DCAU's next book of Poetry

Guest TFG1Mike

Guest DCAUFan1051

I'm currently working on the little things to get my next book of poetry Forever Or Never: The Heart Bleeds ready to submit to the publisher and I was wondering if any of the earth-2.net forum members would like to have their screennames mentioned in the thank you page?

Please let me know.... I'm currently awaiting a reply from the publisher on when my next submit date is. here's what the thank you page has looked like in my other books:

I’d like to also thank my Pogo friends for helping with the new title and all the fun times:

Baker242300

NesiGirl

Stacymormon

Simboney7 (affectionally called SIMBONEME)

xXmrsqueenXx

mudmaiden1283

kioskorner

gatormaxbubba

matmat329

maydaybaby

spokanekari

• 1 month later...
Guest DCAUFan1051

HELP!!!

Ok here's the continuing saga of me not being able to use the title I want for this next book. The title I had originally is:

Forever Or Never: The Heart Bleeds

well apparently I can't use Forever Or Never because another author of the publisher has a book called Forever And Never

I then sent an email asking if I could flip flop the title and subtitle so the new idea would read like this:

The Heart Bleeds: Forever Or Never

well apparently I can't do that because they already have a book that is called The Heart Bleeds but my contact did say that I could switch the titles this way:

Never Or Forever: The Heart Bleeds

so basically what does everyone think of that final title would you buy a book of poetry entitled that?????

any feedback is greatly appreciated

I'm not trying to sound negative. But, no. I wouldn't buy a book with any of those titles, matter of fact, I probably wouldn't even take them off of the shelves in the bookstore. It comes across as something a thirteen year old emo girl would put on her LiveJournal.

Instead of going with that particular imagery, try something that's dark, but doesn't nessiscarily invoke such negative emotional connotations.

Guest DCAUFan1051
I'm not trying to sound negative. But, no. I wouldn't buy a book with any of those titles, matter of fact, I probably wouldn't even take them off of the shelves in the bookstore. It comes across as something a thirteen year old emo girl would put on her LiveJournal.

Instead of going with that particular imagery, try something that's dark, but doesn't nessiscarily invoke such negative emotional connotations.

thanks for the imput Doug unfortunately I can't use that title the publisher won't let me seeing as they have a book already in production with a similiar title.

and gee thanks for the comment Preston maybe your not exactly a person my poetry is geared towards so I'd expect something like that would be said by you.

Anyways it's offical the contract has been sent the new title is:

Never Or Forever: The Heart Bleeds

I'm not exactly happy about having to change it but then again I'm no John Grisham so I couldn't exactly go to a more notable publisher and get what I wanted it to be.

thanks for the input everyone though.

and gee thanks for the comment Preston maybe your not exactly a person my poetry is geared towards so I'd expect something like that would be said by you.

Except, you know, he's right and you should consider the fact that maybe he wasn't trying to insult you, but actually legit help you out.

Of course, now that you implied his opinion isn't worth a shit, it's not really a good indication that anyone should try to help you in the future.

Guest DCAUFan1051
It comes across as something a thirteen year old emo girl would put on her LiveJournal.

I can take constructive critism from anyone but the above statement felt like an insult to me and it seems to me that a number of people on these forums don't have the same likes as I do when it comes to movies/TV/and music which is fine but they don't have to out right call me on it every single time.

I have worked really hard on this poetry thing and with not being able to use the title I originally wanted I was looking for support from a few people. I understand that people are entitled to their opinion but that was a little fucking harsh sounding to me.

I appreciated the comments about the darker angle but in all actuality that WAS darker then my previous published books of poetry.

I'm just glad I have an outlet to get my poetry out into the world with this publisher. However insulting someones hard work when they have to change a title to something that they don't want just adds fuel to the fire.

And before anyone says "well then just don't use that puvblisher" to them I say yeah ok it's either that or get rejected elsewhere. I'd rather have my poetry in print then was 20 fucking years trying to get it in print.

Are you contracturally obligated to that specific title? Because I do honestly think that there might be better titles out there for you to use that might fit your poetry better.

If you want to use that title, it's just fine. Just be aware that the leap that Preston made might be the first thing that people think of when they see it.

Mike, if you like the title go with it. It's all constructive criticsm your getting. You may be taking it to harshly because you can't use the title you wanted, but maybe you can think of a title that better suits your poetry, a phrase or something that always went through your mind when writing the poems. Chose something that you feel the reader can connect with and understand but also give a little insight into what your poems are about.

Also Mike, not to sound like a prick.

any feedback is greatly appreciated
You said that about feedback, and Preston was just giving some, I'm not trying to stir any shit, but just remember that the people on here are people with feelings too.

