The TFG1 Podcast by DCAUFan1051

Guest TFG1Mike

Guest DCAUFan1051

hey folks well I'm all moved into the new place.... but it's still boxes and furniture everywhere damnit.

just to let all you earth-2.neters know.......

Episode 5 is LIVE today. It's currently available for download on iTunes and the RSS Feed on PredaconEmpire

I'll be recording Supplemental Episode 5 later on this weekend and Episodes 6 & 7 as well. :D

Enjoy!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DCAUFan1051

With me moving and everything even though I'm somewhat settled I didn't prep any specidic topic for Supplemental Episode 5. It will be on iTunes this Friday the 13th. It's the all random episode where Steve/Megatron and I just pull stuff out of our hats. Enjoy!

Episode 6 will be recorded this weekend.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Supplemental Episode 5 is now available through iTunes and the PredaconEmpire Mainpage Also I forget who asked me about having somewhere to post pics of the figures I talk about in the "Display Case" segment but here's a link to that thread on the predaconempire.com Forums:

TFG1 Display Case Thread

Currently there are only a few pics on there because well I just started the Thread and I have all my other figures still in boxes because of the moving thing. The TF Universe Cyclonus was something I picked up last week. He'll most likely be discussed in TFG1 Episode 8 because I've already got Eps 6-7 recorded.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Episode 6 is LIVE!

you can get it from the usual places iTunes or the predaconempre.com mainpage through the RSS Feed.

More TFG1 news:

I'll be recording Supplemental Episode 6 tomorrow morning.... hopefully I will be feeling better at little bit by then.

I've got tons of ideas for podcasts after TFG1 ends...........yes folks it will end at 25 episodes not including the supplementals. So if anyone wants to know what the ideas are PM me On the next podcast I do I want a cohost damnit :D

Guest DCAUFan1051

For those of you that are listening and those of you that intend to listen because of my PC issues I'll be pre recording a few Regular TFG1 Eps then taking the computer either to the shop or the dumpster. But I just wanted to let everyone know that the regular eps will be out every other friday starting next friday 3/6/09... Supllemental Episode 6: The Bueller Bueller Edition will be the last supplemental for a while and it will release this friday the 27th. Dunno how many eps I'll pre record but it'll be enough that people will still get the fortnightly content.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DCAUFan1051

OMG! The TFG1 Podcast LOST Supplemental Episode 3 is LIVE I'm only in the intro/outro..... seeing as I deleted my side of the conversation when attempting to export a few months ago. Here's the RSS Feed:

TFG1 RSS Feed

The reason why I'm reposting the RSS Feed is because in case some people haven't listened yet or found it on iTunes. That and no one wants to hunt for it in the past pages of the thread.

Mike I have listened to a few episodes, and I have some things to say:

Edit out yawning and coughing.

Especially the coughing, when i listen to a podcast i really don't want to hear a loud noise burst down my ear drum.

I enjoyed what i listened to, but really just edit out these problems as they ruined the show for me.

Also in the supplemental episode where you combined it with another guys podcast you cut him off several times, it's kind of off putting you cutting in every five seconds when he's talking, the best way to get banter flowing is to let everyone feel comfortable and have the freedom to speak.

Guest DCAUFan1051

thanks for the feedback suave... I'm still working on it. I think I need to just stop reading from the scripts I write up.... because that's what's making me yawn. However if I do that I'll have to find the synopsis's somewhere else... I think there's brief ones in the booklets that came with the DVD's. However just reading those and not the ones I write up will severely shorten the time in each podcast episode. That's not say I'm gonna have 2-3 hour long episodes each time. If you are still listenign past episode 5 episodes 6-9 were prerecorded when I thought my PC was gonna die. Which Supplemental were you refferring to? I've gotten a little bit better with the back and forth without cutting my cohosts off I think.

Also the lost supplemental episode 3 is up on iTunes. Please ignore the end speech where I say what's coming up next as that was recorded months ago and those episodes have already aired.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Thanks suave. Your right there were sync issues with the audio in the first few supppementals it was the editing. However they're getting better

I've been able to edit them a little easier as of late and I am going to start removing all the coughing anyhow just had a lack of time. As for the episodes I also got Episode 7 online now as well. Any editing ideas shoot them my way as I do that part of the show as well as co-host in mostly the Supplementals.

