Where Should I Start? DC & Marvel Fan

Guest TFG1Mike

Guest DCAUFan1051

Currently I'm not reading any comics.... other then the Transformers: Shattered Glass Comic that came with my Botcon 2008 Toyset.

I'd like to get back into comics...... I plan on getting The Killing Joke

however if I don't want to be lost in the DCU and Marvel where shold I start?

my main exposure to all of the character is both companies has been cartoons.

Like The Marvel Universe Cartoons and of course the DCAU.... are there any comics that kind of tie in with the 1992 X-Men series and 1994 Spidey and Iron Man series?

any suggestions whill be helpful.... thanks everyone

Nothing ties in with the continuity of the old 90's marvel cartoons really. If you don't want to deal with a lot of continuity I'd go for the Ultimate line in Marvel, Ultimate spider-man is pretty self-contained and a consistantly good book. The Ultimate line has only been around for a few years so it easy to just pick up on the major teams like the Ultimates, Fantastic 4 and X-men and follow pretty much everything thats been going on.

For DC I'd say pick one character and stick with them, preferably one with a long-running set of characters and a solid creative team. Green Arrow has been good since it restarted with Kevin Smith writing. It references enough outside continuity to gain your interest outside of that series without it being required reading to pick up other books.

If you like Transformers though I'd check out some of the Marvel UK line from the last 80's/early 90's. Pretty much anything written by Simon Furman and drawn by either Andrew Wildman or Geoff Senior. Highlights include Target 2006, Matrix Quest, All Fall down 1 & 2, anything right up until Generation 2 hits after issue 332. Personally my favorite period of any long-running comic is the 250-300 range of that title, its packed with great b&w art by Geoff Senior and tonnes of short one or two issue stories that are taken from almost any period in the whole transformers timeline up until then. Grimlock as Autobot leader on earth is hilarious.

Lastly the best burgeoning universe in comics is the Invincible series from Image written by Robert Kirkman. The main book has been going along for a while with a few small spinoff titles like Brit and Wolf-man having shorter runs alongside. Its a fantastic modern take on superheroism that combines the power and responibility of being your planets Superman with the everyday life sensibility of early Spider-man. Its very funny but by the time you hit the end of the second trade paperback the whole direction of the book is suddenly very gripping and very serious. Highly recommend for a low-continuity read.

Marvel? About the only books making sense are Captain America and Daredevil. Added bonus? They're awesome too.

DC. I'd agree with the single character thing. It works. DC are great as they have got a lot of entry level books that give peaks at the wider universe like Blue Beetle and Teen Titans. Green Lantern is the best thing going right now and it has its own internal continuity. You don't absolutely need to but pick up Green Lantern: Rebirth and The Sinestro Corps War for background (and kickass comics).

Marvel? About the only books making sense are Captain America and Daredevil. Added bonus? They're awesome too.

Both great recommendations, just make sure you go right back to the start with each. With DD thats hte Marvel Knights version, although if you want to skip straight to the first Bendis book thats fine. For a real grounding in the character try to find the three Frank Miller Visionaries books, DD became who he is in those. For Cap just go straight to the Volume 5 Brubaker run.

Guest DCAUFan1051

ok thanks guys for giving the input...... maybe I bit off more then I can chew with this thread .......

any recommendations just email me a list please:

nashbridges21@hotmail.com

thanks everyone :D

X-men Meissah Complex is s good read, as is the Planet Hulk trade and Annihilation .

You can't go wrong with Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy.

I think you might just be the Bizarro version of me.

Hello!

X-men Meissah Complex is s good read, as is the Planet Hulk trade and Annihilation .

Don't tell me you don't like Nova. It's one of the best books Marvel is putting out right now.

Don't tell me you don't like Nova. It's one of the best books Marvel is putting out right now.

I more than "don't like" Nova. I loathe it.

I more than "don't like" Nova. I loathe it.

Oof. I'm with Koete on this one. Nova is brilliant at times.

I hate comics.

Ohhh, can I put in my 2 cents:

It seems to me that Marvel is impossible to follow lately with all of the Secret Invasion crossover shit that's going on. And I never understood DC universe.

But I'll throw in my two cents anyways.

The Killing Joke is an excellent place to start.

Other Gotham related stuff:

Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns and Year One are both excellent reads.

And although I haven't read them yet I've heard great things about The Long Halloween, Dark Victory, The Man Who Laughs, and the recently released Joker.

That's about as far as my DC knowledge goes.

As for Marvel the things that seem to stand alone the best are:

Amazing Spider-man (although from what little I've read of Brand New Day, I haven't liked).

Captain America (generally one of the most lauded books around and I read the first 25 issues, it just wasn't my cup of tea...I must admit, the Brubaker Omnibus is an excellent starter though)

The only things I keep up with though are:

Daredevil (Love it, you should start at the beginning of the Marvel Knights section, or at least read Kevin Smith's arc which is vol 1, guardian devil before jumping into Bendis' stellar run starting at vol. 4: Underboss and just keep reading into Brubaker's good run, also although I haven't read them YET Frank Miller supposedly also does some splendid stuff here as well)

Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-men (read the first hardcover/vols 1 + 2, it's awesome, and it's pretty good in terms of newbie-ness)

Peter David's Madrox and X-factor (not entirely self-contained but not bad at least up through vol. 4, also need some knowledge of current X-events to read)

Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts (the first volume is great, I haven't read the second volume but you need some knowledge of the Marvel universe to read)

As for other X-stuff, Messiah Complex was good, and my favorite X-men story of all time you should find as it totally feels like 90's cartoon is: God Loves, Man Kills (probably my first graphic novel/comic and I was very much like you, no knowledge of anything beyond what I'd seen on tv cartoons).

Also the Ultimate Universe:

Ultimates 1 and Ultimates 2 - Excellent.

Ultimate Spider-man is also very very excellent and very good for newbies.

I don't like anything else I've read in the Ultimate line, it's too inconsistent. Ultimate X-men had some decent arcs although I don't fucking remember any of them, i think it's the short stint that Bendis wrote. Ultimate Fantastic Four had a couple decent books called Crossover and Frightnening I think. But I wasn't a huge fan of what I read in those series.

What I've been interested in lately are the graphic novel series and Marvel runs that have already been completed. I just finished Preacher which was excellent.

It really depends on who you like and what kind of book you're looking for.