How d'you get your name?

SuaveStar

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My name is Dan.

I live in Boston.

Actually, there's a little more to it than that. Back in college I was casually dating a girl who was also seeing another guy, also named Dan. When I called her, I would invariably get her roommate, who would announce that "Boston Dan" was on the phone (the other guy was, apparently, "New Hampshire Dan"). Somehow it stuck in the real world for a while, and when a forum wouldn't let me use "Dan" (remember, this was the early-to-mid-90s, when the web was pretty much college students only; chances were I would have been the only guy named Dan on a server; I was actually "dan@aol.com" for a while), I used Boston Dan instead, and it's served me reasonably well ever since.

I was creating a Yahoo mail address and decided on Stavros because it was the name of the hamster mentioned in the Super Furry Animals album Fuzzy Logic. Its wouldn't give me that, so after a dozen variations its finally accepted Rabidstavros77. I switched back to just plain Stavros after a couple of years on the Oratory forums.

Its a good name really, it means Christian Cross and I adopted it just as I left my faith. I like the religious overtones.

When I was a young man , I saved a cat from a burning building. It turned out that this cat belonged to a grand old wizard by the name of Trilak. As a symbol of his appreciation, Trilak bestowed upon me his fabled bow and arrow that he once used to defeat the Frostbeast of the High Mountains. He told me of the coming war and said that I would be the one to slay the Morklorians of the Twelfth Sector during their invasion of a Dunkin Doughnuts in Wyoming. I heeded his words and did battle. I can still hear the screams.... the mortal souls leaving those hungry victims. But I prevailed, saving humanity as we know it. Drenched in blood from the battle, I sought refuge at a local dry cleaner. It was there I met Isabella. She was 19 and didn't speak a word of English. We didn't need words. We had emotions. We had the burning scent of fresh combat to coat our raw passion. Then four hours later, I left, never to see her again. She was later deported, and she went back to her homeland telling tales of the chiseled barbarian that had swept her off her feet. Within a few years, the legend of my exploits had reached the farthest lands. They called me the Death Wrangler... or D.W. for short.

Or it's just my initials. You decide.

When I first started to toy around with the internet, dialing up remote BBS systems across the country in the early 90s, I always logged in as "darkshadow." When I sold my soul and signed up for AOL in '94, "darkshadow" was taken, so I went with "drqshadow." My dad named me after Sean Connery, the original Bond, and Q was far and away my favorite character of the series. So that's where the Q came from. I just don't like using my last name.

Guest DCAUFan1051

well my forum name was the only thing I could think of that wouldn't get me so much flack from everyone. Considering the other usernames I have:

Wackyboston26 (Pogo)

nashbridges21 (Email)

Nickelback1051 (Yahoo ID)

KnightRiderFan1051 (Knight Rider Online Forum)

TFFan1051 (TFWIRE.com Forum)

TheoryFan1051

I use the Theory screenname for almost everything else like photobucket and twitter.

so DCAUFan1051 was what I came up with because I'm a fan of the DCAU and a fan of WFP.

As far as the numbers in almost all of the screennames the 1051 is the radio dial numbers of the local rock radio station here in Louisville KY 1051 WLRS Everything That Rocks!

so that's my story

When I was 16, I did an expeditionary scheme called the Duke of Edinburgh Award (named after the Queen's racist husband). As none of my immediate friends were interested, I mixed in with 4 sportier guys than me. I knew all of them pretty well, so there was no tension or anything, but I was often the only one who took an interest in plotting our group's hike route from the co-ordinates provided. The rest of my group, with knowing irony, called me the lazy member of the group, which is how I became known as Sloth.

And my name's Ian, so I linked the two words together. It shouldn't be confused, not least rhymed, with the Scottish district of Lothian.