Mike instead of one sentence use the bullets in word to show a brief few words/sentence on what you'd like to hit upon but don't read from the script directly. Still reword it from that.

I've been able to edit them a little easier as of late and I am going to start removing all the coughing anyhow just had a lack of time. As for the episodes I also got Episode 7 online now as well. Any editing ideas shoot them my way as I do that part of the show as well as co-host in mostly the Supplementals.

Mike instead of one sentence use the bullets in word to show a brief few words/sentence on what you'd like to hit upon but don't read from the script directly. Still reword it from that.

Whatever helps you guys with the podcast.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Whatever helps you guys with the podcast.

thanks for the support suave... and without Steve TFG1 wouldn't be what it is...... because as I've said before I have no clue on editing. So thanks so much for everything Steve.

I've actually been watching the record timing on each episode as I record individual clips and most of them are 5minutes or less.

Episode 7 is live like Steve said..... listening now, so far great job Steve.

I'm no longer sick so the prerecorded episodes were when I was so.... there shouldn't be any coughing after episode 9. :D

and also great thanks to Steve for updated artwork that fills out the iTunes now playing window:

TheTFG1PodcastNEWArt.jpg

Had a little error in the ep this morning which is corrected now. Also thanks for the constructive crits as well as edit help and thanks Mike for the thanks. I learn from trying. Anyhow got more podcasts to go.

BTW it won't let me add a profile image to my name. Says too large when it's all the right specs.

Had a little error in the ep this morning which is corrected now. Also thanks for the constructive crits as well as edit help and thanks Mike for the thanks. I learn from trying. Anyhow got more podcasts to go.

BTW it won't let me add a profile image to my name. Says too large when it's all the right specs.

Try adding it to a post and transferring it from there.

Guest DCAUFan1051

you have to add it through photobucket or something like that Steve In the my Controls on the left hand side click edit avatar. :D

Yeah we're uh in Podcasting hell coming up... We're going to be doing a movie review Podcast... however it will not take away from TFG1

Guest DCAUFan1051

I just wanted to give everyone an update on the podcast. Seeing as I've just finished writing up the episode 14 script and I'm done watching Season 2 of G1 the podcast might become weekly always on Friday's. I'm currently going to be writing up Episodes 15-16 just general notes and what Steve & I will be discussing in said episodes. I'm a very impatient person and really don't want TFG1 to last throughout the rest of 2009. That and I have tons of other projects in mind. I will still be taking the same dedication to the material and the episodes as I have through the first 10 regular episodes reviewing the cartoons. And as well as the supplementals. One of the reasons the supplementals have kinda gone away is because they were mostly movie reviews. As most of you know Steve and I are going to be starting a movie review podcast in July. I'm currently recording ads for that podcast and going through my movies to get episodes setup for us. I hope you all will tune into The MWIRE Movies Week In Review (tentative podcast title). I think that because I jumped ahead of myself with writing up scripts and notes ahead of recording each episode has allowed me to look over the G1 cartoon more and realize I still enjoy it. As I always will enjoy it. Steve has told me that ATTF will become a monthly podcast most likely at the last week of each month just recapping a full months worth of news. Whenever I can get my hands on the Beast Wars/Beast Machines DVD's we will also be doing a review podcast of those cartoons. I know Steve really wants to do that and I do as well, because I've never really watched those cartoons all the way through. So that's my update for what I'll be doing as far as podcasting throughout 2009 & beyond.

Guest DCAUFan1051

recently my cohost and friend SCP21 found an interview from TFW2005.com with Frank Welker here it is in it's entirety beware it's very long :D:

TFW2005 was given the opportunity to talk to the legendary voice actor Frank Welker recently, the result being an interview so epic, we had to split it into two segments. In this first segment, we discuss the 2007 Transformers movie and video game, and his long and successful career in voice acting.

TFW:

What was your reaction, when you heard about the out-pouring of support from the fans for you to reprise your role as Megatron in the recent movie?

