat, the guy who wrote Blink and The Empty Child/Doctor Dances, as well as a few more episodes, and just generally go on and on about how he heals the earth and brings the dead back to life through the sheer power of his awesomeness.

It's on my player, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Bad Wolf/The Parting of Ways

- I still don't understand "Bad Wolf", but I think it's one of those things that'll make more sense to me eventually.

- Jack still isn't doing it for me.

- Rose

turning into Jesus

was a bit much, but I guess I understand why they did it.

Someone that's been irritating me about this whole season/series though. Are the writers aware that not every man and woman in the universe has to flirt with each other? EVERY time Rose meets a guy, it's all googly eyes and giggling. EVERY time a woman meets The Doctor, they instantly want to run away with him. It's insane.

DW, be mindful of spoilers.

The "bad wolf" theme is something that permeates the entire season, and makes a little more sense when you've seen all 13 episodes. They do something like that every season. For the second it was

Torchwood

, the third it was

Vote Saxon

and the most recent one had two:

Donna's insistence that bees are disappearing, and missing planets

The "bad wolf" theme is something that permeates the entire season, and makes a little more sense when you've seen all 13 episodes.

Very little more sense, really. I wasn't crazy about that resolution.

I may not be remembering very well (I got the Season 4 set, but haven't had a chance to sit down and watch it yet), but

the bees

never really went anywhere, did it?

The "bad wolf" theme is something that permeates the entire season, and makes a little more sense when you've seen all 13 episodes.

Very little more sense, really. I wasn't crazy about that resolution.

I may not be remembering very well (I got the Season 4 set, but haven't had a chance to sit down and watch it yet), but

the bees

never really went anywhere, did it?

Its the whole reason the Doctor is able to find the missing planets, he tracks the frequency of the alien bees to a point in space where they disappear. Beyond that is Davros' dominion outside of time.

Anyway, neither Bad Wolf or Bees are as crazy as the season 3 finale. It was all gravy right up until Martha revealed that the big weapon in earths arsenal was wishing. I couldn't stop thinking about the Canadians in South Park: "Lets wish ourselves there"

- Jack still isn't doing it for me.

Oh c'mon, he's great in these!

"Where were you keeping that?"

"Trust me, you really don't want to know."

Someone that's been irritating me about this whole season/series though. Are the writers aware that not every man and woman in the universe has to flirt with each other? EVERY time Rose meets a guy, it's all googly eyes and giggling. EVERY time a woman meets The Doctor, they instantly want to run away with him. It's insane.

Unfortunately, this is going to come up often throughout the first three series. In the fourth series, Donna Noble becomes the Doctor's companion and isn't romantically interested in the Doctor in the slightest. One of the reasons she's the best of the new run's companions IMO.

It's been a few months since I watched Stolen Earth. I stand humbly corrected.

Anyway, neither Bad Wolf or Bees are as crazy as the season 3 finale. It was all gravy right up until Martha revealed that the big weapon in earths arsenal was wishing. I couldn't stop thinking about the Canadians in South Park: "Lets wish ourselves there"

John Simm was fucking awesome as the new Master. His performance is the only reason I can watch Last of the Time Lords. Between the

entire population of Earth clapping their hands and saying, "I do believe in Doctors, I do I do I do"

, and

"Doctor Who! Superstar! Are you what Russ Davies thinks you are!"

it's a total mess and ruins an utterly spectacular setup in The Sound of Drums.

(In fact, I would call that a hallmark of Davies' two parters - freaking amazing setup, totally disappointing resolutions.)

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances

- This was pure awesome. It took what I found to be a very blah setting and told one hell of a smart story from it.

- Rose saying "show me your moves" has got to be one of the sexiest things I've ever witnessed. The things I would do to that woman...

- "Everybody lives!" Such a great line.

- My only gripe is that Jack isn't really a likable character. I normally wouldn't mind for a one off part, but the guy gets his own freaking series later on.

What he said.

Mylandro showed me these two episodes and they were great.

They actually explained what happened in a very good way, even I couldn't complain.

And I'm a miserable bastard.

Christmas Invasion

- "I always wanted to be ginger!" Wasn't the Sixth Doctor a redhead?

- Mickie gets screwed over again!

- It would have been great if the Doctor checked the size of his ears when he looked in the mirror for the first time.

The Girl in the Fireplace

- This is the most depressing show ever.

- I had a bit of a problem with

the way he just sort of left Rose and Mickie there on the ship. Of course he found a way back, but he very easily could have left them rotting there forever.

Army of Ghosts

- Holy fucking Moses what a cliffhanger.

- But I do find it a bit interesting that

this is the third time that the entire Dalek race has been destroyed only to come back again.

- What's the deal with the 3D glasses he keeps putting on?

Doomsday

- "You are better at one thing. You are better at dying." :laugh:

-

Awesome seeing the Daleks and the Cybermen go at it, though I don't believe for a second that this is the last we see of either.

-

Though I know she comes back, I'm kinda glad this is the end of Rose as a main character. I love Billie Piper, but it was getting to the point where the show was becoming "Rose Tyler featuring The Doctor" and the change was needed. They also wrote themselves into a corner with making Rose so completely obsessed with The Doctor that she needed to either die or disappear eventually.

-

Awesome seeing the Daleks and the Cybermen go at it, though I don't believe for a second that this is the last we see of either.

Believe me, it's not. The show had to pay a fuckload of money to the estate of

Terry Nation, the guy who created the Daleks

, and they're going to get their money's worth.

Shakesphere Code

- Good episode. They definitely needed break from "the whole world is going to end and millions of people are going to die OMGDALEKS wheredidtheycomefrom?' Don't get me wrong, I love those episodes, but it was getting a bit draining, and it was cool to see some whimsy in there for a change.

- Martha is already starting to get on my nerves a bit. More of the "instant love" thing that drives me crazy about this series. I was warned though.

What you have to keep in mind is this: the idea of traveling through time and space is quite a romantic one. So falling for the person who can take you anywhere isn't that far-fetched. Oh, don't get me wrong, I wish Martha hadn't fallen for the Doctor, especially after everything that happened with Rose, but it is somewhat understandable.