When I was a young man , I saved a cat from a burning building. It turned out that this cat belonged to a grand old wizard by the name of Trilak. As a symbol of his appreciation, Trilak bestowed upon me his fabled bow and arrow that he once used to defeat the Frostbeast of the High Mountains. He told me of the coming war and said that I would be the one to slay the Morklorians of the Twelfth Sector during their invasion of a Dunkin Doughnuts in Wyoming. I heeded his words and did battle. I can still hear the screams.... the mortal souls leaving those hungry victims. But I prevailed, saving humanity as we know it. Drenched in blood from the battle, I sought refuge at a local dry cleaner. It was there I met Isabella. She was 19 and didn't speak a word of English. We didn't need words. We had emotions. We had the burning scent of fresh combat to coat our raw passion. Then four hours later, I left, never to see her again. She was later deported, and she went back to her homeland telling tales of the chiseled barbarian that had swept her off her feet. Within a few years, the legend of my exploits had reached the farthest lands. They called me the Death Wrangler... or D.W. for short.

Or it's just my initials. You decide.

Post of the Day! :bowdown:

A couple of years ago, I was heavily into the .hack series of games. I was watching the OVA episode included with the third game I believe while trying to come up with a cool screen name. In the opening song, the japanese word "koete" meant freezing night per the subtitles, which I thought sounded pretty cool, so I used it and have used it ever since.

In all seriousness, when I first joined the Oratory, I actually wanted to just go by my first name of Damien. But that was taken, so I recall I came up with some absurd amalgamation of letters and numbers so daft that not even I remember it anymore. I quickly grew tired of it, and decided to go by my initials until I could think of something cooler. Clearly, I never got around to that.

I actually loathe my forum name, but I'm sort of stuck with it now, plus eventually "Dubs" grew out of it and I prefer that much more. It also has to be one of the most common forum names in the world, I've learned. Most everywhere I go, the name "D.W." is usually taken. Most everywhere else (email, AIM) I use SaberOdium or Xerseslives, but both are too complex or obscure for me to use as a forum name.

Guest DCAUFan1051
I just used my initials. I’m not particularly creative.

You are sooo sued.

for a while there I thought you were DarkWing Duck in disguise DW :D

where's LaunchPad?? :D

DWD.jpg

and the really stupid answer to suave's question in the topic title of how we got our names would be our parents :laugh: :devil:

First name, last initial--i.e., the 'Oratory Forum Name Syndrome'. Which is kind of weird because I go by "James IV" over there and "James D." here. I'm James D. Deaux IV, and no, you will likely never find out what my middle name is unless you get a wedding invitation from me years from now. (And frankly, at the rate I'm going, that's not likely.)

Eh, when I first started on the internet at Uni in the mid 90's I stole MaxPower from the Simpsons and it's kinda stuck with me. As that is far too common another one I use on some boards is FuriousG, which friends named me after my bouts of rage whenever a lost a big hand at poker, when playing team sports, driving, etc... The 'G' is for Glenn. If either of those 2 are taken, I'll normally just add my birth year, 77, to the end of them.

Good topic.

*Edit, wow that's embarrassing. I just looked up the Simpsons and that episode didn't air until 99. I could have sworn I used that at uni, but maybe it wasn't until later on. Hmmm, I'll have to think about this some more..... Interesting.

I just took my first name and my last initial like James did. Over the years, I have found that eventually people I communicate with over the internet invariable find out at least my first name, despite the screen name I use. So when I signed up for the forums, I decided to cut out to the chase and use my real name. Besides I am quite proud of my name. It gives people a clear indication of my heritage (as if my red hair was not clear enough).

On the subject of parents giving names, my parents did not give me my name. The nurse in the delivery room did. :D My parents could not agree on a name up until the day I arrived and the moment the nurse saw the red fuzz on my head, she exclaimed "She's an Erin". My parents liked it and it stuck, but no one will know my middle name, unless you ask me nice and bribe me well.

Heres a random fact no one could care less about:

As I was going to be their last kid, my parents had two different ideas for names for me:

My mum wanted to call me Kevin.

My dad wanted me to be named after him.

His name is Gus, but his full name is Augustine.

How the hell did they get to Austen!?

Told you that you wouldn't care....