Welker:

Well, I was absolutely blown away. I really had no idea how big the Transformers were, let alone the size of the fan base. Their passion and knowledge of all things TF is pretty awesome. For me, knowing the fans felt my G1 Megatron was original and important to them and should have been included in the feature production was humbling. That loyalty has pretty much increased my hat size about two fold. Of course I realize it is "Megs" ultimately...not me.

TFW:

How did you feel about the role of Megatron in the recent transformers movie going to Hugo Weaving?

Welker:

Hey, if it can't be me or an immediate member of my family playing the role of Megaton, Hugo Weaving is not too shabby. He is a superb actor who always brings interesting interpretations to his work. His agent Smith from the Matrix series was an example, he used a very slight robotic twitch and underplayed it so nicely...top notch. The clips I saw of his Megatron seemed to work just fine, but it was pretty heavily processed and made the voice sound typical of what you might expect of a 40 foot mechanical villain. I think it would have been more interesting to hear less process and more Hugo.

TFW:

Can you describe what kind of interactions you had with the producers, and were these related to your later work on the video game adaptation?

Welker:

I really had no interaction with the producers or the director. We tried to get together several times to do an in person interview/audition but couldn't make our schedules meet. I sent a couple of lines in via audio tape but never saw or read a script. From what I heard, the ultimate decision came down to the director and he did not feel my G1 Megatron voice would work with his vision. As far as the game...no, my work on the game was separate from the film group.

TFW:

Have you been approached at all for any further work with the franchise, either with the movie

(Soundwave?) or another incarnation, such as Transformers: Animated?

Welker:

Well it is a little too early to be specific but I will say yes and no. No, I have not been approached by the movie folks but yes I am still involved in the franchise...more on that later.

TFW:

How did it feel reprising the role of Megatron for the Transformers Movie video game?

Welker:

It was great. It was a lot of fun to see my old buddy Peter Cullen and the folks at Activison are a very cool group and a pleasure to work with. Talk about loyalty...they insisted on the G1 Megatron voice and felt strongly that it was integral to the game and important to the fans.

TFW:

Was it hard to get back into the old voice? Some fans have noted that they feel your current Megatron performance for the video game and animated prequel comic was somewhat different from the old 80s performance.

Welker:

No, it wasn't hard getting back into the voice. I did watch some of the old shows for home work and I enjoyed seeing and hearing my friends and arch enemies again. As for the voices, the reviews of the game that I read were specifically very favorable to the voices and considering the blending of two different mediums with different ideas and personnel and voices I thought that was remarkable. I do remember reading that one reviewer thought Peter and I sounded more mature and this especially worked for a more evil Megatron and a stronger wiser Prime.

TFW:

Did you consciously go a slightly different way with the delivery, or is any difference a matter of different post-production editing?

Welker:

Whenever you work with a director, there is a good chance you will be asked to go on acting adventures ...but no, other than doing what is asked of me, I tried to stay true. As far as production and sound are concerned I don't believe Activision did much to the vocals. In the old TV shows we had an echo effect rolled in over our voice tracks. This was done by our sound designer and engineer Scott Brownlie. It gave the voices an interesting metal and other worldly quality. It was subtle but I liked it and it worked well with the scratchy Megatron.

TFW:

When you're not behind the mic, what does Frank Welker do in his spare time?

Welker:

Think about why I'm not behind a mic!

TFW:

Did you ever buy any toy versions of the characters you voiced? Were you ever given anything from Hasbro or any other companies?

Welker:

Yes, I once took bought a toy doll of Stripe from the "Gremlins" and used it as a prop on the Merv Griffin Show. It was a fantastic little creature. I went off and left it at the show and was totally bummed. Then about three years later my secretary gave me another one for Christmas. I still have it. I had a Megatron that Hasbro gave us in the 80's but it is gone...I have no Transformers stuff at all.

TFW:

Which voice actors have you felt most privileged to work with over the years? What was is like working with legends like Mel Blanc? Do you find that a lot of younger voice actors now look up to you? How you feel about this?