Why not go for a walk with a pen and paper and write random words that come to mind when thinking about your poems overall and see which ones can be put together?

Anyway, that's all I have to say.

In the end your getting your book published and that os the most important thing to remember.

• 1 month later...
Guest DCAUFan1051

the following is an email back and forth between myself and my "editor" on the new book:

This is just a reminder that all changes, if any, must be submitted using the format requested in the 48 Hour review letter. If you send your corrections in any other form, we will request the below mentioned format. We also ask that you send a reasonable amount of corrections not to exceed FIVE pages just regarding spelling, punctuation and grammar errors.

These are examples of how every correction should be listed:

Pg.10

Paragraph # 4 starting - General Benjamin Howard was the...

Line #3 starting - was standing near the...

Please change ran to run.

Pg. 21

Paragraph #2 starting - The children were playing...

Line # 6 starting - you swim across the pond."

Please change . after pond to a ?

The requested format is:

Page number

The first few words of the paragraph the change is in

The first few words of the line (NOT THE SENTENCE) the change is in

The requested change

Best Regards,

ADAM

PublishAmerica

Adam:

I understand the format and everything that is supposed to be followed as far as line changes but as I stated in the previous reply there are whole poems split into 2 pages and they should not be so that's why I sent the corrections in the format I did. Also what about the 9 pages are are completely missing from the page proofs? Do you need me to send u an attachment of the manuscript?

Mike Blanchard

PA Author

Hello Mike,

The poems on other pages is strictly stylistic and may not be able to be done.

Concerning the pages missing. The pages that are missing had to be removed as this was a story by another published author. I have your corrections and will go through and implement what is acceptable. I will have your final review out once they are implemented.

Best Regards,

ADAM

PublishAmerica

Hello Adam:

I must say I'm very displeased with the stylistic look of the book. I understand that the story couldn't be put in so attached is a revised final draft of the .doc file of the manuscript. I've looked over the "final" proofs you sent and none of the titles have been changed as I requested. So please look over this manuscript of Never Or Forever that I've attached and you'll see what I'm wanting for each poem title. As far as the poems not fitting on one page that's just weird and crazy to me. In both my other books all of the poems that were 4 or 5 stanzas with dedication fit on one page. I don't think it's right that I have no say in what kinda of font etc the book is in when it comes to the poem titiles and text size. Please look this over and get back to me when you can. I am offically stating that I don't approve of the "final" page proofs you sent this morning. The text under the title page where it describes the overall point of the book should not be there it is supposed to be the back cover text only. The book should start with the dedication acknowledgements page after the copyright page.

Mike Blanchard

PA Author

Hello Mike,

Unfortunately, the corrections you have given me are simply stylistic and will not affect the salability or the marketability of the product.

I will be sending your book to our cover department shortly.

Best Regards,

ADAM

PublishAmerica

Adam:

look the one example I can give you is the poem Acting like a Child it should not read like that it should be: Acting Like A Child. why can't you change that to what I want?

Again as far as 1 poem being split onto 2 pages none of the poems in this book should be split like that. They should all be able to fit onto 1 page each. I know I'm under contract and everything with Publishamerica but I really don't even want to see this book in the current page proof form even be published. It is not in the correct format that I want it to be and as I said before I'm very unhappy with what little work you have done on it.

Michael Blanchard

Publishamerica Author

Unfortunately I'm under contract and this book will be the one I regret because it isn't what I wanted to be because of this idiotic editor. :sick::cry::shakehead:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DCAUFan1051

Here's the cover art for the new book. I think it's the only thing I'm going to like about it :cry: Because I doubt the editing was done with the changes that I wanted made. And what makes me mad is that there's a notice in the copyright page I believe that says publishamerica has left this as the author intended. If that was the case then why didn't that dumbass editor follow what I submitted as far as the page proofs ugh!

NeverOrForever.jpg

Guest DCAUFan1051

WARNING:

If there are any other authors out there you better not go to PublishAmerica because with their policy changes last year authors no longer get 2 free copies of their books to preview and see what it looks like. You now have to buy at discount your own book!!! I briefly skimmed through my contract because I thought it was going to be like the previous 2 I signed. I read all the legal stuff and everything but apparently I skimmed over the part about authors copies. This really sucks! I'll not be using them ever again.... I've had such a bad experience this time around. I'd be better off trying to submit to Doubleday or Simon & Shuster at this point. But what's done is done. Arrrrgghhhh!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DCAUFan1051

can one of the mods please merge my 2 poetry threads together and just have it as one called: Mike B's Poetry here's the link for The Twists Thread: The Twists Of Faith & Fate it'd be greatly appreciated.

Also I'll be ordering books this week of Twists II and the NEW Never Or Forever if anyone wants to buy them please PM me :D