Welker:

I worked with Mel a few times and Daws Butler and Stan Freberg, Bill Scott and many others. Of course it was an honor working with these giants, and I will never forget it. Bill Scott, Bulwinkle and Dudley DoRight, was one of my all time heroes and we became friends and were planning a screen play with Mark Evanier, the premier director/writer of Garfield, and many other shows. I was so excited to be working with Bill and we had a deal with a major studio to develop our script. It was a complete shock but Bill died of a heart attack and we never got to page one. I really enjoyed his company and working with Mark and Bill was a dream that unfortunately didn't last. Bill used me as Boris, the announcer and other great Jay Ward characters for some commercials so at least we did get to voice together for a short while.

TFW:

What differences do you find in voicing animals, as opposed to "speaking" characters?

Welker:

I think people have more of a preconceived idea of what a human voice's should sound like but when you do animals there is more freedom of artistic movement. You are creating sound the listener hasn't pigeon holed ....directors are more apt to leave me alone with my etch-o-sketch and I like that.

TFW:

Recently, it seems like you've been voicing more animal roles. Do you feel that you have been typecast? Would you prefer to have more speaking roles?

Welker:

Yes and Yes.

TFW:

You've done a number of roles with characters that other actors have previously established, such as Barney Rubble and Ray Stanz. How do you approach such a role?

Welker:

First I try and replicate them as close as possible if that is what the show requires. Then over time you can change them carefully into your own… carefully. After all, it is you and your own personality and humor that will through osmosis rearrange the gene lines, but you are mixing with someone else's DNA. I look at it as a privilege and an honor, not a right.

TFW:

Is there any difficulty in doing multiple roles in the same show, especially all at once? How do you feel about times when you end up "talking to yourself"?

Welker:

I used to be very good at it. Now that I am older I talk to myself all the time just as a matter of course. I guess all those years were training. Most actors are good at talking to one's self and doing back to back characters...Jeff Bennett is very good at it. I have been in a session right next to him and thought there were two other actors, it was just Jeff.

TFW:

In the past few years, you've been given the opportunity to revisit some of your roles in a comedic fashion (Robot Chicken, Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law). How did you feel about that?

Welker:

It is always great fun, I like working with the young blokes and they always treat me with great reverence. It is interesting to hear the stories of how they grew up listening to me...a bit disconcerting considering I am now growing up listening to them!

TFW:

Do you stay in touch with many of the other voice actors you've worked with?

Welker:

Not enough, I actually live within minutes of Rob Paulson and Jim Cummings and we never see each other, only at sessions. We do get in the occasional round of golf in fact the team of Rob Paulson, Jeff Bennett, Sue Blu and I won first place in the annual Cartoonists golf tournament representing Universal Studios this past year. Peter and I see each other a couple of times a year and spend more time talking about getting together than actually being together. It's just one of those things...

TFW:

What do you think makes a good voice director?

Welker:

In my opinion, the best directors hire people they know can do the job and then get out of the way. Too much time is wasted on interpretation and line readings and character building. Get folks who know what they’re doing and let them do it. All most actors need to know is what is the action and where is the microphone.

TFW:

Where do you draw your inspirations from in creating a voice? What inspired you to come up with Megatron's voice?

Welker:

I find that I respond more visually than verbally and looking at a drawing or seeing pictures of the characters evokes an automatic reaction which suggests a voice or attitude. If there is a description and history it helps form a point of view that adds to the overall voice. I think I enjoy looping to picture...looping is the process where you record in a studio with the film or project on the screen and you voice over to what you are looking at...because you see the action on the screen and you just go for it. The character is there and it helps the director as well since he just has to show you the scene, it is a very liberating and creative process. When I auditioned for the Transformers show, there was a sign at the door that said “pick three”. There were piles of drawings of the characters on this table so I just picked up a bunch of the Autobots and Decepticons and had at it. I was drawn to the evil characters since a lot of my work had been mixed with way too many good guys. When I saw Megatron he stood out and I liked the fact that he was the leader of the Decepticons. I tried to make his voice different from what I thought the other actors might do in hopes it would stand out. In the case of Megatron it was the first voice that came to me and the powers to be said "Hello Megatron."

As it turned out I got seven of the original parts...Autobots and Decepticons. I think Wally Burr the director was so busy doing other shows plus working this one he didn't realize he cast me in all those parts...hey, I was lucky!!

TFW:

Could you cite some other notable examples?

Welker:

Well, Soundwave was a very bad impression of Barry White but again I wanted something different and it was another weird sounding voice. I think now I was not going with visual as much as trying to create a voice that was different from what I had already done and from the rest of my fellow actors. I didn't realize until the middle of the season that Scotty, our engineer, had processed the shorts off that voice and added large amounts of that "vocal harmonizer thingy bobby"...that's tech speak for "lots of sound stuff." So anyway, it really was fun to do but I could have done Snooky Lanson and it still would have sounded the same. The younger folks will need to look Snooky up on Wikipedia.

TFW:

Please describe some of your most memorable experiences working in this field. What's the hardest time he ever had in the studio? Why?

Welker:

Well the thing that makes for good memories is good people. And it is no exaggeration when I tell you that the actors I have had the pleasure of working with in the voice business are flat out fun, talented, weird people. Mike Bell who is a trouble causer from way back will make you laugh in all the wrong places...he could make me laugh at a funeral. Tress MacNeille, Jim Cummings, Rob Paulson, Jeff Bennett, Kath Soucie, Maurice La Marche on and on they are what make it memorable. It would be impossible to separate or delineate all of the great times. One of the worst times I had was doing a Michael Jackson video....I hated wearing that veil...just kidding. All I had to do was scream for MJ as he morphed from and old white man into a werewolf. Sounds easy enough right??? Wrong, the director had me screaming at the top of my lungs for 22 takes. The first take was the same as the 10th and the 22nd, the director, a Mr. Westmore, thought the screams were wonderfully unique and he was waiting for just the right quality...I think he was trying to have my lungs cover the microphone. I had worked for him before and I think he was trying to get even with me for drinking his coffee and accidentally parking in his parking spot. He won, I was hoarse for two days...

TFW:

What are some of your fondest memories working on the original Transformers series?

Welker:

I know it is cliche, but as I mentioned above, it was a hoot working with Mike Bell who loved to pick on Peter Cullen. Peter is such a good guy and has the best laugh in town. We all tried to get his number and he was pretty easy. Of course he could dish it out too and was very funny with great stories of the Great White North. He does a French Canadian that puts me away. It was an odd cast of characters literally...and that kept it fun.

TFW:

Is there a particular episode of Generation 1 you remember enjoying the most, and if so, why?

Welker:

I have to be honest with you...I was just happy going to work. I know we did several seasons, and I can't really tell you about any of the specific shows. It was back in the 80's and it all kind of runs together when you do that many shows. I do remember some shows where I was playing about seven or eight different roles...I found out what it was like being "Sybil."

TFW:

Can you tell us some interesting stories from the recording sessions with Wally Burr and the rest of the Generation 1 cast?

Welker:

Well I don't know how interesting this is but I remember we used to be booked all day for Transformers sessions. Most of us, as I mentioned before, had a lot of work to do in other shows at other studios and they wanted us and we needed to get out early. So we would stop the session, Wally, the director, would pick up our lines and off we went to another recording. This was very common in those days because sessions could be booked for eight hours but almost none would go more than three to four hours and now there is a four hour limit to a recording session. Wally was known for long sessions but he was considerate of those of us that had to leave. But on this one particular day lots people were leaving right and left and interrupting Wally's flow. He was a very hard worker and this constant, "may I leave at 11:00 I have a Smurfs session?" started driving him crazy. Well, the day was running very long and people were still leaving...it was getting past 6:00 p.m. with no end in sight. Wally finally said, "Well that looks like that is the last of the interruptions!" then he added with a slight smile and pained relief; "Anybody have any more sessions I should know about?" I couldn't resist, I raised my hand and told him, "Yes, I have a midnight at Hanna/Barbera!"

TFW:

In other interviews, many other voice actors have said that you were a joker and a prankster. Can you tell us some of the best stunts you pulled?

Welker:

Just rumors : ) I am a very serious actor.

TFW:

Similarly, Peter Cullen talked about a "game" you and he played during the recording of the recent Transformers video game, where each of you tried to make the other laugh during their lines.

Welker:

That Peter, he is forever the youthful "Peck's" bad boy. He was always trying to get into my head much the way golfers do when the opposition is putting. But me being evil had its advantages...he was never sure if I was mad at him or just mad...or insane mad. It was the later, of course. We always have fun together because of our great mutual respect and a long history of working together. I don't know if you or many folks out there are aware of how broad Peter's talent is...he used to host a TV show in Canada, he does great impressions, sound effects, he is a great horse man...oh and he can laugh water through his nose!!!

TFW:

Can you tell us anything about this? Are there any recordings of these out takes, or out takes from Generation 1?

Welker:

You know the G1 sessions were a lot of fun and there was plenty going on...unfortunately, I don't think there are any out take reels...too bad.

TFW:

Also, have you succeeded in making Mr. Cullen squirt water from his nose yet?

Welker:

Yes, and I am damn proud of it!!

TFW:

Who was more fun for you to play, Megatron or Galvatron?

Welker:

Megatron, I never really cared much for Galvatron. I was asked to do it and to try sound just a certain way which painted me into a corner...I think they wanted to use Nimoy but of course he couldn't do it, he just wasn't available. They wanted me on the Enterprise but I was busy doing Megatron ; ) (not)

I ended up working for Leonard when he was directing one of the Star Trek movies and he was great to work with...he is my kind of director.

TFW:

Were there any other transformers that you enjoyed voicing even more? Were there any that

you preferred to voice as little as possible, and if so, why?

Welker:

I think we started doing dinos and rocks and prehistoric bugs it was getting a little out of hand. Those kinds of creatures will eventually put you in the old voice actor’s home. But all in all it was very enjoyable.

TFW:

Did you ever in your wildest imagination think that the Transformers would ever be going this strong over 25 years after you helped start everything off?

Welker:

Uh, no.

TFW:

What do you do to keep your voice in shape, especially for roles (such as Megatron and Soundwave) that can really hurt after a while?

Welker:

Not much really. I try and warm up on the way to sessions by doing the scales...and sing in my car (windows up of course) and sometime read aloud.

TFW:

Why do you think your voice is so versatile?

Welker:

Desperation....really, most of my voice actor buds can do voice gymnastics.

TFW:

Are there any sorts of exercises you can attribute this versatility to?

Welker:

No, not really. I think it is a gift, or in my case, an aberration.

TFW:

Are there any voices you find you are unable to do anymore?

Welker:

Can't really think of any. It's funny, as you get older you get more range. I find that I am doing all the same high voices I did like Freddy Jones from "Scooby Doo" now celebrating 40 years of being 17, and Curious George which is super high little squeaks and still have Soundwave who is at the other end of the spectrum.

TFW:

You've played a lot of villains over the years, what was your favorite "evil" role?

Welker:

Probably would be Megatron because he has been the longest running and most widely known. He is fun to do because there are no limits...he can be over the top and still work, or low and subtle and make wee ones have nightmares. And note, around this voice there is controversy, that is a good sign. I think it is important that you don't sound like people expect you to, always good, unless you are running for public office!

TFW:

Out of all your work, what has been your absolute favorite role? Why?

Welker:

That would be like trying to pick your favorite girlfriend. In the end they all have value and meaning and are special for who they were and how you danced with them. It would be unfair and unwise to pick one over the other.

TFW:

Please describe some of the work you've recently completed. What are some projects you'll be working on in the near future? Are there any projects coming up you'd like to be a part of? Are there any characters you haven't voiced yet that you'd the opportunity to voice?

Welker:

We continue on with a new season of "Curious George," number four actually, after winning an Emmy this past season. Great cast and crew keeps this show in top of the ratings and assures me of more bananas since I am Curious George. It keeps my acting chops honed going from the most evil of characters, Megatron to the sweet little monkey George. Along the way, we continue to do more Scooby Doo movies and Garfield the cat shows. I am a dog (Scooby Doo), and Freddy Jones (a teenager forever eighteen), a monkey and a cat (Garfield) along with other oddities which keeps me just slightly abnormal. Also, if you look closely you may see me in the "Informant", Matt Damon's new film. Other than that, it's mending fences and avoiding the draft.

TFW:

Are there other cartoons you've worked on through your career besides Transformers you would want to be a part of if they made it to the big screen?

Welker:

Hey the sky is the limit...with technology and imagination nothing is off the table, I just hope I can make the meetings!

TFW:

What advice would you give to someone wishing to become a voice actor?

Welker:

Know thy self, sage advice from old...but true. Don't wish you could do this or that, be honest with yourself. If you have the talent and inclination, no one can stop you. If you feel it inside that you can and must do this that is the first good sign. There are a lot of people who just want to do this...I had a dentist tell me he wanted to get into voices, I hear it all the time. It is a lot harder than folks think and you have to compete with some very good people.

Technically, I would first say...you should read, read, read, and try reading aloud. Practice doing commercials and animals (not too good please) and develop a range. Some actors are born with a beautiful voice and that is pretty much all they do. That is wonderful, but when you are born with an average tin voice like mine...you will need to develop a range. I can go from a baby to a 100 year old man with accents and dogs along the way that has saved me and given me a life in this business. Don't tell Peter Cullen I said this, but he is one of those guys born with a hauntingly good natural voice plus, he has a great range. He also consumes less food than most actors which makes him a triple threat!

TFW:

Which animal/creature did you find it hardest to make sounds for?

Welker:

A horse, a real horse whinny. I can do all the other stuff (nose clearing etc.) and you might believe you are listening to a real horse. But the whinny I can only do for a limited time and then like Flicka, she's out the barn gate and gone. I met a wonderfully talented young lady who does the most accurate birds calls I have ever heard, Nicole Perretta. I think some day she will do great things it is fun seeing new faces. I always prided myself on trying to be as authentic as possible when it came to working in film and looping animals. By the way, Nicole does a red tail hawk that blew me away and I am still trying to do it and others in her repertoire that put me to same.

TFW:

Having provided so many voices for an impressive number of projects, do you ever find it hard to give each of your different roles a unique "sound"? Have you ever re-used a voice from one show for a different character in a different show? Have you ever been asked to do so?

Welker:

Yes, it can be difficult coming up with totally new voices. I think we can vary them with accents and tricks of the trade, but physically you are simply who you are and there maybe limitations. But if you think about the incredible godfather of voice, Mel Blanc, he used a very similar voice for Sylvester that sounds a lot like Daffy Duck...and I don't think you would find anybody who would complain. His acting and the writing took you down different road and both characters stand out as unique and are classic.

TFW:

You've worked in voice acting for almost 50 years. How have you seen the business change over that time? Do you think that these changes have been for the better, the worse, or a mixture of the two? Similarly, how do you feel about the current state of animation?

Welker:

How could that be if I am only 39???!!!!! I am not sure how to answer that really...life is always morphing and there is good and bad to that. There are a lot of great new technical advances that allow artists to do more innovative things but I will always miss and appreciate the old style of animation.

TFW:

Are there any roles you are not so proud of, or would like to forget?

Welker:

Yeah, let's forget about them shall we!

TFW:

Are there any times you've heard yourself in a role and wished you could go back and redo it?

Welker:

Do you have an adding machine???

TFW2005 would like to thank Mr. Welker for sharing his time with the fans.

TFW2005 Frank Welker Part 1

TFW2005 Frank Welker Part 2

Guest DCAUFan1051

yet another update:

Episode 8 is LIVE as of last friday..... Episode 9 will be out this Friday. :D

here's a new posting from the PredaconEmpire forums:

While Season 2 still has four episodes left for me to cover I've been working on the Season 3 DVD's. As I've finished everything I can do on Season 2, currently I'm working up a different audio format for the show, it will still be 5 episodes per podcast ep, and it will still have the audio clips from each episode. however in an attempt to improve on the Podcast I'm adding a few new things for the Season 3 coverage. You'll just have to wait and listen as to what the new material is

MUH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (this post has been brought to you by Megatron from G1)

Guest DCAUFan1051

BIG NEWS:

I might have a super awesome special guest interview coming next month. And I've currently been reworking the format of the show as far as cutting down on the yawning and everything. Also Koete in the upcoming episodes there will be audio history stuff from the dvd's :D I remember you said something about background and stuff or someone said it. Also podcasters send me your 30 second clips about your shows.... I've got a special presentation for those. :D